Probie

Default Stargate FILM Canon vs. SG-1/Etc. Canon.

Here's a thread for those of us such as myself who consider the Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich feature film is in an entire different Canon compared to the SG-1 spin-off Canon. What falls under each canon you say?
    Here we go:

FILM Canon: The 1994 Feature film, the tie-in novel, the SNES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive video game, the Bill McCay sequel novels, the comic book adaptation and the comic books sequels to the comic book adaptation. Of course the eventual last two parts to the 1994 film.

SG-1 Canon: SG-1s variant of the events of the 1994 film with their versions of the characters, SG-1, Atlantis, Ark of Truth, Continuum, Universe, the following merchandise including books, comics and eventual Stargate: Worlds MMO.

In other words, everyone from the Film Canon has NEVER met any of the SG-1 Canon. Same actors for the characters in both canons? I'd say exact duplicates.

Default Re: Stargate FILM Canon vs. SG-1/Etc. Canon.

I like to view the movie and series taking place in an alternate universe.

Probie

Lightbulb Re: Stargate FILM Canon vs. SG-1/Etc. Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    I like to view the movie and series taking place in an alternate universe.
    That works too but just maybe the two different Canons are a better explanation of the differences. I was considering the Alternate universe side for the SG-1 show and the Film to be the main one but I got too confused with myself about it.
    The best replacement actor for SG-1 from the film, for being near the original Film canon character, is Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson.
    I would've LOVED it if Roland Emmerich, Dean Devlin, Kurt Russell and James Spader were involved in an epic multipart mini-series where the Film Canon accidentally slips into the SG-1 Canon. Maybe 5 episodes? Of course the Russell O'Neil would have conflcts with Andersons O'Neill, BOTH Jacksons would be chummy and of course possibly Skaara joined the FILM Canons Stargate program.
    I still need to reread the Bill McCay Film sequel novels and the ones I haven't read. Even having difficulty finding the comic book sequels to the films.
    There's even a CD-ROM which was released along with the 1994 Film.

First Lieutenant

I think most of the differences are irrelevant, and there have been bigger differences between episodes of SG-1. I'd happily consider the series to be a direct continuation of the movie, and just ignore the few differences (most of which are exaggerated or misquoted in fandom anyway)
    I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbeliefhttp://www.titanquest.net/forums/ima...ies/rockon.gif

The current franchise's canon version of the original movie is the movie with everything that contradicts removed, i.e. Abydos being located in the Kalium Galaxy, etc. Tiny, virtually meaningless things that don't change anything.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Quote Originally Posted by Bareassedmunky View Post
    I think most of the differences are irrelevant, and there have been bigger differences between episodes of SG-1. I'd happily consider the series to be a direct continuation of the movie, and just ignore the few differences (most of which are exaggerated or misquoted in fandom anyway)
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
    That works too but just maybe the two different Canons are a better explanation of the differences. I was considering the Alternate universe side for the SG-1 show and the Film to be the main one but I got too confused with myself about it.
    The best replacement actor for SG-1 from the film, for being near the original Film canon character, is Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson.
    I would've LOVED it if Roland Emmerich, Dean Devlin, Kurt Russell and James Spader were involved in an epic multipart mini-series where the Film Canon accidentally slips into the SG-1 Canon. Maybe 5 episodes? Of course the Russell O'Neil would have conflcts with Andersons O'Neill, BOTH Jacksons would be chummy and of course possibly Skaara joined the FILM Canons Stargate program.
    I still need to reread the Bill McCay Film sequel novels and the ones I haven't read. Even having difficulty finding the comic book sequels to the films.
    There's even a CD-ROM which was released along with the 1994 Film.
    Looking at it this way, there's more than just two. There's also the novels that unofficially continued the movie that were released before (and concurrent with) SG-1. There's the non-canon SG-1 and SGA comics, which may be considered to constitute a canon on their own. There's also Stargate Infinity.

