No announcement yet.

Telford and the Scientists retreating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know, I have a feeling had he stayed on a doomed ship there would eventually be a complaint topic from at least one person that "Telford is an idiot! Why would he just stay to die when he could have saved himself?! And they are supposed to trust this guy's leadership now!?"
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I can agree with what a lot of people are saying about him dying along with everyone else would be pointless, however the way I think he left without saying a word to anyone was just plain wrong. Also there is no way he can command the Destiny now the crew simply won’t trust him, would you trust a commander who flees when things are going wrong? All he managed to do is to strengthen Young’s position as the commander, better to trust the colonel who is willing to give his life to save others than to trust the one who leaves you to die.
      "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
      "That he is concealing something."
      "Like what?"
      "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
      "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
      "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
      "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Exactly.
        He's military. I wouldn't have left and I'm not even in the military.
        I'm surrounded by military guys right now, I'll ask them they're opinion.

Comment

Okay they guys here say there is never any justification for abandoning a command.

(wow that was simple)

Comment

If Telford had waste about 2 second to say something like
            I am sorry ,i am leaving
            then run like the wind

Nobody could fault him for leaving ,nobody could ask him to not save himself, he could still be consider a hero.(in the very vey wide definition )

But what he did was
            quickly walk away in silence, not running but in hurry, he had more than enough time to say a few word , and then run.But he just walk quickly away in silence.Ignore Scott's question, ignore everyone else on board
            The crew were left in confusion, some of the crew probably still believe their brave commander Telford left to try to fix the situation.

A few word in that situation was the difference between a decent man and a snake.

Comment

This is why I am enjoying SGU so much, it has given us all an incredible amount of difficult and interesting topics to discuss and read peoples opinions about. None of them seem black or white just lots of shades of grey, and thats great.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                I agree with everything else you've said, but I take (minor) issue with this. Just because someone's in the military doesn't automatically make them heroic. Neither does rank; "failing upward" applies just as much in the military as it does in the private working world.
                I recently found out the my college ex-fiance retired from the army 5 years ago as a Lt Colonel. I never saw any great leadership skills in him. The guy was so much the shy quite type. But, he had been the head whatever of his high school ROTC, so maybe there was something I just never saw.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by godcity View Post
                  I think that the Destiny crew has lost any respect they had for Telford and will ignore him from now on.
                  Telford is a total Jack Ass.

His retreat from the destiny made Senator Kensey look courageous.

Then he has nerve to go to Col. Young's house and help himself to a fellow officer's wife?????

Seriously!!

They should feed this guy to Todd the Wraith. I mean, we have to keep Todd's strength up somehow don't we?
                  Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

And +1 in Karma to Rush for getting Telford to show everyone his ass.

They should give Greer a medal for punching Telford in the face.
                    Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

I'm interested to see if Telford ever finds out that this was a ruse. I'm sure he still has loyal soldiers on the Destiny who will eventually leak the information to him. I wonder what his counter-defense will be.

Comment

In comparison in this episode of SG1 where an asteroid is about to hit Earth a officer implies with a look to General Hammond, inquiring if he's going to the Alpha site to save his life along with the others..

Hammond simply says. "I haven't been relieved of my command."

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                          well of course. hence the reason why young is back in command and staying there. part of the reason for the whole cherade with the gate almost exploding was to shame telford and ensure they wouldn't try to set him up as a more permanent commander again.
                          I agree with you, especially the bolded portion. I also think it was a way for the writers to show, that the commanders on Earth really can't take full charge, because they can't know exactly what kinds of risks are appropriate to take aboard the Destiny. If something goes wrong, they can leave, which obviously isn't an option for the individuals actually stuck aboard. A good method to show why there will be a rift between Destiny and Earth-command.

I can agree with what a lot of people are saying about him dying along with everyone else would be pointless, however the way I think he left without saying a word to anyone was just plain wrong.
                          He's playing with the lives of the people on the ship, and he should let them know, if things don't go the way planned, we will abort. In fact, considering so many people aboard the Destiny are civilians, I don't understand why the military decisions have so much power. You would think there would be a government of some sort aboard the ship.

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                          Okay they guys here say there is never any justification for abandoning a command.

(wow that was simple)
                          Exactly. It's what the military, the police and fire departments have in common. The idea that you don't abandon your people. Think about it, if Telford could leave so easily, how could any of the military personnel trust him if they were in the battle field. He might easily make a deal to save himself, while it could put other soldiers in danger. Having said that, I don't think Young is all that better. While Telford makes selfish decisions, Young seems incapable of making tough decisions.

Originally posted by gatefanjo-m View Post
                          I'm interested to see if Telford ever finds out that this was a ruse. I'm sure he still has loyal soldiers on the Destiny who will eventually leak the information to him. I wonder what his counter-defense will be.
                          While I'm sure many soldiers despise Rush, I don't see how any soldier could respect Telford at this point. I'm not in the military, I don't know much about it, but from every I've read, and heard (from friends), it seems to me that the basic mentality within the military is the idea that soldiers need to stick together to protect themselves, or even if there's a legitimate reason not to stick together, the soldier in command should respect the soldier under him/her enough to explain his actions. Honestly, Telford is so confident in himself, so conceited that he doesn't respect his underlings. I hate that we're supposed to hate Telford, it's just b/w writing, but it doesn't bother me too much because it's just more a reason to get rid of the stones.

In comparison in this episode of SG1 where an asteroid is about to hit Earth a officer implies with a look to General Hammond, inquiring if he's going to the Alpha site to save his life along with the others..

Hammond simply says. "I haven't been relieved of my command."
                          YAY HAMMOND!

Comment

telefording running didn't surprise me. the other 2 running did
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

(wow that was simple)
                              Exactly!

Telford has now shown his true colours to everyone on the Destiny, so I really think it'll be very difficult for him to gain their trust back - if at all.

Jack didn't seem impressed with him either at the debriefing they had.

And then to go to Emily's (Young's wife) place to I can only assume do the horizontal mambo, was just WRONG on so many levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X