Incoming 9 Chevron Wormholes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incoming 9 Chevron Wormholes

So presumably Destiny would have to dial 9 chevrons to connect to Earth (SGC/Atlantis assuming they haven't moved the Pegasus gate yet). Here's what I'm wondering could a normal gate handle the power requirements to receive a 9 chevron address. I point this out because when Thor dialed into the SGC from Ida he blacked out the whole building with the power requirements of the wormhole. So, would the SGC be able to even handle Destiny dialing in?

The SGC would explode.....that would be a sweet twist!

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
      So presumably Destiny would have to dial 9 chevrons to connect to Earth (SGC/Atlantis assuming they haven't moved the Pegasus gate yet). Here's what I'm wondering could a normal gate handle the power requirements to receive a 9 chevron address. I point this out because when Thor dialed into the SGC from Ida he blacked out the whole building with the power requirements of the wormhole. So, would the SGC be able to even handle Destiny dialing in?
      A lot of people believe that Destiny has prototype gates. If they handled dial IN all other gates most definitely do that as well.
      The cake is a lie...

Comment

The lights didn't go out due to power needs when the Asgard dialed in... they did that so they wouldn't activate the iris and have Freyr go splat

Comment

A normal intergalactic connection only requires 8 chevrons. It took 9 to reach Destiny, I think, not because it was so far away, but because the ship's location was unknown. It would probably only take 8 to dial back to Earth. (I'm just guessing. I don't think they've ever stated this on the show)

Comment

If the 9th Chevron is on the gates in both MW & Atlantis I would say you could dial out if you had the power requirements! Then again the ancients must of gone green with the Zpm's only 3 to power a cityship the size of Manhanttan!

Currently Watching: SGU Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice

Rewatch: BSG, SGA, SG:1 Farscape, X files

Comment

The dying of the power was not the cause of the whole "Dialling from Ida'. It was, as a learned colleague has previously said, a way to deal with the SGC iris. The SGC doesnt black out when Atlantis dials home for status updates.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                the gate didnt drain the power, the asgard diasbled the power so they couldnt close the iris and kill him.

Comment

Originally posted by Archetype View Post
                  A normal intergalactic connection only requires 8 chevrons. It took 9 to reach Destiny, I think, not because it was so far away, but because the ship's location was unknown. It would probably only take 8 to dial back to Earth. (I'm just guessing. I don't think they've ever stated this on the show)
                  It was stated in Air part 2:
                  Spoiler:

GATEROOM. Riley has been looking at the console in the room and now calls Young and Greer over.

RILEY: Sir, I think I've got it. It wasn't even that hard to find - it's right here in the dialling programme.

YOUNG: You sure?

RILEY: Yes. It's an eight symbol address.

GREER: You mean you can dial this thing back to Earth?

RILEY: There's no Point of Origin indicated but, still, there's only thirty-six symbols on this Gate. I'm assuming the ninth symbol represents some x-factor distance equation.

There you go. There is only one gate that can receive a 9 chevron dial, the Destiny gate. Incomming=9 chevrons out=8 chevron at least for earth.
                  sigpic
                  - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                    Spoiler:

GATEROOM. Riley has been looking at the console in the room and now calls Young and Greer over.

RILEY: Sir, I think I've got it. It wasn't even that hard to find - it's right here in the dialling programme.

RILEY: There's no Point of Origin indicated but, still, there's only thirty-six symbols on this Gate. I'm assuming the ninth symbol represents some x-factor distance equation.

There you go. There is only one gate that can receive a 9 chevron dial, the Destiny gate. Incomming=9 chevrons out=8 chevron at least for earth.
                    Well the Destiny's address/code found in the Atlantis database was only 8 symbols and they had to determine the final symbol (Earth PoO) to connect the wormhole. I think the same thing applies for Destiny dialling back to Earth, 8 symbol address + Destiny’s PoO as the 9th.
                    "So, what's your impression of Alar?"
                    "That he is concealing something."
                    "Like what?"
                    "I am unsure. He is concealing it."

"Well, according to Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity, there’s nothing in the laws of physics to prevent it. Extremely difficult to achieve, mind you – you need the technology to manipulate black holes to create wormholes not only through points in space but time."
                    "Not to mention a really nice DeLorean."
                    "Don’t even get me started on that movie!"
                    "I liked that movie!"

Comment

Originally posted by Control_Chair View Post
                      Well the Destiny's address/code found in the Atlantis database was only 8 symbols and they had to determine the final symbol (Earth PoO) to connect the wormhole. I think the same thing applies for Destiny dialling back to Earth, 8 symbol address + Destiny’s PoO as the 9th.
                      Maybe not. Daniel in the introduction movies shown to Eli said "To finally dial the 9 chevron address found in the ancient database." It is not fact though that maybe the address they found already had the nine chevron altogether. Yes the Earth PoO. Since they where not on earth they changed the last chevron to the new supposed PoO making the address miss-dial to an "inexistent number". To dial the Destiny one need not of a PoO he has to use Earth point of origin as a kind of code.
                      sigpic
                      - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Originally posted by Steelbox View Post
                        Spoiler:

Nice work. That quote should tell us everything we need to know about dialing Earth. Unfortunately, I'm still confused.

Here, Riley says "it's an eight-symbol address" but then says there's "no point of origin." This either means he's looking at an address with seven specified symbols followed by a "question mark" or he's looking at eight-specific symbols and recognizes that none of them are a point of origin. He then goes on to speculate about the significance of the ninth symbol.

It makes sense there would be no specified point of origin for a moving ship, but why does he even bother to mention the ninth symbol at all? The way it's worded, it sounds as if the eight-symbol address he found is insufficient and they're going to need to "guess" the ninth symbol in order to dial Earth.

Comment

It makes sense there would be no specified point of origin for a moving ship, but why does he even bother to mention the ninth symbol at all? The way it's worded, it sounds as if the eight-symbol address he found is insufficient and they're going to need to "guess" the ninth symbol in order to dial Earth.
                          That's because there is no chance that an eight-chevron address could be used to get from the Destiny back to Earth, even if each eight-chevron address stood for a whole galaxy.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

the only reason an incoming wormhole would drain power would be if the dialling side lost power when in transit

Comment

Nice work. That quote should tell us everything we need to know about dialing Earth. Unfortunately, I'm still confused.

Here, Riley says "it's an eight-symbol address" but then says there's "no point of origin." This either means he's looking at an address with seven specified symbols followed by a "question mark" or he's looking at eight-specific symbols and recognizes that none of them are a point of origin. He then goes on to speculate about the significance of the ninth symbol.

I think he somehow knew, maybe the screen indicates it or something.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS...

But I think the larger question is this. If the only purpose for the 9th chevron is to dial Destiny, why make the dialing system on that ship able to dial 9 chevrons? I mean, really...maybe because,
                              Spoiler:
                              although the Stargate on SGU has a limited range, meaning can only go so far, but the 9th chevron somehow changes that rule and will allow them to dial Earth -- because as Eli mentioned, the 9th chevron is meant to be dialed from Earth (where Atlantis was).

Who knows but it's interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X