This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a Douche (another rant at Scott)

Its that time again to make another rant on the character of Scott. Last time i put him down for his character on the sex issue (see "How Christian of Him" in the "Light" Thread).

After seeing this episode (which was great imo) the character of Scott has been brought down another notch for me.

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Leaving his radio off?

He had least had the decadency to leave his radio on when he was having sex with the "broom closet girl".

What if there was an emergency?

This just shows more irresponsibility of Scott.

I would not want a soldier who is not taking his "Duty" seriously and is instead going AWOL while making out with girls.

His mission while on Duty is to be protecting the crew of the Destiny from foreign or domestic enemies and responding to authority, etc, not making out with a girl with the radio off.

It is quite sad that it takes a fellow soldier to knock him to his senses.

IMO he should be demoted or have some kind of punishment given to him.

Im respecting Greer more and more and disliking Scott more and more. Im sure Greer (black bad ass dude) wouldn't be doing something like this.

Im sure real world military members on GateWorld have a problem with this.

Thoughts on this issue (all opinions are welcomed)?

His mission while on Duty is to be protecting the crew of the Destiny
    "

Not saying i don't agree with you but just wanted to know... when is one "on duty"

They don't know when the ship is going to stop or whent he gates gonna dial... so hes technically always on duty....

There is also the readio power issue..we don't know if they are using the battery charging device yet...

But yeah hes a douch i don't like his character much anymore
    67 point(s) total!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eliteaceman View Post
      "

Not saying i don't agree with you but just wanted to know... when is one "on duty"

They don't know when the ship is going to stop or whent he gates gonna dial... so hes technically always on duty....

There is also the readio power issue..we don't know if they are using the battery charging device yet...

But yeah hes a douch i don't like his character much anymore
      About the radio power issue. They didn't use the battery charging device in "darkness" because the ship ran out of power, but it has been shown to be able to charge earth tech. However since the ship has been recharged because of the sun im sure they are charging up radio's flashlights, etc, off screen.

So to me that is not an excuse for his behavior.

Comment

Yeah it was annoying. But presumably this is one of the flaws he's going to be living with. It's not like he's the only one. Just the most apparent one. It's not like he has no good qualities either.
        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

It just seemed like a mistake he made. I don't like how we have to interpret the scene through James' hostility. That would automatically prejudice the viewer to the situation.
          But he immediately showed concern for Young in his very next spoken line. It's not like he's this "douche" or anything.

Comment

Scott is irresponsible. And sometimes inconsiderate. But he's not a mean guy. Young even said he had a good heart.
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
              Scott is irresponsible. And sometimes inconsiderate. But he's not a mean guy. Young even said he had a good heart.
              Exactly. Dude has flaws, because he's a human. A young guy with a tragic past and all that jazz. Maybe some of his more flawy flaws will be resolved, or some amplified to create a great future arc.

Interesting stuff.

(And, as an aside, can you blame the guy for keeping his radio off? He didn't want to be interrupted, obviously. )
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by haloplayer View Post
                Its that time again to make another rant on the character of Scott. Last time i put him down for his character on the sex issue (see "How Christian of Him" in the "Light" Thread).

After seeing this episode (which was great imo) the character of Scott has been brought down another notch for me.

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Leaving his radio off?

He had least had the decadency to leave his radio on when he was having sex with the "broom closet girl".

This just shows more irresponsibility of Scott.

I would not want a soldier who is not taking his "Duty" seriously and is instead going AWOL while making out with girls.

His mission while on Duty is to be protecting the crew of the Destiny from foreign or domestic enemies and responding to authority, etc, not making out with a girl with the radio off.

It is quite sad that it takes a fellow soldier to knock him to his senses.

IMO he should be demoted or have some kind of punishment given to him.

Im respecting Greer more and more and disliking Scott more and more. Im sure Greer (black bad ass dude) wouldn't be doing something like this.

Thoughts on this issue (all opinions are welcomed)?
                Yes because every solider is perfect and infallible. I’m military and I have no problem with his character. People screw up all the time in the military, we are human after all. The point of Lieutenant Scott’s character, in my opinion is that while he is brave he is also someone with a lot of self control issues. I have no problem with that it’s realistic and the writers weren’t setting out to create perfect nice characters you would want to sit down and have a beer with, they wanted people with flaws. Now if you think that every person in the military is completely perfect and never makes a mistake you need a reality check.

Comment

Actually the point about who's "on" and "off" duty is a good one. We really don't know exactly what the rules of engagement are given the extremely unique situation the "crew" of the Destiny is in. I can understand why Scott might turn off his radio on the one hand, and then on the other it seems like a dereliction of duty. Consider in this latest episode a man arguing for his "Rights." Just what rights does anyone have on this ship really. From a purely technical perspective, everyone on board is living under a hierarchical military dictatorship; and there hasn't been time to establish any kind of rule of law, so to speak.

Scott has his problems, but he's still a good man. Given the situation, I think relatively minor infractions like these aren't likely to cause too much of an uproar. Now, if someone turns off their radio and wanders off and somebody dies, well that's another story entirely. I am of course interested to see where these events lead, we're still just six episodes in and three of those were the pilot.

Comment

The original poster is right. Scott truly think with is.... He's the second in command. He can't leave his radio off under the current Destiny crew predicament. Its totally irresponsible of him. Though its consistent with his character.
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I don't know why so many people say "OMG OMG THEY WERE HAVING SEX AGAIN"
                      . They were kissing...it's different you know..I didn't really care on my part about him turning his radio off, irresponsible and stupid now that I think about it.
                      Tst

Comment

Leaving his radio off?

I didn't think much of this thread (ie. just another put down of a character) but I actually agree with you on this.

His position, albeit it one he has inherited, requires more professionalism. He got to this rank not because he's a young idiot, but because he's shown something to his superior officers at some point.

With the situation as it stands, Scott needs to step it up a notch!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                        : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

I must say the original poster is wrong at turning this into a Scott rant. As "sex" seem to be a pretty consistent Scott's flaw. I'm not 100% sure, lets say 98%, but I think its written that way.
                          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

He can do whatever he wants being alpha stud and second in command with the colonel ready to drop dead any minute. And since this is supposed to be some what realistic, you take what you get and deal with it. He's still the best available person for the job, he never asked to be placed into that position. People criticise popular characters for not being perfect, but never stop to think what life would be like if that character wasn't even there in the first place, everything would be worst off. Ungrateful sods.

Comment

Seems not since they seem to be of the opinion that military personnel are human too. I don't how you've come to be of the opinion that people in the military are any different than anyone else, but it's not very accurate or realistic.

Is it a problem that Scott didn't have his radio on? Yes. Was it a bad time not to have his radio on? Not really, since there wasn't anything pressing going on. Some one else was able to promptly find him.

Of all the military personnel on Destiny, Spencer is the one who is screwing things up the worst. He's the one that should be taking the most heat.
                              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X