Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Major General

Default Re: Thor's Hammer (109)

True... if i had that 'trap' set up they would have still falen, but into say a repulsor field that held them a few feet below that ledge.

Second Lieutenant Cheerful Dragon's Avatar

I have a problem with this episode and it's nothing to do with the way they get Teal'c past Thor's Hammer. Just before they go to Cimmeria, SG-1 is given a box designed by the Sagan Institute. Daniel takes the box, walks up the ramp towards the Stargate and gets really close to it. This is where I have a problem. They haven't dialled out yet and the wormhole whooshes a long way down the gate room when it forms. If Daniel stays where he is, he's going to be killed. Daniel knows what happens when the wormhole forms, so why does he walk so far up the ramp? Maybe Michael Shanks was told that they'd already dialled out - that's the only reason I can think of.

That's a minor niggle. On the whole it's a good episode. It's not one of my favourites, but it does hint at the existence of the Asgard.
    C-D
    Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...dragonbaal.jpg
    Sig by *E*K*R*

Love the part where they first come through the gate and the locals start laughing at them! Like it's a regular occurance, travellers wanting to rid themselves of gouald/jaffa accomplices.

I liked this ep. It raises plenty of questions, many of which are answered in "Thor's Chariot".

Go the projectile weapons! Gee they would've had a tough time when they first met the unas if they were unarmed!

Chief Master Sergeant Vhladynineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by First View Post
    Love the part where they first come through the gate and the locals start laughing at them! Like it's a regular occurance, travellers wanting to rid themselves of gouald/jaffa accomplices.

I liked this ep. It raises plenty of questions, many of which are answered in "Thor's Chariot".

Go the projectile weapons! Gee they would've had a tough time when they first met the unas if they were unarmed!
    Maybe the locals were laughing because the know what is coming to Goauld. Heh. I mean if you knew what the hammer device could do, you wouldn't be going there in the first place.

I actually love Thor's Hammer and Thor's Chariot. I love it when eps link to each other.

Also, the argument between Carter and Daniel regarding faith in Kendra was interesting. It showed their differences in viewing things, with Carter, a believer in rules and logic while Daniel being more intuitive. Also, it is interesting to see Carter have conflicts with fellow members, not the romantic kind . She generally seems to be an inoffensive, stick to the rules yes-person (in the latter seasons more so) IMHO, so seeing her having open arguments with someone is interesting. Of course, with Daniel being non-military, it is less risky to argue with him than with a superior officer in the military.
    Where it all began.

"It’s not DOOR to HEAVEN. The proper translation is…STARGATE." Daniel Jackson

"What the hell is that?" Daniel Jackson

"Your “Star Gate.” " Catherine Langford

Stargate (Movie)

Chief Master Sergeant Vhladynineer's Avatar

To add, I think it was in this episode where Daniel first brought up his theory that the Goual'd were not the gate builders.

Two important aspects of stargate history would be born here, Daniel's theory about the "gate builders" and the Asgard Race being aliens. I guess, he became more comfortable about suggesting the possibility that ancient cultures (aside from egyptian) were actually alien in reality

Spoiler:
    I guess that's why the Asgard were not present in both the AU in "There But For The Grace of God" and "Point of View". The wouldn't have met the Asgard in the first place if the events in this episode never happen. If Daniel hadn't brought up the whole Asgard as alien's theory, the theory of advanced races other than the Goaul'd and Teal's contribution of the Cimmerian gate address then there would be no Asgard. Of course, in these AU's they never even met Teal'c.
    Where it all began.

"It’s not DOOR to HEAVEN. The proper translation is…STARGATE." Daniel Jackson

"What the hell is that?" Daniel Jackson

"Your “Star Gate.” " Catherine Langford

Stargate (Movie)

Fenrir Foxz

Thor Re: Thor's Hammer (109)

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    this was a good epsiode nice little hint into the asguard
    This episode and "Thor's Chariot" really show how great stargate is at building on storylines... laying the foundation then later introducing something fantastic... in this case advanced allies against the go'uld...

