Crusade--which order do YOU prefer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crusade--which order do YOU prefer?

I haven't gotten around to watching Crusade yet, but I'm considering watching my way through the B5verse. Except this time, including Legend of the Rangers, Crusade, and Lost Tales

Thing is, there's lots of disagreement over which order Crusade ought to be watched in. And since there's clearly no consensus (I gather even JMS has put two suggested viewing orders out there), I decided that I wouldn't bother looking for a CORRECT order. Production and airing orders aren't always the best to go. But, as B5 has shown us, straight-up chronology isn't always the best way to go either.

I thought instead I'd put it to you, the GW B5 community, which Crusade viewing order do YOU prefer? There are four floating around out there, but heck there's always room for interpretation.

For reference:
    Spoiler:
    Production
    The Needs of Earth
    The Memory of War
    Racing the Night
    Visitors from Down the Street
    Each Night I Dream of Home
    The Well of Forever
    The Long Road
    War Zone
    The Path of Sorrows
    Patterns of the Soul
    Ruling from the Tomb
    The Rules of the Game

Original Airing
    War Zone
    The Long Road
    The Well of Forever
    The Path of Sorrows
    Patterns of the Soul
    Ruling from the Tomb
    The Rules of the Game
    Appearances and Other Deceits
    Racing the Night
    The Memory of War
    The Needs of Earth

JMS Revised Order (for Sci Fi Channel)
    Racing the Night
    The Needs of Earth
    The Memory of War
    The Long Road
    The Well of Forever
    Patterns of the Soul
    The Path of Sorrows
    Ruling from the Tomb
    The Rules of the Game
    War Zone

JMS Revised Order (Chronology)
    War Zone
    The Long Road
    Ruling From the Tomb
    The Memory of War
    The Needs of Earth
    Racing the Night
    Visitors From Down the Street
    The Path of Sorrows
    Patterns of the Soul
    The Well of Forever
    The Rules of the Game
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

JMS revised order (sci-fi channel), because it works very well as far as the plot goes, and I'm not bothered by the changing uniforms between episodes.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      JMS revised order (sci-fi channel), because it works very well as far as the plot goes, and I'm not bothered by the changing uniforms between episodes.
      same, although I generally ignore War Zone because in that order it just makes no sense at all

"Say goodbye to your sanity!"

Spoiler:

Mollari: Isn't it ironic? When I first came to Babylon 5 I had all the choices in the world, and no power at all... now I have all the power I could ever want... and no choice... no choice...

Mollari: It was something my father said. I was just a boy... and I heard him, crying in his room. I asked him what was wrong, and he said "My shoes are too tight... but it does not matter... because I have forgotten how to dance..." ...I never understood that until now... now... my shoes are too tight... and I have forgotten how to dance...
      Vir: I don't understand...
      Mollari: ...nor should you...

Comment

Originally posted by Dimbo_Sama View Post
        same, although I generally ignore War Zone because in that order it just makes no sense at all
        Interesting. So what do you do, skip it entirely or watch it somewhere else in the order?
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm getting toward the end of my B5 rewatch, Crusade is soon approaching....

Anyone else have thoughts on the subject?

Comment

You should watch them in JMS' chronological order. Since it's the first time you're watching it, you should at least watch the show knowing which order events took place. It may not necessarily be the best way to watch it, but it will at least be the less confusing and easier to understand order of episodes.

After you've done this, rewatch at some point in JMS' Scifi order. This way you won't be watching JMS' order first and being left wondering why episode 12 is taking place at the start of season (and also right after "A Call to Arms") but at the same time not done as a flashback episode.

Like you said, chronological order doesn't automatically mean the best way (like The Beginning, it's better off mid B5 as opposed to the very start and spoiling a lot of character development that happened before it was produced) but Crusade doesn't suffer from anything important like that when watching in chronological order.

sigpic

Comment

That's been my reasoning too, cheers. Anyone else want to chime in?

I have another question regarding the chronological order.... Wikipedia lists "Ruling from the Tomb" as #3 in that order, while the B5 Wikia puts it at #11. Which do I trust?

Comment

'Ruling the Tomb' should be episode 3, as it introduces Lockley for the first time within the show. I could explain a bit more, but wouldn't want to go into spoilers about her role (despite being credited for all episodes, she's in like 3 or 4 episodes).

sigpic

Comment

Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed thread into Mumm-Ra, the EVER-LIVING.

I got my Crusade DVDs today and I must admit, it's a right pain in the ass watching these in chronological order. Been watching them in the B5 wikia order which as been updated to include 'Ruling The Tomb' as episode three so it and the Wikipedia order are the same.

So far so good, but after I've watched them chronologically, I plan to do normal DVD and see if I can spot the out mistakes. Must say been great seeing John Vickery as Mr. Welles again, one because it's Vickery and two because it's the same character from the end of season 2 on B5.

sigpic

Comment

Since the episodes are actually stand alones, does it really matter what order they're in?

For me, the order of the episodes don't really matter.

Comment

Except they're not.

Comment

Okay, which episode is directly tied to the premise of the series: to find a cure for the plague?

And I have seen them.

Not all of them are directly tied in to the search for the cure.

Comment

War Zone has to be first, every other episode must follow. The uniform change was part of an ongoing story. They have to meet Lochley for the first time. And so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                            Since the episodes are actually stand alones, does it really matter what order they're in?

For me, the order of the episodes don't really matter.
                            It does matter because the TV/DVD order of episodes is a mix of chronology and uniform continuity rather than following the actual full chronological order. It's not anyone's fault as the series was cancelled before a second uniform change episode could take place so it must have been easier for viewers to be less confused by airing all the black uniform episodes first, even if it does lead to mistakes (like Galen burying his love before we learn of her, the screwed up order of Lockley/Gideons replacement, using the temporary vaccine to the plague before it's even discovered).

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X