Telford and the Scientists retreating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telford and the Scientists retreating?

I am wondering what people’s opinions are on Telford and the two scientists disconnecting the stones when it looked like the Destiny was going to explode due to attempting to dial the gate while the ship was in the star? I can understand them not wanting to die on the ship but given that it was their fault should they have stayed and attempted to fix the problem? Young seemed pretty p***** with Telford saying something like “you turned tail and ran”. So do people think he did the right thing?
    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
    "That he is concealing something."
    "Like what?"
    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
    "I liked that movie!"

As much as I want to dislike them for turning tail and run, the guy at the briefing was right--there's no reason to have 3 more people die.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      As much as I want to dislike them for turning tail and run, the guy at the briefing was right--there's no reason to have 3 more people die.
      i think it looked cowardly

Comment

Well, of course it looked cowardly. But I still think it makes sense.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

He possibly could have stuck around longer to try to show some leadership skills, but there was no reason for him to die needlessly.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I think that the Destiny crew has lost any respect they had for Telford and will ignore him from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by godcity View Post
              I think that the Destiny crew has lost any respect they had for Telford and will ignore him from now on.
              They can't....at least those on the ship that are military. You don't simple ignore a Colonel because you don't like him

I agree it looked cowardly but I admit it was probably the right thing to do
              If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
              Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

He did the right thing, no matter how it looked. As far as he was concerned everyone was about to die, leadership wasn't an issue, so there was no point him, along with two other people dying when they didn't need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
                  They can't....at least those on the ship that are military. You don't simple ignore a Colonel because you don't like him

I agree it looked cowardly but I admit it was probably the right thing to do
                  I hate to initiate a "rabble rabble rabble, SG-1 is the bestest!" debate, but I think O'Neill would probably have stayed behind to lay in the bed he made.

I also still think that those orders were coming from the President/ IOA and O'Neill was reluctant on them. He doesn't seem to hold Telford in high regard.

The "captain" goes down with the ship. That's not just a symbolic gesture; it's a sign of respect to the ship and crew. Telford wanted to be on Destiny so damn bad, let him die there. The scientists, not so much, but their reputations would likely have been in tatters when they returned anyway.

Comment

A real leader...a person that has taken command will follow his troops into the battlefield he directs them to.

By Telford leaving...and giving up he has confirmed despite what his orders were, despite that dying there would have been pointless, he proved he was not interested in being their leader, but being the commander.

Comment

You know I have a big problem with saying Telford is a coward. He is in the end a US Airforce Colonel....if anything should be proof that he isn't it's that. So it isn't cowardice that made him leave. Having said that he is quite cold, logical and calculating and naturally since he had an out human insticnt would tell him to get out. However he would have also determine that there was no sense him dying with everyone else. Afterall as young said earlier in the episode, most likely whoever is connected to the bodies on erths side would most likely die too. so whatever way you cut it, if telford and the other two had stayed then 3 extra people would be dead needlessly. In the end he made the logical call.....albeit pretty cold and heartless but near as I can figure he doesn't exactly have a special attachment to anyone on that ship.
                      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        You know I have a big problem with saying Telford is a coward. He is in the end a US Airforce Colonel....if anything should be proof that he isn't it's that.
                        I agree with everything else you've said, but I take (minor) issue with this. Just because someone's in the military doesn't automatically make them heroic. Neither does rank; "failing upward" applies just as much in the military as it does in the private working world.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          I agree with everything else you've said, but I take (minor) issue with this. Just because someone's in the military doesn't automatically make them heroic. Neither does rank; "failing upward" applies just as much in the military as it does in the private working world.
                          i didn't say heroic. i merely said not cowardly. and i agree you can fail upwards in the military or get promoted for just pencil pushing but telford doesn't strike me as that kind of officer. i think he's most likely a great soldier.....just a bad leader of men.
                          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                            i didn't say heroic. i merely said not cowardly. and i agree you can fail upwards in the military or get promoted for just pencil pushing but telford doesn't strike me as that kind of officer. i think he's most likely a great soldier.....just a bad leader of men.
                            Well, it is a bit 'Icarus is where we put the screw ups', though. Young's appalling and Telford's not much better. I realise there can only be one Jack O'Neill but sheesh, they couldn't ask the Asgard for some clones?

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                              Well, it is a bit 'Icarus is where we put the screw ups', though. Young's appalling and Telford's not much better. I realise there can only be one Jack O'Neill but sheesh, they couldn't ask the Asgard for some clones?
                              How is Young "appalling"? In what sense do you mean this?

Comment

Working...
                              X