The Plan to get them home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Plan to get them home

They dialled Icarus(Planet) to the Destiny(Moving Ship) but is it possible to do moving ship to planet? How do they figured that out?

What did they used was a point of origin?

What is the supposed 9 Symbols Address?

The rest of the episode i really liked but this point was a bit unclear to me or did i miss something?
    "Do you know what's the Chain of Command?? It's the chain i'm gonna beat you
    with until you realize who's in rotten command here." - Jayne Cobb

Dude, I totally called it back when Light aired!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=70495

It didn't really work (Rush's fault?) -- but, at the same time, I totally called it from draining Destiny's reserves, forcing it into a sun to using Destiny as a conduit for the star's power.

I was very pleased with this episode.

Creating worlds I know couldn't possibly exist. One little polygon at a time.

Comment

I'd like to call it when i said that using a star to dial Earth WOULDNT work Same thread IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Reynolds View Post
        They dialled Icarus(Planet) to the Destiny(Moving Ship) but is it possible to do moving ship to planet? How do they figured that out?

What did they used was a point of origin?

What is the supposed 9 Symbols Address?

The rest of the episode i really liked but this point was a bit unclear to me or did i miss something?
        1. They've been dialing planets from the Destiny since Air pt 2

2. 9 symbol adress is Earth

3. I dont know about the point of origin

hope that helps
        Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
        ---
        sigpic

Comment

Im talking only about the symbol sequence not the power needed. Being near the star is irrelevant.

Yes Destiny is been dialling to other planets since the pilot... my bad

the 9th symbol was Earth in Icarus(because they where trying to GO to the Destiny but were on the wrong planet)... I was asking about all the nine symbols sequence. you know? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

And how can the 9th symbol be earth if you are going TO earth?
          Its the combination code you may say but... if the combination code is the same how do you know if is a outgoing wormhole or a incoming?(and dont say because they dial it ) Wouldnt the system crash or something?

If its the same combination code for both why do all that? Just push a button.

Comment

You can't do moving ship to planet, each time the Destiny gate dials, the ship is not in FTL.

Even in the pilot, just before the wormhole established from Icarus, the Destiny fell out of FTL long enough for the wormhole to open, fart out people and close again before it went back

Comment

The Earth address from the Destiny is a 8 symbols one, Rilley found it in the dialing computer (Air part 2.)

Comment

the last symbol can be calculated

Comment

Originally posted by Count View Post
                  You can't do moving ship to planet, each time the Destiny gate dials, the ship is not in FTL.

Even in the pilot, just before the wormhole established from Icarus, the Destiny fell out of FTL long enough for the wormhole to open, fart out people and close again before it went back
                  The ship doesnt stop moving just slows yay down... the wormhole is established while the ship is still moving... Destiny ever stops.

Originally posted by Guiguioh View Post
                  The Earth address from the Destiny is a 8 symbols one, Rilley found it in the dialing computer (Air part 2.)
                  Really? i missed that one. Just leaves the question what did they use for the Point of Origin?

But then again... in every database in SG1 or SGA when a address was displayed it was without the PoP so a 7symbol(same galaxy) address would have 6symbol in the database and a 8symbol adress(other galaxy) would have 7symbols in the database so:
                  8 symbols plus the point of origin makes 9 unless the address contains the point of origin but how can the destiny have a fixed point of origin if it keeps moving?

Sorry if this is confusing but english is not my first language so "lost in translation"
                  Last edited by Nathan Reynolds; 07 November 2009, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan Reynolds View Post
                    The ship doesnt stop moving just slows yay down... the wormhole is established while the ship is still moving... Destiny ever stops.
                    A wormhole is always established from a moving point, planets don't sit still in space.
                    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Count View Post
                      I'd like to call it when i said that using a star to dial Earth WOULDNT work Same thread IIRC
                      Lol. So I got the method, you got the "it won't work" bit -- still exciting though.

Good call, Count! (Or should I call you Rush?)

Creating worlds I know couldn't possibly exist. One little polygon at a time.

Comment

Desteny stopped FTL when they dialed to it from the planet to get stuck on the ship

Go Green

Comment

I do not believe that the plan to dial Earth from the Destiny would have worked because they planned to use the star to power the stargate. Think about it, it has been mentioned in SG-1's Red Sky, a wormhole will NOT form if it will be in the path of a star, there are safety protocols in the stargate that prevent that kind of connection from occuring.

Now I was arguing over this with my brother, and he said that if Col. Carter could override these protocols, and Dr. Rush might be able to do the same thing. But as it was mentioned in the episode, most of the ships commands were locked with a master code that could not be broken. That could also mean that the Stargate's safety protocols could also be locked with this "Master Code".

The point of this thread is to talk about the plan to dial Earth. Personally I don't think it would have worked due to Destiny being IN the star itself while dialing earth.

That's just how I feel about it, what do you think?
                          Then To Tyolous
                          Say to the people of the low plains
                          Seek not the wickedness amongst your neighbors
                          Lest it finds purchase in your own house.

Comment

it wouldn't have worked because the destiny can not handle it.

there is a difference between a wormhole going THROUGH a star and going from the "atmosphere" of a star to a place far, far away

Comment

I'm going to argue side-ways and say that on a technical level there was not enough detail given about the plan to make an assessment, especially for such fictional elements as Stargates.

Given also that TPTB have shown a willingness to 'stretch' canon as needed, under the umbrella that the time frame between Destiny and the MW gate system allowing for changes in Ancient technology enough to allow technical-canon, if you will, to not be quite so limiting in story telling.

IOW, I don't think it's really going to be possible within the story to say "well, in this episode, this happened to that means they can/can't do that"
                              If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
                              Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Working...
                              X