Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanksgiving (411)

Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON FOUR
    THANKSGIVING
    EPISODE NUMBER - 411

Peter and Nathan confront their mother about their discovery, while Noah brings an old friend to the family Thanksgiving. Lydia, one of Samuel's followers, asks for Hiro's help to learn the truth about Joseph's death.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; May 1st, 2015 at 11:20 PM.

Default Re: Thanksgiving (411)

First

Glad to see no one cares enough to even mention Lyle.
    <a href=http://slightlyremoved.wordpress.com/ target=_blank>http://slightlyremoved.wordpress.com/</a>

Second Lieutenant

i rather liked this episode...a few complaints though..

messing with Hiro's mind, erasing memories or whatever the hell he did..this has already happened to Hiro before and it was pretty pointless the first time...atleast let someuseful come from this same tired plot this time...for a min there, i thought we were going to see a much darker Hiro, which i would actually welcome at this point...the character really needs a change...

also, they really need to find a way to restore Peter's original empathic ability...ever since they neutered him there's been nobody equal to balance the power against Sylar...

beside these small complaints, i thought the episode was pretty good...

Running for my life from a hoard of zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeis View Post
    First

Wow, that never even occurred to me. You are totally right.

MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Second Lieutenant

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't peter take abilities from others?

What ability would he get from Sylar? One? His original? The one he's currently using? All of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Archaeis View Post
    First

Quote Originally Posted by the fifth man View Post
    Wow, that never even occurred to me. You are totally right.
    Quote Originally Posted by beafly View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't peter take abilities from others?

What ability would he get from Sylar? One? His original? The one he's currently using? All of them?
    I fear these questions will lead us down an all to familiar path of plot holes, inconsistencies, and headaches.

But anyways, Lyle never existed... lets look at it that way.

Ok guys, I rewatched the episode. They did mention Lyle.

Benet said he was busy at school, and he couldn't get away.

Captain

well last time he got only his shapeshifting ability
    and later he got only his flying when he was Nathan
    so I guess he can only take one

I wonder what will happen if Peter goes back in time and takes his original ability from his old self

Second Lieutenant

i'm not even sure how Peter is able to selectively take 1 ability from someone like Sylar...i guess you could say he takes the power that the person currently has active but, Sylar didn't have the shapeshifting ability active when he took it...in any case, all Peter has to do is take Sylar's Empathic mimicry and he should instantly have every other ability Sylar has...but, the show does have a knack for avoiding the obvious (claire's blood and nathan)...i'm still hoping at some point, Peter's touch Empathic ability will eventually evolve into his original...

Shielding McKay From Sunlight And Falling Citrus

maybe peter doesnt know about sylars empathic ability since maybe he still believes he kills by slicing his victims heads

even if peter got his empathic ability from sylar and absorbed any other powers so would that mean if peter used his limited power replication would it overide the collected powers and start again at one at a time???

Probie

I was most upset at Hiro. Just when he grows a pair, they cut them off with a mind wipe thing. Watch the guy with the dreds end up being the Hatian's (now Renee it seems) cousin.

The Nathan/Sylar thing didn't play out like I imagined. I hope they get this one right. Considering Adrian Pasdar is getting written out of the show I imagine he will eventually get "killed" for good.

I also reiterate the sentiments of others in that Peter needs his original power back. It just isn't the same without him being the anti-Sylar.

Oh, I also noticed that the "Slow Burn" product placement side series is now in line with the show proper.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by boyd22 View Post
    messing with Hiro's mind, erasing memories or whatever the hell he did..this has already happened to Hiro before and it was pretty pointless the first time...atleast let someuseful come from this same tired plot this time...for a min there, i thought we were going to see a much darker Hiro, which i would actually welcome at this point...the character really needs a change.
    I'd actually agree here. It'll be interesting to see where Hiro goes off too now, but we've already been here.

With his mind erased, he now has no memory of Charlie, no memory of Ando and his sister, nor does he have any memory of putting Mohinder in that hospital. Guess we wont be seeing him anytime soon...

