Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the destiny dial Earth at full power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the destiny dial Earth at full power?

The last episode seemed to hint that although in the first one rush said the ship isnt capable?

its not, the gates have a limited range

Comment

I don't know actually, Eli said Destiny is only running at 40% of its power after charging. It may be possible, Rush didn't dismiss the idea, but said it wasn't possible at their CURRENT power.

Comment

They may not be able to dial out but they can be dialed into. It would be a one-way trip...very scary but in theory at least, Atlantis should be able to dial the Destiny and should be able to receive supply runs.
        I can see an episode about the group of reinforcements sent who are willing to take a one way trip to the far side of the universe. I wonder what kind of people would volunteer for a one way trip like that? It would make for a great end of season finale or a great way to begin a new season with new characters.

Comment

we were told by the ptb that the destiny gates were all limited in range and technically couldnt dial earth....doesnt mean that its impossible though

dont you think that if the original gate can dial anywhere that the others gates would.

Comment

Rush said that the ship isnt capable of dialing Earth, but i dont trust anyting rush says.

Comment

I would think that the Ancients would have wanted a way back to Earth. Although, it's possible that they planned to bring a gate (dissembled of course) capable of dialing Earth with them. Or some sort of an upgrade for the one on Destiny.

If it can dial back though, it's probably locked to one specific gate with a code instead of an address. It would probably be the Antarctic gate if it's not an older gate that isn't on Earth or doesn't exist anymore. And maybe they need to be fully charged and/or parked in a star to have enough power.

If they can't, they need to figure that out soon (by the end of this season) so they can start trying to find another way home or accept that there is no way home other than taking control of Destiny (and destiny). And I'm guessing it would take Destiny a long time to get to Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by jdog View Post
                The last episode seemed to hint that although in the first one rush said the ship isnt capable?
                Rush said quite clearly that the ship might have been able to dial and connect to Earth thousands of years ago. Again, it's a power issue. Even at full power, because they are so much farther away than the Ancients ever intended, the ship probably doesn't have enough power to make a connection with Earth.
                I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

I'm sure there is a way home, not sure what it will be...ask me in 5 years
                  sigpic

Comment

It would probably be the Antarctic gate if it's not an older gate that isn't on Earth or doesn't exist anymore.
                    That would be messed up. If it was only able to dial one gate, but it was one we destroyed..

Comment

Originally posted by Dan1879 View Post
                      Rush said that the ship isnt capable of dialing Earth, but i dont trust anyting rush says.
                      He has turned out to be right about everything so far.

Stop being such a Col. Young

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                        He has turned out to be right about everything so far.

Stop being such a Col. Young
                        But he's such hard work.
                        sigpic

Comment

I wish they could dial earth so all the cry babies and candy canes could leave and quit the whining.
                          sigpic

Comment

i just was browsing JM's blog and someone asked this question

Apparently the gate CAN dial earth but require more power than the ship can have, even at full capacity

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                              Rush said quite clearly that the ship might have been able to dial and connect to Earth thousands of years ago. Again, it's a power issue. Even at full power, because they are so much farther away than the Ancients ever intended, the ship probably doesn't have enough power to make a connection with Earth.
                              Bingo.

The real question for me is if the issue is only one with regards to power. If the writers make it just a power issue then at some point in the show it could be possible to introduce some other power source opening up new directions to write the show.

Comment

Working...
                              X