Brigadier General

Quote Originally Posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
    This episode and "Thor's Chariot" really show how great stargate is at building on storylines... laying the foundation then later introducing something fantastic... in this case advanced allies against the go'uld...
    Could not have said it better myself . Amazing intro for the Asgard and their tech

Staff Sergeant

A fun episode - my favorite so far from the first season. I liked the music score for this episode, too. I wonder if the name of the planet, Cimmeria, was a nod to Robert Howard's Conan the Barbarian stories? Also curious about the concrete sluice that Carter and Daniel walk over while being led to the labyrinth by Kendra. Perhaps it was built for a past mining operation in British Columbia?

Question so in the end...when Teal'c goes trugh the hammer Jack tackles him back in. So, couldn't he just pull him out? Or tackle him out from inside?
    Good question - my thinking is that O'Neil wanted enough momentum to quickly remove Teal'c from the force field that was pinning him, so tackling him was the best way to get him out.

Another question is why Goauld visitors are transported into the labyrinth in the first place? Why didn't the Asgard position Thor's Hammer at the entrance to the stargate, where it could cook the Goauld as soon as they emerge from the stargate? Maybe the Asgard wanted former System Lords to stew for a while in the labyrinth before walking through the hammer.

Also - could the Goauld could have simply blown up the teleporter device by sending missiles or lasers through the stargate? Granted, this may have upset the treaty with the Asgard, so probably not worth the risk to the Goauld.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertF View Post
    I wonder if the name of the planet, Cimmeria, was a nod to Robert Howard's Conan the Barbarian stories?
    'Cimmeria' is an area of Europe mentioned by Herodotus in his 'Histories'. It roughly equates with the Crimea. The Stargate writers are very good at picking up things from history and mythology and working them into the stories. I'm not familiar with the Conan stories, but maybe Robert Howard picked up on the same reference.

Another question is why Goauld visitors are transported into the labyrinth in the first place? Why didn't the Asgard position Thor's Hammer at the entrance to the stargate, where it could cook the Goauld as soon as they emerge from the stargate? Maybe the Asgard wanted former System Lords to stew for a while in the labyrinth before walking through the hammer.
    The device that stands near the Stargate and sends Goa'uld to the labyrinth probably needs incoming travellers to get through the 'gate before it can scan them. I'm guessing the labyrinth is some distance from the 'gate, at an unknown location, to prevent attempts at rescue. What bothers me is how far the device is from the 'gate. We have no idea if it scans 360 degrees round itself, or how far out it scans. It also takes a few minutes to start scanning, but possibly that's triggered by the 'gate shutting down and everybody getting clear of the 'gate.

Also - could the Goauld could have simply blown up the teleporter device by sending missiles or lasers through the stargate? Granted, this may have upset the treaty with the Asgard, so probably not worth the risk to the Goauld.
    The Goa'uld could only send something through the 'gate to destroy the device if they knew it was there. Teal'c has said that the System Lords would send a reconnaisance party to a planet. If the party didn't return, they wouldn't waste further resources. The only way the Goa'uld could have known about the device would be for a recon party to return - which they couldn't until SG1 destroyed Thor's Hammer. Once that happened, it allowed the Goa'uld to go through and report back, hence the events in Thor's Chariot.
    Last edited by Cheerful Dragon; March 3rd, 2008 at 02:22 PM.
    C-D

Sig by *E*K*R*

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by RobertF View Post

Perhaps they wanted the Gou'ald and Jaffa to feel the pain of isolation before giving them relief from their condition, that way they could go over their mindset and truely understand what they had done..

Staff Sergeant

'Cimmeria' is an area of Europe mentioned by Herodotus in his 'Histories'. It roughly equates with the Crimea. The Stargate writers are very good at picking up things from history and mythology and working them into the stories. I'm not familiar with the Conan stories, but maybe Robert Howard picked up on the same reference.
    I knew there was a historical Cimmeria somewhere in Eastern Europe - thanks for the reference. Conan hailed from a mountainous land to the north named Cimmeria (close to present day Scandinavia), so Cimmeria seemed an appropriate name in this episode.

McKay Re: Thor's Hammer (109)

The thing this does show but not meaning to is it showed the Asgurd weakness. Such as the plant being attack but the Asgurd not doing anything. One more thing I would have like to see them go back to the plant to see how far they have growed. I mean the Asgrud were showing the people how to fixs it and I am petty sure they would have not been able to stop there because of the ageement between the Asgurd and systems lords.
    General Trimpe (The Monkey King)

Major General

I also wish we could have gone back there to see how things were progressing since the Asgard revealed themselves properly... Heck, i would like to know how they would receive the news that thor has died..

