Spencer's attitude and treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by senatorincitatus View Post
    Couple reasons. For one thing, I don't think most people like Telford as much as they like Young. For another, we don't know the circumstances of the Telford incident, but Spencer was in very real danger of inciting the remaining crew to riot and needed to be stopped posthaste. It's unlikely that the situation that led to Greer hitting Telford was comparable.
    Surely whether Telford is less likeable than Young is completely besides the point. Greer still struck a superior officer

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
    But greer is still part of a more troubling attitude set.
    At last!!! Someone else who doesn't think that the sun shines out of Greer's backside!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Detritus View Post
      At last!!! Someone else who doesn't think that the sun shines out of Greer's backside!!!!
      Oh, make no mistake: Not for a second do I deny that Greer has his problems and his history. I just think he's one of the most entertaining and three-dimensional characters on the show, and it's only six episodes in!
      sigpic
      http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
        Oh, make no mistake: Not for a second do I deny that Greer has his problems and his history. I just think he's one of the most entertaining and three-dimensional characters on the show, and it's only six episodes in!
        Point taken. It's just that sometimes the Greer-love on here gets a bit overwhelming.

It's difficult to explain why I prefer Spencer but I do

Oh, I just got promoted

Comment

Surely whether Telford is less likeable than Young is completely besides the point. Greer still struck a superior officer
          It's not beside the point if you're questioning why the fans are okay with one act of insubordination and not another.

I agree with Cory. I like the character because he's troubled. It makes him a billion times more interesting than someone you could always count on to do the right thing in every situation.

Point taken. It's just that sometimes the Greer-love on here gets a bit overwhelming.
          It's difficult to explain why I prefer Spencer but I do
          Spencer is also a very interesting character. I think the only reasons he's not more popular are that first, he's been deliberately set up in opposition to our main characters, and second, he hasn't been shown to have much of a sense of humor. For my money, that makes him a less likable person but in no way compromises his likability as a character.

Oh, I just got promoted
          Congrats, Airman!

Comment

Originally posted by senatorincitatus View Post
            Spencer is also a very interesting character. I think the only reasons he's not more popular are that first, he's been deliberately set up in opposition to our main characters, and second, he hasn't been shown to have much of a sense of humor. For my money, that makes him a less likable person but in no way compromises his likability as a character.
            You know, I couldn't have put it any better myself

Comment

You know, I couldn't have put it any better myself
              I don't understand what you agree with there? You like him despite very little occuring within the narrative that incites the viewer to empathize with him?

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
                I don't understand what you agree with there? You like him despite very little occuring within the narrative that incites the viewer to empathize with him?
                Spencer at this point could still be redeemed. I could see empathy for someone with a prescription drug addiction. Subtle hints, but it was there. Especially because I'm sure he knows that when his supply is gone, it's going to be involuntary cold turkey. I've known people in real life that had addictions to prescription painkillers, and withdrawal is not pretty.

So yeah, I could empathize with him to some extent, but his attitude is really destroying what little morale there is aboard the ship.

Comment

Did anyone else think when those guys took spencer away in Water they would deal with him their own way? Meh he will probably die of an overdose..shame though.

Or is my imagination going crazy again?
                  Tst

Comment

In my personal opinion, I don't really want to condem Spencer purely for being on pharmaceuticals, as many, particularly for pain, induce a chemical dependance in the body which doesn't mean that someone's an 'addict' in the traditional sense of the word. If he's taking painkillers, it could be because he's in pain. There's a significant difference between taking pain pills for dependence because of that reason, and taking them to get a 'hit', which is the situations in which people overdose.

I'm just saying this to be devil's advocate here, but I thought this viewpoint should be raised To be clear, the above doesn't have any bearing on my view of him stealing rations or trying to incite mutiny, both of which I'm very much against. I just don't think he should be judged so severly on this point

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff-B View Post
                      Spencer already came awful close to inciting a mutiny once already, and probably would have succeeded if Greer hadn't dropped him like a sack of potatoes. Then he was caught red-handed hoarding probably 10 gallons of water or more while Young and associates are trying to ration it to last as long as possible. You could kind of expect civilian scientists to act like this, but being military he should know better.

I've never been in the military, but aren't you supposed to follow orders from a superior officer without question? Even specifically in SG canon, wasn't there a few times that some Marines accompanied SG1 on missions, and they followed O'Neill's (Air Force Colonel's) orders to hold the gate?
                      You are supposed to follow LAWFUL orders. Like if i give you an order to take say hill X but some of the enemy combatants there are women and you object to hurting females, you are still supposed to do it. BUT if i ordered you to kill said women and they were NOT combatants you would be well within your rights to refuse.

That is true, and he should be punished for it. Normally for assult of a superior officer it is 15 days in the brig, reduction in rank to E1 (for those NOT E7 and above) and most likely that is it, though thye can also push for an Other than Honerable discharge. BUT with them needing every able bodied man on the ship, at most i could see young giving him a public berating and yank a stripe,..

Comment

Originally posted by Radahldo View Post
                        I like him because he is so deliberately being set up as the villain and I like being contrary

Comment

Working...
                        X