There's more to this franchise than people realize!

yea there is alot more although stargate infinity is considered non canon by TPTB also simple things like abydos being part of the kaliem galaxy can be disspelled by just saying that it was actually in the MM we just didnt know that the MM stretched that far

Quote Originally Posted by _Famrir_ View Post
    yea there is alot more although stargate infinity is considered non canon by TPTB also simple things like abydos being part of the kaliem galaxy can be disspelled by just saying that it was actually in the MM we just didnt know that the MM stretched that far
    Or... more likely, the US Military just made a mistake.

What's the old saying about US military intelligence?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by _Famrir_ View Post
    It can't be explained by that at all. It could possibly be explained by saying they miscalculated the distance the wormhole travelled, but certainly not that the milky was stretched as far as the edge of the known universe. If you accepted that explanation, it would create hundreds of other inconsistencies...most significantly the fact that atlantis was in the pegasus galaxy

But it doesn't need to be explained. The movie and the show were made by two different people. The reason why the put abydos into the milky way was to limit the scope of the initial story, and to explain why that was the only planet they could dial without the cartouche. They contradicted the movie because it made more sense in the context of the series, but is an irrelevant fact in the original concept of the movie.
    I don't mean to sound like a nerdy fan who talks about science-fiction like it is real, but the problem with 'clever' storylines is that they make the audience start to think, and if you put in bad science, they are more likely to notice it. It breaks the suspension of disbeliefhttp://www.titanquest.net/forums/ima...ies/rockon.gif

First Lieutenant Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper's Avatar

I'd happily consider the series to be a direct continuation of the movie, and just ignore the few differences (most of which are exaggerated or misquoted in fandom anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganthet Jr. View Post
    The current franchise's canon version of the original movie is the movie with everything that contradicts removed, i.e. Abydos being located in the Kalium Galaxy, etc. Tiny, virtually meaningless things that don't change anything.
    I tend to agree. Devil and Emmerich had a different vision of their canon. However the events in the 1994 movie that are later referred to in Children of the Gods are a part of the SG1 canon and the best way to view those events is to watch the Devlin/Emmerich movie. You can either ignore the differences (different actors, Kaliem galaxy etc.) or reconcile those differences to yourself by considering them different interpretations of the general storyline by different storytellers. Kind of like two scholars interpreting the same piece history differently.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
    I tend to agree. Devil and Emmerich had a different vision of their canon. However the events in the 1994 movie that are later referred to in Children of the Gods are a part of the SG1 canon and the best way to view those events is to watch the Devlin/Emmerich movie. You can either ignore the differences (different actors, Kaliem galaxy etc.) or reconcile those differences to yourself by considering them different interpretations of the general storyline by different storytellers.

You could almost look at it like this - the original movie is not canon at all. But any references to what happened in the movie made in the series must be based on events that happened in the continuity of the series. Therefore it is the references that are canon rather than what they are referring too...but that would be reading waaaaay too far into irrelevant things

You could almost look at it like this - the original movie is not canon at all. But any references to what happened in the movie made in the series must be based on events that happened in the continuity of the series. Therefore it is the references that are canon rather than what they are referring too...but that would be reading waaaaay too far into irrelevant things
    Or we could just accept that there are flaws throughout both SG1 AND Sg1 & The Movie. Many things occur within SG1 that are later contradicted or ignored, and realistically, the same can be said of the movie.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

First Lieutenant Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    Or we could just accept that there are flaws throughout both SG1 AND Sg1 & The Movie. Many things occur within SG1 that are later contradicted or ignored, and realistically, the same can be said of the movie.
    Yes, that too.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
    I was aiming to trick the canon nutters into looking at it from another point of view - by taking the who canon/non-canon concept to extremes, it highlights the irrelevance of such discussions while using language and logic that they love

FILM Canon: The 1994 Feature film, the tie-in novel, the SNES and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive video game, the Bill McCay sequel novels, the comic book adaptation and the comic books sequels to the comic book adaptation. Of course the eventual last two parts to the 1994 film.
    Actually the McCay novels and pretty much everything after the film is based on Roland Emmerich's notes and all of them are largely considered non-canon and do not follow strict continuity. The same is true of additional media beyond the television franchise except for direct tie-in movies like Ark of Truth and Continuum.

Much like with Star Wars and Star Trek some elements do sometimes find their way into the canon.