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyking66 View Post
    The thing this does show but not meaning to is it showed the Asgurd weakness. Such as the plant being attack but the Asgurd not doing anything. One more thing I would have like to see them go back to the plant to see how far they have growed. I mean the Asgrud were showing the people how to fixs it and I am petty sure they would have not been able to stop there because of the ageement between the Asgurd and systems lords.
    There could be good reason for the Asgard not doing anything when the planet was attacked. The planet had been set up so that its people could develop naturally without outside interference, and that includes the presence of the Asgard. Thor's Hammer was there to make sure the Goa'uld didn't come along and abduct people for use as slaves or hosts. The Asgard didn't foresee somebody coming along and destroying their weapon, so they didn't bother to check that Cimmerians were OK. They came quickly enough once they were informed there was a problem. They would have left soon after, not just because of the agreement, but because their presence would have affected the Cimmerian's development.

I'm not sure how many people on Cimmeria would have seen the Asgard in their true form after SG-1 asked them for help. We know Gairwyn did, but she could have been asked to keep it a secret for the good of her people. They probably wouldn't be told about Thor's death. They don't need to know, so why tell them?
    C-D

Sig by *E*K*R*

Chief Master Sergeant HelloVelo's Avatar

The stargate marketing department should make lunchboxes with the Sagan design. They could include a ZPM shaped thermos.

My rating: 8/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...rs-hammer.html
    My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
    http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow2 Re: Thor's Hammer (109)

(I have one very large question)

Since the Hammer was destroyed why didn't we send science teams back to study the transportation technology. The SGC's mandate is to seek technology and gain information from different cultures. It seems like the SGC should have either had teams doing check-ups on Cimmeria and the Cimmerians or create a temporary research station in order to study the hammer and look for other signs of the Asgard.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by captain jake View Post
    (I have one very large question)

Since the Hammer was destroyed why didn't we send science teams back to study the transportation technology.
    In my imagination, this is being done. Except, it was too boring/technical to show.

It is pretty convinient that the vikins know english. lol! i get the reason for this of course.

Once again, Jack proved how loyal he is to his team and what a great leader he is.

I thought that the hammer only kills the goauld and not the host? So, Tealc would have been saved, right? So there really is no reason to destroy the hammer?

Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar

Arrow2 Re: Thor's Hammer (109)

Quote Originally Posted by L E E View Post
    In my imagination, this is being done. Except, it was too boring/technical to show.

It is pretty convinient that the vikins know english. lol! i get the reason for this of course.

Once again, Jack proved how loyal he is to his team and what a great leader he is.

I thought that the hammer only kills the goauld and not the host? So, Tealc would have been saved, right? So there really is no reason to destroy the hammer?
    In a later episode SG-1 returns to Cimmeria (I won't say why) and it was the first time anyone from the SGC had been back to that planet.

Without an infant Goa'uld inside Teal'c he would die, a Goa'uld's host could survive but not a Jaffa. (Just in case you don't know, a Jaffa carries an infant Goa'uld in a pouch which provides him with a perfect immune system.)

I think they were just starting story arcs at this point, mostly sticking to the stand-alone episodes up until now. So it makes sense that the plot doesn't take them back there for some time.

I wonder how many story arc plot lines were bandied about and eventually abandoned versus those that were actually followed up on in some manner or another. Some 'people' are visited and never seen or heard from again.

Chief Master Sergeant

Probably one of my favourite episodes of season 1 so far. Just a really cool episode filled with mythology, technology, new information about the Goa'uld and hope of an ally to fight the Goa'uld - someone seeming to be more powerful then them.

Learning about the Unas and that they were the first hosts of the Goa'uld was a very interesting part of the episode, probably one of my favourites because he was strong - I'm surprised we don't see more Goa'ulds as Unas (later on in the series).

You really had to feel for Daniel he was very up in the episode about hope for saying his wife and then he had to destroy the very device that could help bring her back to him.

I like how Jack referred to Teal'c as "family".

Overall an awesome episode.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast