Dialing Destiny From A Ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialing Destiny From A Ship

So, The IOA said they might have way to dial the destiny from one of our ships..... why don't they just send Telford?

I can see they don't wanna put his life in jeopardy, so chuck some supplies through the gate!

They should of waited to see if they could gate TO destiny before they try to gate EVERYONE off destiny..
    67 point(s) total!!!!

Originally posted by eliteaceman View Post

They should of waited to see if they could gate TO destiny before they try to gate EVERYONE off destiny..
    They (thought they) they needed the power from a sun to open a wormhole for that distance and didn't have the capacity on Earth. Which makes me wonder how the heck they plan to get their expedition team out there if they can get everyone home
    If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
    Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
      They (thought they) they needed the power from a sun to open a wormhole for that distance and didn't have the capacity on Earth. Which makes me wonder how the heck they plan to get their expedition team out there if they can get everyone home
      My point was the IOA guy seemed to think they could dial destiny from one of our ships.....
      67 point(s) total!!!!

Comment

They should just take a gate close to a black hole, (like in the pegasus project), dial up destiny and send some supplies through.
        "i'm not doctor weir"

yeah, damn straight.

Comment

The episode stated that their experiment with dialing the Destiny Stargate would be a source of information that will help them dial Destiny from an Earth ship. They haven't figured it out yet and, since the experiment went kaflooey, they won't for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            The episode stated that their experiment with dialing the Destiny Stargate would be a source of information that will help them dial Destiny from an Earth ship. They haven't figured it out yet and, since the experiment went kaflooey, they won't for a long time.
            I tend to agree with your opinion here. I would also be interested to see how they would harness the power/energy from a star from a Daedalus-class Earth ship considering the Destiny does it with those solar-power collector thingies built into the ship. They would need to figure out a way to replicate that technology one of our ships & I highly doubt we would have access to the Destiny's schematics in order to study it to replicate that technology, even with the Asgard core; unless a suitable replacement or subtitute could be found.

Comment

that was the idea..... use the information from Destiny to allow our own ships to solar dive and dial destiny

Comment

Yeah I think this one's going to have to be explained a lil bit more!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

We know for a fact Deddy class ships sheilds can take being really close to the sun. If they can macguyver the sheilds to channel the power into a stargate they could probably dial destiny. If something goes wrong they blow the stargate into space before it explodes.

Its expensive and dangerous and I dont know if Earth would risk it. This last plan didnt risk any earth asset other than 3 officers. Risking a whole ship thats needed for defense... thats a biggy. Especially to save people i would have written off already.

Comment

all they gotta do is find a power source powerful enough like the Icarus planet or the black hole thingy so let the writers know what they need.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      that was the idea..... use the information from Destiny to allow our own ships to solar dive and dial destiny
                      destiny is some of the oldest ancient tech, how to do such things should be in the ancient DB from atlantis. given how technology minimizes in size over time, i bet atlantis had the sun recharging tech built into a small cupboard just behind that screen in the control room................. just no one bothered too look
                      sigpic
                      EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                      -Liberty Prime

Comment

I think at some point of SGU we will see the return of the Ori supergate, we know it is capable of dialing across the universe and it is powered by a black hole. It is the only plausible way of getting the crew home, if Earth can manage to connect to a stargate near Destiny. They then get Destiny to fire on the shields to make it expand and collapse the planet, the supergate parts could be sent through and build itself on the other side. Then send a 304 through to rescue the crew and then there is now a constant link between Earth and Destiny.

We don't yet know how fast Destiny is compared to the Asgard hyperdrives on the 304's, but it is a safe bet that they are far slower. So Destiny will always be within a reachable distance of any ships Earth has.
                        Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Your assuming we know how to reverse engineer a Supergate. We can't even build a Stargate and that is proabably simpler then a Supergate
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

I don't think it will be using a Deadalus class ship. A Deadalus class ships shields might be able to withstand the sun, but what they need is to channel the energy. They would therefore have to alter the ship ins such a way that it can channel this energy. It is most likely that they would build a new ship designed specifically to utilise tis type of poewer source.

Originally posted by malfunction
                            I think at some point of SGU we will see the return of the Ori supergate, we know it is capable of dialing across the universe and it is powered by a black hole. It is the only plausible way of getting the crew home, if Earth can manage to connect to a stargate near Destiny.
                            They would first need the energy to diall a normal gate to a gate in the Destiny galaxy. It is possible, they did it in the Pegasus project. But it might be that becasue the Destiny galaxy is so far away they would have to be more careful becasue of the energy requierments. In Air it is shown that they had to have very precise energy calculations. It might be that the energy needed to diall galaxies that far away is close to the limit of energy the gates can handle.

Originally posted by malfunction
                            They then get Destiny to fire on the shields to make it expand and collapse the planet, the supergate parts could be sent through and build itself on the other side. Then send a 304 through to rescue the crew and then there is now a constant link between Earth and Destiny.
                            Better way would be to send a mark IX, and desging it to hit the shield after it's established. the Destiny weapons might not be powerful enough.

If they have to do it on their own it would take years if not decades. The only ones who have the knowledge to turn planets in black holes and build supergates are the priors. They would need the priors to help them if they want to do it faster. However there is no telling if the priors are willing to help Earth, and even if they are they might not be able to because there is bound to be a fall out in the Ori galaxy from the events in AoT

But i also think a combination of black hole/ stargate is the best option to reach the Destiny
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Betelgeuze View Post
                              The only ones who have the knowledge to turn planets in black holes and build supergates are the priors.
                              The Asgard know how to collapse a star into a black hole as seen in 'New Order.' The star in that episode wasn't even going to end us a black hole either, so the Asgard altered its state completely the knowledge is in the Asgard core somewhere.

Your assuming we know how to reverse engineer a Supergate. We can't even build a Stargate and that is probably simpler then a Supergate
                              TPTB could just decide that Earth now knows how to build a stargate, the Asgard must have known how to build a stargate and that knowledge has to be in the core as well. The Nox could build a stargate with the Tollan and the Asgard were in the Alliance with the Nox, so it stands to reason the Asgard have the knowledge too.

The Asgard have shown a lot of knowledge about the stargates, we've seen Thor open a wormhole without the kawoosh and the Asgard were also able to turn the power off in the SGC before they opened a wormhole to Earth.
                              Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Working...
                              X