Thor's Hammer (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucid_dream
    OK - I'm a new fan (great timing huh?) But I just recently added SG1 to my life after BSG. Please tell me it gets better than this? Don't get all ruffled here - but I am hoping that future efforts at least try to have the characters act like they would in "real" life! Destroy the Hammer? Lets not even TALK about other ways around it or out? They could have put some kind of time limit on the whole thing where they HAD to make a descion quickly - but from what I can see they just blew it up without even thinking about it. There is no way this would have ever happened. I am starting to enjoy the show - just hopping that it DOES get more thought out as time goes on?

Any other new viewers out there (or old ones who remember feeling this way in the beginning) feel the same way?
    I'm new but I've seen many episodes scattered along the way. I do think it gets more thought out plot-wise. What I find interesting is that I'm 8 or 9 episodes in (I haven't gotten my netflix in yet) and I still don't think I know anything more about the characters than I did when I watched the first episode. Ok...I learned something about Jack and his backstory but I think that was addressed in the movie. Other than that, nothing so far.

I figure that most shows start out a little bumpy, plot-wise, anyway but if the characters are intriguing enough, I'll forgive it. And don't ever expect it to get to BSG writing prorportions because it doesn't. It's not that heavily dramatic life-death-survival of the human race kind of show. That's ok because BSG lacks just about any humor, whereas SG1 is more of a romp by comparison.

But if you're comparing the two--no, SG1 is never going to do plot things the way BSG does. Frankly, Sg1 is more fun but BSG is definitely a better written show.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I am enjoying the show - I am simply hoping for (and it looks like it has it to some degree at least) some on-going plot development. So far most episodes feel a lot like the old star trek (start - enemy planet - danger - resolve the problem) and less like STNG or BSG with a growing and evolving world. I am already pretty tired of every planet looking like a "ancient Greek playground" or "mongols run amuk" I really liked "cold Lazarus" - one of the better episodes so far I thought.

Anyway - back to the DVD's!

---Lucid (more or less)

Comment

Originally posted by lucid_dream
        Thanks for the input. I am enjoying the show - I am simply hoping for (and it looks like it has it to some degree at least) some on-going plot development. So far most episodes feel a lot like the old star trek (start - enemy planet - danger - resolve the problem) and less like STNG or BSG with a growing and evolving world. I am already pretty tired of every planet looking like a "ancient Greek playground" or "mongols run amuk" I really liked "cold Lazarus" - one of the better episodes so far I thought.

Anyway - back to the DVD's!

---Lucid (more or less)
        I agree with your assessment but my impression is that more comes along. I haven't gotten much further yet, though. We'll have to check back.

Comment

I really like this one. Dan's sacrifice was huge in this one but seemed to be played down. Odd that jack made him be the one to fire the shot. Also I found the in joke funny. They have Darth vader doing a voice in this so they take the line "arn't you a little short to be a storm trooper" from star wars and turn it into "arn't you a little short to be gods?" Great line indeed. lol

Comment

i agree that daniel gave up alot in this episode and i was surprised by how much they played it down.

overall i think that this episode is quite good not the best in the season but still a great episode to watch
            sigpic

Comment

True... if i had that 'trap' set up they would have still falen, but into say a repulsor field that held them a few feet below that ledge.

Comment

I have a problem with this episode and it's nothing to do with the way they get Teal'c past Thor's Hammer. Just before they go to Cimmeria, SG-1 is given a box designed by the Sagan Institute. Daniel takes the box, walks up the ramp towards the Stargate and gets really close to it. This is where I have a problem. They haven't dialled out yet and the wormhole whooshes a long way down the gate room when it forms. If Daniel stays where he is, he's going to be killed. Daniel knows what happens when the wormhole forms, so why does he walk so far up the ramp? Maybe Michael Shanks was told that they'd already dialled out - that's the only reason I can think of.

That's a minor niggle. On the whole it's a good episode. It's not one of my favourites, but it does hint at the existence of the Asgard.
                C-D
                Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Love the part where they first come through the gate and the locals start laughing at them! Like it's a regular occurance, travellers wanting to rid themselves of gouald/jaffa accomplices.

I liked this ep. It raises plenty of questions, many of which are answered in "Thor's Chariot".

Go the projectile weapons! Gee they would've had a tough time when they first met the unas if they were unarmed!

Comment

Originally posted by First View Post
                    Love the part where they first come through the gate and the locals start laughing at them! Like it's a regular occurance, travellers wanting to rid themselves of gouald/jaffa accomplices.

I liked this ep. It raises plenty of questions, many of which are answered in "Thor's Chariot".

Go the projectile weapons! Gee they would've had a tough time when they first met the unas if they were unarmed!
                    Maybe the locals were laughing because the know what is coming to Goauld. Heh. I mean if you knew what the hammer device could do, you wouldn't be going there in the first place.

I actually love Thor's Hammer and Thor's Chariot. I love it when eps link to each other.

