Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

TV Bottom line: How long can they continue like this?

They just wait till the ship slows down at each Solar Sytem and Galaxy.. and try to get supplies.. and the lunatics create problems for the good people on the ship.. how long can this go on without weekly story burnout?

Lieutenant Colonel MattSilver 3k's Avatar

Default Re: Bottom line: How long can they continue like this?

I don't know. How many threads like this can come about without sounding redundant?
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

I don't know the exact number, but I know it's already happened. Threads like this being redundant, that is.
    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    I don't know. How many threads like this can come about without sounding redundant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    I don't know the exact number, but I know it's already happened. Threads like this being redundant, that is.
    Copy that--big time. I think the big question should be, how long can this stuff go on before viewers learn to simply not watch shows they dislike?

Quote Originally Posted by retiredat44 View Post
    They just wait till the ship slows down at each Solar Sytem and Galaxy.. and try to get supplies.. and the lunatics create problems for the good people on the ship.. how long can this go on without weekly story burnout?
    Until they're not low on supplies.

Or until
    Spoiler:
    next week when Eli, Chloe and Young swap bodies with the scientists from Earth who think they know how to get everyone home.

Probie

I will play nice and say it is a potential problem. There are, I think, some obvious alternate directions such as exploration of the ship, gaining control over life support and supply systems which will break the cycle, perhaps even being able to control Destiny's navigational control and lastly the huge potential for external influences. But there appears to be a long way to go before the crew get past the continual crises before eventually getting a bit more control over their own situation.

Quote Originally Posted by DoThKi View Post
    I will play nice and say it is a potential problem. There are, I think, some obvious alternate directions such as exploration of the ship, gaining control over life support and supply systems which will break the cycle, perhaps even being able to control Destiny's navigational control and lastly the huge potential for external influences. But there appears to be a long way to go before the crew get past the continual crises before eventually getting a bit more control over their own situation.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they will always use the need to acquire resources as an excuse to visit some planets (and hopefully interact with some aliens).

I don't think they will get control of the ship anywhere soon, since it completely change the dynamic of the show. Making the show closer to Voyager. That is: A possible generational ship heading toward earth trying to find way to get to earth faster. At the moment they have no control over the ship and are getting further away from earth.

Can anybody tell me what "exploration of the ship" means in their view? (I had the same problem with people saying they should explore the Atlantis city more) Obviously I mean in term of potential storylines.

At the other thread the guy wanted them to explore the ship but didn't want them to find ancient technology. For me its almost a contradiction. I think, beside a few episodes, finding new technology is about the only thing you can actually do exploring the ship. The only interesting peripeties that can happen.

Even finding new technology is *very* limited in term of the number of episodes you can't muster out of this idea. The rest is boring stuff like finding spacesuits, finding romantic bed covers .

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

you know, SGA had five years and they never got around to exploring all of the city.

as long as the sensors kept them hidden, in theory two totally separate groups could exist on either the Destiny or Atlantis and never know the other is there. Especially Atlantis since the power issues aren't as critical.

I would imagine though, the hope that the Destiny would be a key to getting the castaways home, would spur them to spend more time exploring the ship and less time exploring planets. As far as i can see it, the biggest concern planet wise is finding food and water. Or, if they can find and if the ship has any sort of matter replication (read Trek food beaming thingies) raw material for that replication.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver View Post
    you know, SGA had five years and they never got around to exploring all of the city.
    I always assumed they did, but mostly off screen. They did explore a bit on screen when they found old weir, the Ancient talking/interactive archive or when Rodney found the personal shield. I presume the rest of the exploration was uneventful.

as long as the sensors kept them hidden, in theory two totally separate groups could exist on either the Destiny or Atlantis and never know the other is there.
    Perhaps that explains the shuttle that left Destiny! Another crew who were on board and detected the humans and decided to leave!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
    : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* that's another story."