Was nice though, to see the suprised look on Samuel's face. Obviously a person with such power, hasn't thought of all the possabilities.

also, they really need to find a way to restore Peter's original empathic ability...ever since they neutered him there's been nobody equal to balance the power against Sylar.
    I'd also agree with this too. They dubbed him down because he was too powerful, yet I always thought Sylar was more powerful. If they dub down Peter, why not Sylar?

One at a time yeah, he can't use more than one at the moment though.

I guess Peter gets to choose. When him and Nathan were fighting Sylar that time, Peter managed to acquire the shapeshifting ability, didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
    I wonder what will happen if Peter goes back in time and takes his original ability from his old self
    A good idea that, shame it'll never happen.

all Peter has to do is take Sylar's Empathic mimicry and he should instantly have every other ability Sylar has...but, the show does have a knack for avoiding the obvious (claire's blood and nathan)...i'm still hoping at some point, Peter's touch Empathic ability will eventually evolve into his original...
    If Peter ever does go and get his original power back, it'll be via other means than the obvious. You can guarentee it.

Was also nice to see the spin with Edgar, hopefully we'll see him team up with Noah or something in the future, to battle Samuel. Seems also, that those of us who predicted it was Samuel who killed his brother were right, and in addition, that Claire would seek out the circuis lot.

It'll also be interesting to see if Sylar (once fully returned) has any memory of that circuis.

Quote Originally Posted by MasonC2K View Post
    Oh, I also noticed that the "Slow Burn" product placement side series is now in line with the show proper.
    Uhhm... What?

I also see Noah getting it together with Lauren, explains her in that episode the other week. I think she'll be killed off though, leading Noah into some sort of revenge freak thing, I don't know.
    Last edited by Aerilon; November 24th, 2009 at 10:41 AM.

It's Probin' Time!

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by MasonC2K View Post
    I was most upset at Hiro. Just when he grows a pair, they cut them off with a mind wipe thing. Watch the guy with the dreds end up being the Hatian's (now Renee it seems) cousin.
    I don't think he wiped Hiro's mind. That may have been what Samuel told him to do, but judging by the look on Samuel's face, it didn't play out how he wanted. Maybe he placed some memories in Hiro.
    http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6...tleworking.jpg
    Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Why is everyone so shocked at samuel killing Joseph when they are fine with him killing so many other people? I get that he meant a bit more to them, but they are used to him killing people by now.
    <a href=http://slightlyremoved.wordpress.com/ target=_blank>http://slightlyremoved.wordpress.com/</a>

Major

Well, with all the 'family' talk you wouldn't think he would kill his friggin BROTHER.

Anyway, Lyle WAS mentioned in the episode, says he was busy with school so he couldn't come. I guess the actor wasn't available.

And what was Hiro talking about when he warped away from the carnies? Something about saving someone?
    Mia: Don't you hate that?
    Vincent: Hate what?
    Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
    Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
    Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
    - Pulp Fiction

The show has fallen to bits. A mere shadow of it's former self.

Lieutenant Colonel EvilSpaceAlien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marty2006 View Post
    The show has fallen to bits. A mere shadow of it's former self.
    Old news. Just take look at season 3....

It was a pretty good episode. Not one of the best, but okay.

It'll be intereting to see what Edgar and Lydia will do now when they know the truth.

The episode also had a lot of funny moments like the Bennet family thanksgiving dinner.

Doug: "Can I just interject something here?"
    Everybody else: "NO!"

Quote Originally Posted by TBA View Post
    And what was Hiro talking about when he warped away from the carnies? Something about saving someone?
    I can't really remember specific Hiro's words, but it was something like this:
    "Must save Watson. Beam me up Scotty"

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
    Old news. Just take look at season 3....

It was a pretty good episode. Not one of the best, but okay.

It'll be intereting to see what Edgar and Lydia will do now when they know the truth.

The episode also had a lot of funny moments like the Bennet family thanksgiving dinner.

Doug: "Can I just interject something here?"
    Everybody else: "NO!"

I can't really remember specific Hiro's words, but it was something like this:
    "Must save Watson. Beam me up Scotty
    "
    I think his memory had been wiped back to the point where ando and himself were saving the little girls cat. What was the cats name again? Was it Mr Watson?

Chief Master Sergeant entil2001's Avatar

Holiday-themed episodes have a tendency to play to nostalgia and tradition. They can be a cringe-inducing subset of the “very special episode” syndrome. The trick is to subvert the typical expectations that come with the territory. “Buffy”, for example, managed to do it very well.

This particular spin on the convention is broken into three parts, where the coming together at a family meal brings more than just the usual level of conflict and recrimination. The treatment of each Thanksgiving dinner is more or less a success, and has everything to do with the strengths of the characters involved.

The best material belongs to Samuel and his carnival family, as the truth about Joseph Sullivan’s death comes out. Suddenly Edgar’s displeasure with Samuel from the beginning comes into focus. Hiro finally gets to show a bit of backbone, even if he’s still mostly whining about Charlie, and one can only hope that this will lead to a permanent transition into a more serious character as a whole. (Especially since it is highly unlikely that we will ever see Charlie again.)

I still like Samuel, even if his motivations are now almost entirely villainous. Robert Knepper continues to give the character a sense of style and energy that has been missing from most of the cast for quite some time. Only Sylar seems to be given the same opportunity to stretch, and that had to be a concession to Zachery Quinto, to ensure that he remains on the show to the bitter end.

Speaking of Sylar, the Petrelli Thanksgiving dinner was a close second to the carnival festivities. While the carnival plot thread began to answer some lingering questions about Sullivan brothers, this plot thread took on the consequences of the third season finale. The emergence of Sylar brought on some deliciously evil moments, and I wasn’t entirely sure that Angela was going to survive the night.

It occurred to me, however, that the writers managed to sneak some muddled storytelling into the mix. When Peter needed to follow Nathan in the previous episode, he absorbed Nathan’s ability. But “Nathan” is really Sylar, programmed to believe that he can only use Nathan’s flying ability. The core ability is still Sylar’s innate ability to take on the abilities of others. So shouldn’t Peter have absorbed Sylar’s ability?

Of course, that would put Peter back on a level that is too high for the good of the plot, and would prevent the logical solution to the Sylar problem: getting everyone together at the carnival for one big “Heroes” smackdown. I still firmly believe that Sylar is going to return to the carnival, learn the secret of Samuel’s power, and absorb it. If anyone can learn how to decouple Samuel’s earth-moving power from the metahuman-cascade effect, Sylar could. And then the question would be: how do all those heroes fight Sylar, when just being around him suddenly gives him a massive power boost? (On the other hand, it could be the one thing that keeps Sylar in check, because he would have to stop killing everyone for powers to preserve his new power source.)

At any rate, this leaves only the Bennett family dinner, and as usual, that is far less effective than the other two plot threads. Those stories had Samuel and Sylar; this has Claire and the same Noah that has been grasping for a purpose this season. The antics with Sandra, Lauren, and Doug did provide a lighter counterpoint to the darker elements in the other plot threads, but it just underscored how little these characters have been measuring up.

I will say, however, that the return of Lauren was a nice touch, and the return of Gretchen was a pleasant surprise. The writers are doing a nice job of treading a fine line with Claire and Gretchen. While they are technically not together as a romantic couple, there are clear undertones of chemistry between them. I suspect the writers will keep riding that line, so that the viewers can draw their own conclusions, but this is less exploitive than it could have been.

The biggest problem with the episode is that it didn’t move the plot forward overly much. This season has been all about the measured pace, but this brought the momentum down a notch. Nathan and Sylar could have had their final showdown already, and Claire didn’t really need more time to decide that she was going to find Samuel. Hopefully this is simply the prelude to a more active next episode.

Second Lieutenant

from the spoilers i've been reading on other sites,
    Spoiler:
    next mondays episode is supposedly Pasdar's official departure from the show..which means its the end for Nathan next monday..i wouldn't hold my breath though, as many times the character has supposedly died, i wouldn't be surprised if they turned the character into a damn zombie...