I wholeheartedly agree with that.
    Glad we agree on something.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
      Glad we agree on something.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Here's an idea worth considering. If the Asgard and goa'uld had a treaty they obviously had to have had some interaction with each other, yeah? So why did Thor need to appear in a hologram as a human instead of his true form? Seems rather pointless to me.....

Comment

If thor's negotiations with the gou'ald were done on ship, he wouldn't need to appear as a holo to anyone on the ground..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            If thor's negotiations with the gou'ald were done on ship, he wouldn't need to appear as a holo to anyone on the ground..
            That's not exactly true since we know in Fair Game that the negotiations for the planets included in the treaty take place ON the planets in question.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhousden View Post
              Here's an idea worth considering. If the Asgard and goa'uld had a treaty they obviously had to have had some interaction with each other, yeah? So why did Thor need to appear in a hologram as a human instead of his true form? Seems rather pointless to me.....
              I think he was worried that there is a chance that the planet natives may see him - if they end up in that cave by accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Quantumentanglement View Post
                I think he was worried that there is a chance that the planet natives may see him - if they end up in that cave by accident.
                That wouldn't be possible since they weren't goa'uld, and with the exception of Kendra they were all transplanted to that planet millennia ago to save them from the goa'uld. Since the goa'uld were warned to stay away from Cimmeria there would be no reason for any of them to go there. It's kind of a rare thing that a host could influence the symbiote, and even if it was possible who's to say they could be convinced to go to a world off limits to them. Therefore it was merely a fluke that Kendra ended up there, much less that her body survived the device that killed the symbiote. Even so, the goa'uld were aware of the Asgard, so they'd have no reason to hide behind an avatar of themselves.

Comment

Since the goa'uld were warned to stay away from Cimmeria there would be no reason for any of them to go there.
                  And yet they keep doing so. Heru-Ur found out that the planet was no longer protected by Thor's Hammer within a year of it being destroyed and although the Unas was estimated as "perhaps" being a thousand years old he survived through a combination of going into hibernation periodically and feeding on other Goa'uld who ended up stuck there with him. Teal'c's perception was that visiting that planet was forbidden, but clearly either through hubris, punishment, and/or occasional testing (e.g. sending a Jaffa through, which is what the Goa'uld do in lieu of a MALP according to Teal'c) some Goa'uld do end up there.

If your argument is that the hologram only activates as a greeting to a Goa'uld who has been transported to the caves, so the natives shouldn't have an occasion to see it before they're advanced enough to see the Asgard's true from since Goa'uld no longer go there, clearly that's not the case. It would take the Cimmerians hundreds, possibly thousands of years to pass that test. With such an expected length of time and no way to know for sure that a Goa'uld wouldn't be transported to the caves once the Cimmerians discovered them, why take the risk?

By the way, it's also not clear that the hologram only activates for a Goa'uld as Kendra said he repeats the same thing on a loop...

KENDRA
                  He seems to be. But he speaks the same message again and again. My beast believed he was not real.
                  So it's not just an arrival message, but likely goes on whenever someone returns to that part of the cave, presumably with the intent to wear the subject down by repeating that their situation is hopeless so they should give in. If it's not linked to the device, it might have been easier to simply set it up to be activated by a rudimentary sensor. Why go through the trouble of using technology to ensure that it only activated for the Goa'uld when you can just have the hologram look like a human in case a Cimmerian set it off (or was around when a Goa'uld was)? The Goa'uld understand that the Asgard adopt a human god guise for the benefit of less advanced humans (hell, the Goa'uld do it themselves) so it's like there's any reason why the Asgard should set up a hologram depicting their real forms for the benefit of the Goa'uld. Plus, it's less intimidating in the case of any Jaffa who, like Teal'c, had no idea what the Asgard actually looked like and might end up trapped there too.
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 13 September 2017, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Thor's Hammer has been one of my favorite episodes of season 1 and still is, but I just now realize how cruel it is. They destroy the one thing that could save Sha're and Ska'ra, and not only that, Jack hands Teal'c's staffweapon to Daniel so he has to destroy all hope himself. I don't understand why he didn't refuse. He just steps back and does as he is told. I would have expected him to be more vocal about it, even refuse all out but instead he doesn't.

Okay, so Teal'c is his friend but Sha're is his wife.

Once again the costume and prop department did a wonderful job on all the details. I really love the look of this episode.

Also, a bit weird, but I couldn't help but see Darth Vader instead of the Unas. Damnit James Earl Jones...

How would you rate SG-1's "Thor's Hammer?"

Excellent
                    Good
                    Fair
                    Poor
                    Terrible

Comment

Your question I think would be contradictory to Daniel. Yes it could save Sha'rae but morally I don't think Daniel couldn't kill an enemy let alone a friend to save his wife. It's just not him.

As a rule, I love Asgard episodes. To me the selling point is the seeds this episode plants. It plants the ideas about the Asgard, how the Goa'uld host function,and the tramua it presents. The episode has one of Jack's best one liners. On the negative, Kendra really annoys me. I'm calling this good
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Your question I think would be contradictory to Daniel. Yes it could save Sha'rae but morally I don't think Daniel couldn't kill an enemy let alone a friend to save his wife. It's just not him.
                        He did spray the larvae goa'uld in Bloodlines with a volley of automatic weapon bullets.
                        Preventing them from being implanted one day.

Comment

That is a little different
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Everyone has their limits. He wouldn't want to kill or harm the host, but I never really saw him be hesitant about Goa'uld until the Tok'ra came around...and even then...

One thing that I liked about this episode is a very different take on the "Your gods can be scientifically explained as a deception and you MUST know the truth at all costs so we shall tell you" take of Sci-Fi. I'm disappointed they didn't really dive deeper into this and left it as just a preference that the Asgard had. They kinda did in Red Sky, but in my opinion that was a very light very shallow exploration of that concept.

And of course, who doesn't like the little grey men?
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                              And of course, who doesn't like the little grey men?
                              Pink... they are more pinkish men... and for once that sounds better than it does in my head.

Comment

Quiz this way, and get your jiggy on with the puzzle for Thor's Hammer right here.

Comment

Working...
                                X