This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deus ex machina SOME SPOILERS

is there anything you hope they don't find onboard that would be to convenient? I think the
    Spoiler:
    handy dandy chargey pad is a little much personally
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

the ship already had water on it and it had been sitting there for millions of years <<
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
      I think the
      Spoiler:
      handy dandy chargey pad is a little much personally
      We already have similar technology on Earth so why is it too much for it to be in place on Destiny?

Comment

I'm just waiting for them to find some pre-replicator replicator creating machine that they will inadvertenly turn on.

Other than that I've been very satisfied with the current lack of deus ex machinas and maguffins. Everything so far serves a very small limited purpose.
        sigpic
        Doci of the BAG

Comment

I think they will find Ancient weapons as they will eventually run out of ammo. I wonder if those weapons will be more like the Lantean stun weapon seen in ATL: "Aurora" or the Asuran pistol seen in ATL: "Progeny", "The Return, Part 2", "Lifeline", "This Mortal Coil". Chances are though that any handheld weapons will be unique.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if people know what a Deus Ex Machina is?
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              all i know is that i can't pronounce it
              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

God of Machine, a device originally used in Greek plays where a mechanical 'god' would descend and solve the problems of the characters. I think thats right.
                sigpic
                Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                  God of Machine, a device originally used in Greek plays where a mechanical 'god' would descend and solve the problems of the characters. I think thats right.
                  True but the recharging plate doesn't solve all the crew's problems. There's plenty of other troubleshooting opportunities on the ship...like figuring out how to get access to the primary systems.
                  sigpic

Comment

people these days use it as a complaint

Comment

Deus Ex Machina = The reason why EATG was bad.

But in SGU, insofar, there haven't been bad ones. The recharging plate is reasonable.
                      If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                      Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                      If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                      Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                        people these days use it as a complaint
                        That is because it is. A real Deus Ex Machina (think wormhole drive) is a easy way to solve a problem and covers up for a weak story. The thing is many fans (congrats GateroomGuard) overuse the defintion like they overuse plot hole
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

A device that makes a single problem less difficult and requires the characters to keep working does not equal deus ex machina in my mind.

Unless Eli somehow makes the recharger capable of solving every single new problem that arises I'm not calling it a deus ex machina.
                          sigpic
                          Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by escyos
                            boo hoo. stuff happened. get over it
                            damn dude...chill...people are allowed to have an opinion
                            "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

robotic maintenance that's been disabled for some reason, would explain the decay in the destiny right now, of course i could be wrong

from farscape, even moya had maintenance the little yellow robot things, i forget what they're called

Comment

Working...
                              X