Probie

as long as the sensors kept them hidden, in theory two totally separate groups could exist on either the Destiny or Atlantis and never know the other is there. Especially Atlantis since the power issues aren't as critical.

I would imagine though, the hope that the Destiny would be a key to getting the castaways home, would spur them to spend more time exploring the ship and less time exploring planets. As far as i can see it, the biggest concern planet wise is finding food and water. Or, if they can find and if the ship has any sort of matter replication (read Trek food beaming thingies) raw material for that replication.
    I can forsee the crew planting those seeds they found when doing inventory. They would have to at some point. Not every planet will have food they can collect. Their biggest issue will be water.

Second Lieutenant

f you ever watched "the colony", the problems never run out. NEVER.

You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)

supplies, be them air, water, food, clothing, medicines, etc, are never ending and require perpetual maintenance to be kept up

surviving is a full time job

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by nip mcsizzle View Post
    I can forsee the crew planting those seeds they found when doing inventory. They would have to at some point. Not every planet will have food they can collect. Their biggest issue will be water.
    I think I remember seeing on Mallozzi's blog a picture from Universe of some kind of hydroponic/airponic room for growing food.

Airman

I think the more important question is how long will people remain interested if they continue like this. I see a continuing weening fan base if this stuff continues as frankly it becomes less interesting over time.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
    I think the more important question is how long will people remain interested if they continue like this. I see a continuing weening fan base if this stuff continues as frankly it becomes less interesting over time.
    If ratings are any indication for quite awhile
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

of all SGA, only season 1 can compete with SGU. that alone says enough. also, gateworld is pretty small compared to real life. most fans that complaint are HERE, or on JM's blog, or on the actor's twitters.

so i think the web can be misleading, especially because some things are said that if people were standing face-to-face with the people they talked to, those things would never be said.

would you dare to rant endlessly about how bad SGU is in the face of the entire SGU crew? do you think, that they would take you serious, and wont just kick you in the face or call Security? yet it's normal on the web.

i think first thing is supplies gathering, next thing is surviving your superiors, next thing is surviving destiny, and there are plenty of plotdevices on a million year old ship

'Earth' should be an indication that we are gonna see different stories besides the "we need this to survive." I'm sure we will have those stories from time to time, but now, we are gonna see some other stories.
    http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ignature_3.jpg
    There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
    and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antreas View Post
    'Earth' should be an indication that we are gonna see different stories besides the "we need this to survive." I'm sure we will have those stories from time to time, but now, we are gonna see some other stories.
    Doesn't
    Spoiler:
    Rush get abducted by aliens and receives some anal probes?
    At some point in this season? That would be an interesting arc if you ask me. Then There is Earth and Time that show some promise as far as none survival episodes go.

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    of all SGA, only season 1 can compete with SGU. that alone says enough. also, gateworld is pretty small compared to real life. most fans that complaint are HERE, or on JM's blog, or on the actor's twitters.

so i think the web can be misleading, especially because some things are said that if people were standing face-to-face with the people they talked to, those things would never be said.

would you dare to rant endlessly about how bad SGU is in the face of the entire SGU crew? do you think, that they would take you serious, and wont just kick you in the face or call Security? yet it's normal on the web.

i think first thing is supplies gathering, next thing is surviving your superiors, next thing is surviving destiny, and there are plenty of plotdevices on a million year old ship
    You've presumably seen more than the handful of episodes screened so far to compare it with Stargate Atlantis in it's entirety. The rest of us may reserve judgement on the possibilities of SGU's first season.

The crew of SGU are actors who may call security if they break a nail but I don't think they'll throw any of us in the brig (if they have such a thing on Destiny) - I'm hoping you just get cool counselling and relaxation therapy.

I agree, there are probably a zillion plot devices on an Ancient ship much like an ancient city, hopefully they'll choose the interesting ones.

Mag

I have to admit to being totally bemused by the bag of sand episode but am happy the hitchhikers found a home.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast