No plumbing/filtration system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No plumbing/filtration system?

I mean, if Destiny had had one, Young and Scott wouldn't have wasted time looking for pure water. They'd just replenish Destiny's reserves with as many contaminated ice blocks as they could get, and the ship would remove the impurities.

What gives?
    sigpic

we do not know if it's possible.

it contained ammonia and stuff. it contained tons of contaminants and in fact was toxic, so i doubt Destiny could filter out everything

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
      I mean, if Destiny had had one, Young and Scott wouldn't have wasted time looking for pure water. They'd just replenish Destiny's reserves with as many contaminated ice blocks as they could get, and the ship would remove the impurities.

What gives?
      There is a system. It was mentioned in 'Darkness' by Adam Brody, but it wasn't operational yet. But I do believe that was stated it was filtering waste, rather than what you suggested. Who knows, but the system was probably not functional and by the time they got it up and running, it wouldn't have made a difference. It would have been too late.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
      and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

recycling out concentrated ammonia...idk.

there is a recycling system though

Comment

If they ice they were finding had such a high percentage of other chemicals, it's not worth bringing back, even if there is a filtration system that can handle it. They way they were describing it, the ice by the gate barely had any water in it at all. Lugging several hundred pounds of ice for a few ounces of water is not worth it.
          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

The Ancients weren't THAT magical...

Comment

I am of the mind if it had one, it was damaged beyond use currently.

Comment

Why is it that destiny can fly into a star and use it to power itself but apprently not filter water? Really... This technology exists today on earth to remove amonia from water and any basic chemistry major could do it but destiny needs a pure source of human tolerable drinking water?

I think I know why the ancients never got to destiny... When the crew was about to come they realized the ship was a death trap designed by the worst engineer ever and going aboard it would be insane.

Tim

p.s. Save the "it's old" excuse because collecting energy from a star worked fine and destiny would of had no reason to use this system until needed everything on this damn ship can't be broken except for the amazing shields and faster the light travel the two most advanced things.

Comment

if i remember correctly someone did say that the recycling system wasn't working yet ..

it's there just like all the main system the crew hasn't be able to access it
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Guess what.

The recycling system is useless if there's no crew aboard. Any intelligent Ancient would know that they needed to bring supplies with them when they returned to the ship, and repair/upgrade whatever systems needed it.

All the ship needed to survive on its own were things like power and its computers. Obviously, the materials needed to do that were there and in excellent condition, and made to last.

Where is the conflict in this? Non-essential crap can be upgraded ten seconds after the Ancients arrive.

Comment

This is just getting stupid. We can have love affairs and things people building but basic life requirments well they are some shock and the hardest things to do on a ship allegidly built to explore the universe.

This is getting very stupid very fast. Atlantis started far better and far more logically then Thr ship that automatically stops for whatever you need but all it's real life support systems are borked. The FTL shields amazing flying robots they work fine but basic systems which would of been critical for it's core function not a single one works.

Suspension of belief and idiocy are not the same thing. This is Freddy kreuger level of everything going wrong but the stuff that should go wrong.

Comment

Yeah,

I have to agree that they probably just haven't discovered how to use the feature that would have filtered the bad chemicals out of the water. If they had time, I would have thought they would still grab the ice near the gate anyway and just filter it later, but they didn't have more time or additional Space Suits ready yet.

As for the running out of supplies and systems having stopped working ... have you considered that while the Ancients never made it to the ship, other people have? Like the aliens who undocked at the end of Air Part 3? or maybe other technological species that might have found the ship and tried to use it at some point.

While yes, the ship is old ... there is no reason to think that humans are the first to ever set foot on the ship, and the shuttle is pretty much proof other races (at least 2 now) have inhabited the ship.

- CB
                        Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
                        Then, you're a mile away ... and you have his shoes.

Enjoy Online Roleplaying? So do I! Contact me over any listed IM program to learn about my Online Roleplaying Website! (E-Mail me first if you plan to contact me through MSN, I have privacy mode enabled.)

Or join my Roleplaying Group, and I'll contact you!

Comment

they have a recylcing system which should include a filter.

the only reason they couldnt use the ice they found at the gate was the amount of toxins in the ice, filtering it would give you very little water and a heap of otehr junk,

so logistically speaking finding a source of purer water is better, you can get the same water you can with one trip that it would take 50 of the contaminated water

Comment

Really... Something that needs a massive planet sized power source to dial to and was meant to explore the universe manned the core life support isn't necessary for longevity to work when they gate on board and can't gate back.

That is bs. Go ask NASA what's more important on the iss the life support or the light bulbs becaus I've yet to see one light not work but water food and air well those they don't work.

It's idiotic, it's Atlantis in bizzaroland where the anients screw up seeming everything needed to make this ship actually work as intended.

How long do we have to wait till one single thing works on destiny that should and the magic pitstopmachine to stop working bcause that's getting old. Can't build a renewable water filtration system to work but your ship can magically know what's wrong and stop you at the nearest planet to have you do just barely enough tot fix it but not be automatted like the star energy collection.

Lame.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by timmciglobal View Post
                              Atlantis started far better and far more logically then Thr ship that automatically stops for whatever you need but all it's real life support systems are borked.
                              Do we really want to start a discussion about the realism of a flying city in near-flawless condition after thousands of years, versus an even older ship flying through space, programmed to do so without a crew for countless centuries if needed?

Comment

Working...
                              X