• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shadowboxing (409)

Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON FOUR
    SHADOWBOXING
    EPISODE NUMBER - 409

While Claire and her father decide how to protect her roommate from Becky, Samuel goes to speak to Claire. Now in control of Parkman's body, Sylar heads for New York. Peter uses his new ability to heal accident victims, but it takes its toll.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 May 2015, 10:19 PM.

meh
    back to boring this week

Comment

I actually thought this episode was quite good. Although I admit, I was hoping to see a development with the Hiro / Mohinder story. I'm curious too, as to whether or not Claire will join the circus freaks, only to later find out what Samuel is really like, and then end up back with her Dad.

I think, at some point, every one of the circuis people will find out what Samuel is really like. I think, at the moment, they may see him as a saviour, but I doubt all of them would appreciate the things he has done. I conclude that this will come to light at some point.

Also interesting, is the Matt / Sylar showdown. IF that character is now dead, then Matt is the character that is going to be killed off. It will though, be very interesting to see how they go about the Sylar storyline. Will someone transfer Sylar's 'mind' from Matt's dead body, back to where it belongs, or will the circuis lot simply create a new Sylar (thus essentially, the bad guy we've known from previous seasons, will no longer exist).
      sigpic
      It's Probin' Time!

Comment

This episode could have been great, if not for two things: The scene with Matt in the ambulance at the end, and Gretchen leaving.

Comment

this episode had its moments, but it was alittle boring...maybe its just me, but i find claire centric episode's are always alittle dull...Samual's interaction with HRG was interesting, Samual seemed surprised when he showed up...and we learned that Danko killed Sam's brother..

next weeks episode though, looks like it will be great...

Comment

and we learned that Danko killed Sam's brother..
            We knew that already.

Comment

I thought this was a good ep, though it would have been better had they actually killed off Parkman/Sylar. Not that I've got anything against Parkman, but it took away from the shock value when they kept him alive.

Claire seems to be fully reconciled with her dad now- I like the fact that they're actually understanding each other now.

I like Peter's storyline and how it's going so far. Of course, nothing big plot wise has happened so far with him, so it's really still TBD.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Originally posted by Joachim View Post
                We knew that already.
                did we? hmm i must have missed that part..

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
                  I thought this was a good ep, though it would have been better had they actually killed off Parkman/Sylar. Not that I've got anything against Parkman, but it took away from the shock value when they kept him alive.

Claire seems to be fully reconciled with her dad now- I like the fact that they're actually understanding each other now.

I like Peter's storyline and how it's going so far. Of course, nothing big plot wise has happened so far with him, so it's really still TBD.
                  i think his storyline will become more interesting when he figures out what happened to Nathan and Sylar...which by the looks of it, he'll find out about Nathan in the next episode...

Comment

Originally posted by boyd22 View Post
                    i think his storyline will become more interesting when he figures out what happened to Nathan and Sylar...which by the looks of it, he'll find out about Nathan in the next episode...
                    I feel bad for Peter. This is going to be very tough on him.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      I feel bad for Peter. This is going to be very tough on him.
                      indeed, but i think the sadness will quickly turn into anger at what his mother, Parkman and HRG did...

Comment

I could've swore Peter knew, at least to some degree, especially with the way that Peter was acting awkwardly around him and trying to avoid him early in the season.

Comment

Peter wasn't really fond of Nathan because Nathan was the one who set up Building 26, remember
                          Mia: Don't you hate that?
                          Vincent: Hate what?
                          Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                          Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                          Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                          - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Something funny has happened since the rough start to the fourth season. “Heroes” has actually gotten some good storylines going. I find that the success or failure of an episode has everything to do with which plot threads are currently being explored, and by extension, which characters are involved. I mentioned this in a review for one of the earlier fourth season episodes, and it continues to be true.

I've liked the Matt/Sylar battle since the beginning of the season, and it's only gotten better with time. I thought that Sylar's ploy to take over Matt's body was very well done, but I think I like Matt's chess game with Sylar in this episode even more. Both of them are playing for high stakes and adopting a “scorched earth” policy that fits their personalities. Sylar is willing to destroy Matt's life and kill innocents to gain advantage; Matt is willing to sacrifice his own life to stop Sylar.

The best part about Matt's decision in this episode, however unlikely it is to succeed, is the fact that this is his chance to redeem himself for the mistake of helping Angela with her plan at the end of the third season. He's not talking about redemption; he just does what he feels is necessary. It's far more believable and genuine when redemption, or the search for it, is unspoken.

Quite unexpectedly, I liked Claire's subplot this time. I almost wish that Gretchen could have stuck around for a bit longer, since her swift departure plays into the notion that the lesbian angle was just used for shock value. But her departure does make sense in terms of Claire's sense of isolation, and the circumstances could very well drive a wedge between father and daughter.

In the end, Samuel could get what he wants: Claire within the watchful care of the carnival. His plan may have been a bit more complicated than necessary (almost to the point of being impossible to follow), but the end game is still just as compelling as it has been all the while. I've always felt that Samuel was the saving grace for this season, and this just continues to prove the point. I just hope that the writers manage to make the inevitable revelations worth it. They have a bad track record with developing strong conclusions to their arcs.

Hopefully Samuel's latest act has resulted in a more satisfying subplot for Noah. His character has been aimless this season, with several false starts, and it would be nice to see him finally get on a solid and meaningful course. Hunting down the truth about Samuel is a promising direction, but the writers definitely need to approach it carefully. It would be all too easy for Samuel to be rendered as an absolute villain; it would be a lot more interesting if the situation could be seen from differing perspectives.

Considering how Peter and his issues used to be one of the worst aspects of the series, I was shocked to discover how much I like his relationship with Emma and his struggle with the healing ability. I found his desire to heal more and more people, despite the effect on his own health, to be a logical extension of his earlier behavior. Emma's medical scenes were a bit overdone, but when that's the worst thing I can say about an episode of “Heroes”, that's a very good thing.

With the ratings so low and the show essentially on its last legs, I get the feeling that the gloves have come off and they are just doing their best to go out swinging. Maybe that's why, for the first time in a long time, I find myself looking forward to each new episode. I didn't want this one to end.

Comment

Originally posted by Joachim View Post
                              I could've swore Peter knew, at least to some degree, especially with the way that Peter was acting awkwardly around him and trying to avoid him early in the season.
                              i think that was more about distancing himself from the life hes lived over the past few years...he cut ties with everybody he knew to try and start a new life saving people...

Comment

Working...
                              X