Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bottom line: How long can they continue like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom line: How long can they continue like this?

They just wait till the ship slows down at each Solar Sytem and Galaxy.. and try to get supplies.. and the lunatics create problems for the good people on the ship.. how long can this go on without weekly story burnout?
    My Story:
    http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

I don't know. How many threads like this can come about without sounding redundant?
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I don't know the exact number, but I know it's already happened. Threads like this being redundant, that is.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
        I don't know. How many threads like this can come about without sounding redundant?
        Originally posted by Avenger View Post
        I don't know the exact number, but I know it's already happened. Threads like this being redundant, that is.
        Copy that--big time. I think the big question should be, how long can this stuff go on before viewers learn to simply not watch shows they dislike?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by retiredat44 View Post
          They just wait till the ship slows down at each Solar Sytem and Galaxy.. and try to get supplies.. and the lunatics create problems for the good people on the ship.. how long can this go on without weekly story burnout?
          Until they're not low on supplies.

Or until
          Spoiler:
          next week when Eli, Chloe and Young swap bodies with the scientists from Earth who think they know how to get everyone home.

Comment

I will play nice and say it is a potential problem. There are, I think, some obvious alternate directions such as exploration of the ship, gaining control over life support and supply systems which will break the cycle, perhaps even being able to control Destiny's navigational control and lastly the huge potential for external influences. But there appears to be a long way to go before the crew get past the continual crises before eventually getting a bit more control over their own situation.

Comment

Originally posted by DoThKi View Post
              I will play nice and say it is a potential problem. There are, I think, some obvious alternate directions such as exploration of the ship, gaining control over life support and supply systems which will break the cycle, perhaps even being able to control Destiny's navigational control and lastly the huge potential for external influences. But there appears to be a long way to go before the crew get past the continual crises before eventually getting a bit more control over their own situation.
              Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they will always use the need to acquire resources as an excuse to visit some planets (and hopefully interact with some aliens).

I don't think they will get control of the ship anywhere soon, since it completely change the dynamic of the show. Making the show closer to Voyager. That is: A possible generational ship heading toward earth trying to find way to get to earth faster. At the moment they have no control over the ship and are getting further away from earth.

Can anybody tell me what "exploration of the ship" means in their view? (I had the same problem with people saying they should explore the Atlantis city more) Obviously I mean in term of potential storylines.

At the other thread the guy wanted them to explore the ship but didn't want them to find ancient technology. For me its almost a contradiction. I think, beside a few episodes, finding new technology is about the only thing you can actually do exploring the ship. The only interesting peripeties that can happen.

Even finding new technology is *very* limited in term of the number of episodes you can't muster out of this idea. The rest is boring stuff like finding spacesuits, finding romantic bed covers .
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

you know, SGA had five years and they never got around to exploring all of the city.

as long as the sensors kept them hidden, in theory two totally separate groups could exist on either the Destiny or Atlantis and never know the other is there. Especially Atlantis since the power issues aren't as critical.

I would imagine though, the hope that the Destiny would be a key to getting the castaways home, would spur them to spend more time exploring the ship and less time exploring planets. As far as i can see it, the biggest concern planet wise is finding food and water. Or, if they can find and if the ship has any sort of matter replication (read Trek food beaming thingies) raw material for that replication.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  you know, SGA had five years and they never got around to exploring all of the city.
                  I always assumed they did, but mostly off screen. They did explore a bit on screen when they found old weir, the Ancient talking/interactive archive or when Rodney found the personal shield. I presume the rest of the exploration was uneventful.
                  Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

as long as the sensors kept them hidden, in theory two totally separate groups could exist on either the Destiny or Atlantis and never know the other is there.
                    Perhaps that explains the shuttle that left Destiny! Another crew who were on board and detected the humans and decided to leave!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                    : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

as long as the sensors kept them hidden, in theory two totally separate groups could exist on either the Destiny or Atlantis and never know the other is there. Especially Atlantis since the power issues aren't as critical.

I would imagine though, the hope that the Destiny would be a key to getting the castaways home, would spur them to spend more time exploring the ship and less time exploring planets. As far as i can see it, the biggest concern planet wise is finding food and water. Or, if they can find and if the ship has any sort of matter replication (read Trek food beaming thingies) raw material for that replication.
                      I can forsee the crew planting those seeds they found when doing inventory. They would have to at some point. Not every planet will have food they can collect. Their biggest issue will be water.

Comment

f you ever watched "the colony", the problems never run out. NEVER.

Comment

supplies, be them air, water, food, clothing, medicines, etc, are never ending and require perpetual maintenance to be kept up

surviving is a full time job
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nip mcsizzle View Post
                            I can forsee the crew planting those seeds they found when doing inventory. They would have to at some point. Not every planet will have food they can collect. Their biggest issue will be water.
                            I think I remember seeing on Mallozzi's blog a picture from Universe of some kind of hydroponic/airponic room for growing food.

Comment

I think the more important question is how long will people remain interested if they continue like this. I see a continuing weening fan base if this stuff continues as frankly it becomes less interesting over time.

Comment

Working...
                              X