No announcement yet.

Thor's Hammer (109)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Cimmeria' is an area of Europe mentioned by Herodotus in his 'Histories'. It roughly equates with the Crimea. The Stargate writers are very good at picking up things from history and mythology and working them into the stories. I'm not familiar with the Conan stories, but maybe Robert Howard picked up on the same reference.
    I knew there was a historical Cimmeria somewhere in Eastern Europe - thanks for the reference. Conan hailed from a mountainous land to the north named Cimmeria (close to present day Scandinavia), so Cimmeria seemed an appropriate name in this episode.

Comment

The thing this does show but not meaning to is it showed the Asgurd weakness. Such as the plant being attack but the Asgurd not doing anything. One more thing I would have like to see them go back to the plant to see how far they have growed. I mean the Asgrud were showing the people how to fixs it and I am petty sure they would have not been able to stop there because of the ageement between the Asgurd and systems lords.
      General Trimpe (The Monkey King)

Comment

I also wish we could have gone back there to see how things were progressing since the Asgard revealed themselves properly... Heck, i would like to know how they would receive the news that thor has died..

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeyking66 View Post
          The thing this does show but not meaning to is it showed the Asgurd weakness. Such as the plant being attack but the Asgurd not doing anything. One more thing I would have like to see them go back to the plant to see how far they have growed. I mean the Asgrud were showing the people how to fixs it and I am petty sure they would have not been able to stop there because of the ageement between the Asgurd and systems lords.
          There could be good reason for the Asgard not doing anything when the planet was attacked. The planet had been set up so that its people could develop naturally without outside interference, and that includes the presence of the Asgard. Thor's Hammer was there to make sure the Goa'uld didn't come along and abduct people for use as slaves or hosts. The Asgard didn't foresee somebody coming along and destroying their weapon, so they didn't bother to check that Cimmerians were OK. They came quickly enough once they were informed there was a problem. They would have left soon after, not just because of the agreement, but because their presence would have affected the Cimmerian's development.

I'm not sure how many people on Cimmeria would have seen the Asgard in their true form after SG-1 asked them for help. We know Gairwyn did, but she could have been asked to keep it a secret for the good of her people. They probably wouldn't be told about Thor's death. They don't need to know, so why tell them?
          C-D
          Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

The stargate marketing department should make lunchboxes with the Sagan design. They could include a ZPM shaped thermos.

My rating: 8/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...rs-hammer.html
            My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
            http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

(I have one very large question)

Since the Hammer was destroyed why didn't we send science teams back to study the transportation technology. The SGC's mandate is to seek technology and gain information from different cultures. It seems like the SGC should have either had teams doing check-ups on Cimmeria and the Cimmerians or create a temporary research station in order to study the hammer and look for other signs of the Asgard.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake View Post
                (I have one very large question)

Since the Hammer was destroyed why didn't we send science teams back to study the transportation technology.
                In my imagination, this is being done. Except, it was too boring/technical to show.

It is pretty convinient that the vikins know english. lol! i get the reason for this of course.

Once again, Jack proved how loyal he is to his team and what a great leader he is.

I thought that the hammer only kills the goauld and not the host? So, Tealc would have been saved, right? So there really is no reason to destroy the hammer?

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post
                  In my imagination, this is being done. Except, it was too boring/technical to show.

It is pretty convinient that the vikins know english. lol! i get the reason for this of course.

Once again, Jack proved how loyal he is to his team and what a great leader he is.

I thought that the hammer only kills the goauld and not the host? So, Tealc would have been saved, right? So there really is no reason to destroy the hammer?
                  In a later episode SG-1 returns to Cimmeria (I won't say why) and it was the first time anyone from the SGC had been back to that planet.

Without an infant Goa'uld inside Teal'c he would die, a Goa'uld's host could survive but not a Jaffa. (Just in case you don't know, a Jaffa carries an infant Goa'uld in a pouch which provides him with a perfect immune system.)
                  sigpic

Comment

I think they were just starting story arcs at this point, mostly sticking to the stand-alone episodes up until now. So it makes sense that the plot doesn't take them back there for some time.

I wonder how many story arc plot lines were bandied about and eventually abandoned versus those that were actually followed up on in some manner or another. Some 'people' are visited and never seen or heard from again.

Comment

Probably one of my favourite episodes of season 1 so far. Just a really cool episode filled with mythology, technology, new information about the Goa'uld and hope of an ally to fight the Goa'uld - someone seeming to be more powerful then them.

Learning about the Unas and that they were the first hosts of the Goa'uld was a very interesting part of the episode, probably one of my favourites because he was strong - I'm surprised we don't see more Goa'ulds as Unas (later on in the series).

You really had to feel for Daniel he was very up in the episode about hope for saying his wife and then he had to destroy the very device that could help bring her back to him.

I like how Jack referred to Teal'c as "family".

Overall an awesome episode.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

Originally posted by pritnep View Post
                        Learning about the Unas and that they were the first hosts of the Goa'uld was a very interesting part of the episode, probably one of my favourites because he was strong - I'm surprised we don't see more Goa'ulds as Unas (later on in the series).
                        We see one more in later seasons (can't remember which episodes). I think the Goa'uld moved to humans because they are more agile, more dextrous and generally more intelligent. It's like the difference between apes and humans or neandethals and homo sapiens. (Please don't anybody get started on whether or not neanderthals were intelligent. It's just an example that I'm using because they died out.)
                        C-D
                        Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

Oh a bit of confusion there, I know we see the Unas again but as far as I'm aware not an Unas Goa'uld. Sorry about that.

But like you said us humans are better and lets face it better looking especially since they want people to think they are a God and not a demon/monster. I just thought Unas Goa'uld idea was cool, aspecially with the added strength allowing the Goa'ulds to actually withstand in a fight without the use of technology.

Comment

Originally posted by pritnep View Post
                            Oh a bit of confusion there, I know we see the Unas again but as far as I'm aware not an Unas Goa'uld. Sorry about that.
                            In the Season 3 episode "Demons" we see an Unas Goa'uld.
                            sigpic
                            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Oh cool, I couldn't remember I know we see them again just didn't know about Unus Goa'uld. Thanks for that Ulkesh47.

Sorry once again Cheerful Dragon, you were right I stand corrected.

Comment

Lol when "Thor" said there is nothing down here but basic sustenance, I didnt see any sustenance anywhere lol xD

Comment

Working...
                                X