Also, the argument between Carter and Daniel regarding faith in Kendra was interesting. It showed their differences in viewing things, with Carter, a believer in rules and logic while Daniel being more intuitive. Also, it is interesting to see Carter have conflicts with fellow members, not the romantic kind . She generally seems to be an inoffensive, stick to the rules yes-person (in the latter seasons more so) IMHO, so seeing her having open arguments with someone is interesting. Of course, with Daniel being non-military, it is less risky to argue with him than with a superior officer in the military.
                    Where it all began.

sigpic

"It’s not DOOR to HEAVEN. The proper translation is…STARGATE." Daniel Jackson

"What the hell is that?" Daniel Jackson

"Your “Star Gate.” " Catherine Langford

Stargate (Movie)

Comment

To add, I think it was in this episode where Daniel first brought up his theory that the Goual'd were not the gate builders.

Two important aspects of stargate history would be born here, Daniel's theory about the "gate builders" and the Asgard Race being aliens. I guess, he became more comfortable about suggesting the possibility that ancient cultures (aside from egyptian) were actually alien in reality

Spoiler:
                      I guess that's why the Asgard were not present in both the AU in "There But For The Grace of God" and "Point of View". The wouldn't have met the Asgard in the first place if the events in this episode never happen. If Daniel hadn't brought up the whole Asgard as alien's theory, the theory of advanced races other than the Goaul'd and Teal's contribution of the Cimmerian gate address then there would be no Asgard. Of course, in these AU's they never even met Teal'c.
                      Where it all began.

sigpic

"It’s not DOOR to HEAVEN. The proper translation is…STARGATE." Daniel Jackson

"What the hell is that?" Daniel Jackson

"Your “Star Gate.” " Catherine Langford

Stargate (Movie)

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                        this was a good epsiode nice little hint into the asguard
                        This episode and "Thor's Chariot" really show how great stargate is at building on storylines... laying the foundation then later introducing something fantastic... in this case advanced allies against the go'uld...

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
                          This episode and "Thor's Chariot" really show how great stargate is at building on storylines... laying the foundation then later introducing something fantastic... in this case advanced allies against the go'uld...
                          Could not have said it better myself . Amazing intro for the Asgard and their tech

Comment

A fun episode - my favorite so far from the first season. I liked the music score for this episode, too. I wonder if the name of the planet, Cimmeria, was a nod to Robert Howard's Conan the Barbarian stories? Also curious about the concrete sluice that Carter and Daniel walk over while being led to the labyrinth by Kendra. Perhaps it was built for a past mining operation in British Columbia?

Question so in the end...when Teal'c goes trugh the hammer Jack tackles him back in. So, couldn't he just pull him out? Or tackle him out from inside?
                            Good question - my thinking is that O'Neil wanted enough momentum to quickly remove Teal'c from the force field that was pinning him, so tackling him was the best way to get him out.

Another question is why Goauld visitors are transported into the labyrinth in the first place? Why didn't the Asgard position Thor's Hammer at the entrance to the stargate, where it could cook the Goauld as soon as they emerge from the stargate? Maybe the Asgard wanted former System Lords to stew for a while in the labyrinth before walking through the hammer.

Also - could the Goauld could have simply blown up the teleporter device by sending missiles or lasers through the stargate? Granted, this may have upset the treaty with the Asgard, so probably not worth the risk to the Goauld.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertF View Post
                              I wonder if the name of the planet, Cimmeria, was a nod to Robert Howard's Conan the Barbarian stories?
                              'Cimmeria' is an area of Europe mentioned by Herodotus in his 'Histories'. It roughly equates with the Crimea. The Stargate writers are very good at picking up things from history and mythology and working them into the stories. I'm not familiar with the Conan stories, but maybe Robert Howard picked up on the same reference.

Another question is why Goauld visitors are transported into the labyrinth in the first place? Why didn't the Asgard position Thor's Hammer at the entrance to the stargate, where it could cook the Goauld as soon as they emerge from the stargate? Maybe the Asgard wanted former System Lords to stew for a while in the labyrinth before walking through the hammer.
                              The device that stands near the Stargate and sends Goa'uld to the labyrinth probably needs incoming travellers to get through the 'gate before it can scan them. I'm guessing the labyrinth is some distance from the 'gate, at an unknown location, to prevent attempts at rescue. What bothers me is how far the device is from the 'gate. We have no idea if it scans 360 degrees round itself, or how far out it scans. It also takes a few minutes to start scanning, but possibly that's triggered by the 'gate shutting down and everybody getting clear of the 'gate.

Also - could the Goauld could have simply blown up the teleporter device by sending missiles or lasers through the stargate? Granted, this may have upset the treaty with the Asgard, so probably not worth the risk to the Goauld.
                              The Goa'uld could only send something through the 'gate to destroy the device if they knew it was there. Teal'c has said that the System Lords would send a reconnaisance party to a planet. If the party didn't return, they wouldn't waste further resources. The only way the Goa'uld could have known about the device would be for a recon party to return - which they couldn't until SG1 destroyed Thor's Hammer. Once that happened, it allowed the Goa'uld to go through and report back, hence the events in Thor's Chariot.
                              Last edited by Cheerful Dragon; 03 March 2008, 02:22 PM.
                              C-D
                              Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Originally posted by RobertF View Post

Perhaps they wanted the Gou'ald and Jaffa to feel the pain of isolation before giving them relief from their condition, that way they could go over their mindset and truely understand what they had done..

Comment

Working...
                                X