No announcement yet.

Being Human (Syfy Remake) - News/Discussion/Spec. Spoilers for most recent ep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being Human (Syfy Remake) - News/Discussion/Spec. Spoilers for most recent ep

The BBC's clever 20-something show Being Human about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost who end up as roommates is the latest British series to get an Americanized version. Syfy has ordered 13 episodes of the new series, which it plans to launch in the summer or fall or 2010 as a companion to its show Sanctuary (which also features a vampire and a werewolf).
    Being Human debuted on the digital network BBC Three with six episodes and was popular enough that it got moved up to the larger BBC One. A second season of eight episodes is planned for early next year in Britain, and the show also airs in the U.S. on BBC America.
    "It turned out great as we can now do an American version," Syfy president Dave Howe told The Hollywood Reporter. "We've always been keen on vampires and werewolves, and we loved the originality of Being Human, the fact that the fantastical creatures in it are very young, accessible and charming."

Howe said the Syfy version will not just "slavishly replicate the British version."

as much as i loved the show, this could go any way, ie American "Red Dwarf" (horrible) or American "The Office" (great)

and i hope it is different enough to enjoy both US and British series in parallel if it is good
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

I don't see much good coming of this, american remakes of british series tend to lose the type of humour from the original series and suffer as a result.
      sigpic

Comment

I've been seeing a lot of good things about this show from my LJ friends, but haven't actually seen it myself yet. However, I don't get why Syfy doesn't just air the BBC version instead of remaking it. Haven't they shown BBC shows before?
        - Life after Stargate -
        Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
        Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
        sigpic

Comment

I hope they will fail spectecularly with this. I HATE all those re-makes and was very happy when ABC failed with their re-make from LoM. When will they ever learn.... I have also read somewhere that some channel in the US is re-making "Five Days" : headdesk :
          He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
          He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
          And he's wonderful.

Comment

I don't understand why they just don't show the BBC version, they show Primeval, Doctor Who, and SJA on the channel already. Well, the haven't shown them in a while...

Comment

Official Press Announcement for Re-Imagined Being Human on Syfy - see link below

http://scifiandtvtalk.wordpress.com/...comes-to-syfy/

Comment

being human was great...kinda spooks me to see skiffy 'reimagine' it.

how about just taking hte idea and letting it be different? does it HAVE to be the same formula?
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I'm sure that by the time they are done it will be nothing like the original anyway.
                  sigpic

Comment

dammit, I was hoping we would have the show back in a few months,, that's a very long wait..

great show..
                    My Story:
                    http://www.veteranstoday.com/2010/10...%80%99s-story/

Comment

Originally posted by retiredat44 View Post
                      dammit, I was hoping we would have the show back in a few months,, that's a very long wait..

great show..
                      It is a great show but the problem is how good will a remake of it be.
                      sigpic

Comment

Personally I do not believe the American version will get the right mix of comedy and drama. An I am going to bet that they will probably take most of the drama out of it or most of comedy. Which is a shame because the UK version had the right mixed.

But I guest it wait an see,

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          Personally I do not believe the American version will get the right mix of comedy and drama. An I am going to bet that they will probably take most of the drama out of it or most of comedy. Which is a shame because the UK version had the right mixed.

But I guest it wait an see,
                          Somehow i just don't see it being that good.
                          sigpic

Comment

my money is on the ghost running around in a tank top, the vamp being sexy and hot and yeah, the comedy will not be a good mix.

i don't trust skiffy to even try to do it right, here's hoping they surprise me
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Killdeer View Post
                              I've been seeing a lot of good things about this show from my LJ friends, but haven't actually seen it myself yet. However, I don't get why Syfy doesn't just air the BBC version instead of remaking it. Haven't they shown BBC shows before?
                              probably because the british version of the series is just not long enough, 6 episodes a year is not enough to satisfy the american audience. and since they are 1h long without ad breaks (and not designed with adbreaks in mind) they would be annoying to air with ad breaks. they'd be all over the place and the show would have to air over a 1h30m slot.
                              Spoiler:
                              Disclaimer:
                              I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                              Quotes!
                              - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                              - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                              - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X