Destiny's weapon grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff-B View Post
    My wild speculation was that they were going to drop out of FTL, and just open fire wildly. What if there had been an alien ship of some kind right there when they opened fire? The alien ship just happens to be sitting there, minding its own business, then suddenly a huge unidentifiable ship shows up out of nowhere and opens fire? Not going to make the Destiny many friends out there.
    The chances are astronomically slim. <- I chose every word there carefully
    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by kirmit View Post
      I remember someone saying a GIF should be made of the ship firing, so here you go.
      Yay! And now somebody will have it as their signature. Woot!

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
        To me, BSG has(sometimes) had what is most likely the real stance the military would adopt in space warfare.
        Agreed. Another thing I used to like about BSG is the really dull, muted sounds - in space you wouldn't hear anything. Sadly they did away with that in later series. Firefly was totally silent, I think?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
          Yay! And now somebody will have it as their signature. Woot!
          wont let me no animated images.

sigpic
          Sig made by squirrely1
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
          *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Agreed. Another thing I used to like about BSG is the really dull, muted sounds - in space you wouldn't hear anything. Sadly they did away with that in later series. Firefly was totally silent, I think?
            Yep, and I loved it. Very creepy at times. Space really should be just a little bit creepy always.

Comment

That is one thing I love about Firefly. They didn't do that with the movie so much though, when particularly in that huge battle between the alliance and the reavers, but would that have been nearly as fun to watch without cool sound effects?

And actually that's one typical sci-fi battle that wasn't hyper-unrealistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                it looked like it was a energy based weapon so no ammo needed
                It was without doubt an energy weapon, after all they were firing the weapons to drain ENERGY! Not ammo.

Comment

I'm sitting here having a bit of a chuckle at all the people claiming all energy weapons HAVE to travel at the speed of light to be realistic. That seems like a general failure of imagination to me.

First case: A particle beam weapon. A beam of electrons, protons, etc will NOT travel at the speed of light. Close too it maybe, but it depends on how much energy is used in the acceleration system. You're not going to deflect these with lasers.

Second Case: Consider a hypothetical plasma burst weapon where a superconducting material is vaporized and then energize to form a self-sustaining ball of super-hot plasma. That "miniature sun" would then need to be accelerated down some sort of barrel and sent on it's way toward the target. No way you're going to get a large ball of gas to move at the speed of light.

Third case: A weapon incorporating sci-fisics. Let's assume we have a weapon's system that is able to grab hold of the fabric of space, crumple it into a little ball, and then stuff that little ball full of subspace energy and send it on toward the target. Who says what speed this is going to move at? Who says it moves at all? Maybe it just appears at the target. Maybe it will sort of poke along and gain speed exponentially as it gathers up energy from passing through space. Only the person that writes the show can determine that.

I just don't see how you can accept the Satrgate itself, Hyperdrive, FTL without Hyperdrive, and yet it's the weapons that you find unbelievable????

Comment

Working...
                  X