Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Stargate: Universe" is a U.S. Military Drama

Since there were a lot of science fiction elements in "SG-1" and "Atlantis", the military aspects of the show faded into the background. You were not affected by those elements as much. Now, "Stargate: Universe" is similar to watching the show "Jag". Instead of telling science-fiction stories that provoke interest, the writers chose to make the franchise into a military based show.

Why bother watching if the show is not science-fiction? I can watch "NCIS" on Tuesdays instead. I watch "Stargate" for the science-fiction, and I don't watch it for the military and bureaucrat drama.

Originally posted by Col. Tomorian View Post
    Since there were a lot of science fiction elements in "SG-1" and "Atlantis", the military aspects of the show faded into the background. You were not affected by those elements as much. Now, "Stargate: Universe" is similar to watching the show "Jag". Instead of telling science-fiction stories that provoke interest, the writers chose to make the franchise into a military advertisement.

Would not that make "Stargate" into a military drama instead of a science-fiction series?

Why bother watching if the show is not science-fiction? I can watch "NCIS" on Tuesdays instead.
    SGU is (as were SG-1 and SGA) a military science fiction show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_science_fiction
    Sig by Pandora's Box
    sigpic

Comment

Since there were a lot of science fiction elements in "SG-1" and "Atlantis", the military aspects of the show faded into the background. You were not affected by those elements as much. Now, "Stargate: Universe" is similar to watching the show "Jag". Instead of telling science-fiction stories that provoke interest, the writers chose to make the franchise into a military advertisement.

Would not that make "Stargate" into a military drama instead of a science-fiction series?

Why bother watching if the show is not science-fiction? I can watch "NCIS" on Tuesdays instead.
      But it IS still science fiction, but a bit stripped from all of this techno babbling. It's a different category though.

It's more focused on people, but it's still a sci-fi. It would be boring if the next show was a replica of the previous one, just in different circumstanes. This difference is the major reason why I'm waiting so impatiently for the next episode.

Personally I think it's not less sci-fi just because it shows more people less technology.

You may disagree with me of course, and I respect your opinion.
      sigpic

Comment

It's a military drama, sure, but I don't think it's "instead of" scifi, but "as well as".
        "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
        Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
        Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
        Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
        Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Since there were a lot of science fiction elements in "SG-1" and "Atlantis", the military aspects of the show faded into the background. You were not affected by those elements as much. Now, "Stargate: Universe" is similar to watching the show "Jag". Instead of telling science-fiction stories that provoke interest, the writers chose to make the franchise into a military based show.

Why bother watching if the show is not science-fiction? I can watch "NCIS" on Tuesdays instead. I watch "Stargate" for the science-fiction, and I don't watch it for the military and bureaucrat drama.
          Actually... that's kinda more reason for me to watch.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't call SGU "JAG in Space" though

The funny thing is that on the Destiny there's actually not very many officers.
            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
              I wouldn't call SGU "JAG in Space" though

The funny thing is that on the Destiny there's actually not very many officers.
              I agree. I can't see the JAG in space angle. It does have a military aspect, but one that I find fairly respectful to both those in and out of the military. It is what it is and I don't know that I would like the franchaise without the military angle.

Comment

SGU is probably more of a science fiction show than SG-1 or Atlantis were. Things like the implications of the Ancient stones (and the science fiction elements of the show in general) are actually explored in SGU, whereas in SG-1 they'd be used to make a nice hour long action story and hardly ever be referenced again.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                  SGU is probably more of a science fiction show than SG-1 or Atlantis were. Things like the implications of the Ancient stones (and the science fiction elements of the show in general) are actually explored in SGU, whereas in SG-1 they'd be used to make a nice hour long action story and hardly ever be referenced again.
                  With the exception of the Stargate that is...

Seriously, they may the use the comm stones more, but now the Stargate itself seems more like an afterthought.

Comment

I think that both SGA & SG1 where all about the gate & tech stuff. We never really saw the human factor. Like wow how do you really process waking a an enemy that beat the ancients? BTW fighting that enemy with limited bullets! before we got the zpm!

Currently Watching: SGU Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice

Rewatch: BSG, SGA, SG:1 Farscape, X files

Comment

WAAAAAAAAAAH!

U.S. JINGOISM! WAAAAAAH!

MILITARY SHOW! WAAAAAH!

Do you even like Stargate?

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, SGU is Sci-fi Drama, while SG1/SGA were Sci-Fi Action/Adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          As far as I'm concerned, SGU is Sci-fi Drama, while SG1/SGA were Sci-Fi Action/Adventure.
                          And both are all good but may tend to not always have the same set of viewers, or viewer interest.
                          If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                          Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by jwgrlrrajn View Post
                            With the exception of the Stargate that is...

Seriously, they may the use the comm stones more, but now the Stargate itself seems more like an afterthought.
                            Not really. The gate is still a big part of the show just not as much. Personally I like how more character involved SGU is.
                            Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                            "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                            Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Coronach View Post
                              SGU is (as were SG-1 and SGA) a military science fiction show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_science_fiction

Comment

Working...
                              X