No announcement yet.

The Lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless there's the right kind of radiation in which case they'll mutate into superhumans...
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
      As I said before, inbreeding becomes a problem after only a handful of generations: there simply isn't enough genetic material. Also, although a 4 male 13 female split certainly exacerbates the problem, having a roughly 50/50 ratio doesn't solve the problem: 17 people is too small a gene pool for any long-term colony.
      To put it simply, if they tried to make a whole population out of that many people, you'l'l have the folks who populate SyFy's horror flicks containing the inbred mutant cannabilistic hillbillies. (although realistically they'd probably die out but this is SyFy so they'll go the gratutitous gore way)

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
        As I said before, inbreeding becomes a problem after only a handful of generations: there simply isn't enough genetic material. Also, although a 4 male 13 female split certainly exacerbates the problem, having a roughly 50/50 ratio doesn't solve the problem: 17 people is too small a gene pool for any long-term colony.
        Studies done on many people of varying cultures have found that the offspring of first cousins are not any more likely to have unhealthy children unless there is a severe genetic defect present in the parents or the population is overtly homozygous. First cousins could only share maximum 25% homozygous DNA, which isn't too far off the average random paring of people of 2 similar genetic backgrounds. When any of the parents are mixed race or varying races, the children could share as low as 12.5% common DNA, as random as finding a stranger on the street and having a child with them. ( actually, it is possible to share zero genetics with a first cousin, but it is very unlikely, I was going by averages.)

Considering the varied races amongst the crew, I would doubt that there would be too many double recessive genetic issues floating around (unless of course one of the African American crew members is Nigerian/Liberian decent and a "white" crew member is actually of Ashkanasi Hebrew decent, causing possible sickle cell anemia.). I would think the ideal number of males would really top out at the 5-6 number.

You are also forgetting the possibility of what is called "cross-gen breeding", using older males as a stud for unrelated 2nd gen females. This widens the genetic pool out. It can be done in reverse, but our social and cultural mores won't allow it in humans as much (as the "spacer" women would be unable to have kids with the 2nd gen males until they reached at least their early teens, when many of them might be at the end of breeding age). Also, males maintain fertility much longer than females, again making it even more likely.

Comment

I'm putting the quote in spoilers to save space.
          Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
          Spoiler:
          Studies done on many people of varying cultures have found that the offspring of first cousins are not any more likely to have unhealthy children unless there is a severe genetic defect present in the parents or the population is overtly homozygous. First cousins could only share maximum 25% homozygous DNA, which isn't too far off the average random paring of people of 2 similar genetic backgrounds. When any of the parents are mixed race or varying races, the children could share as low as 12.5% common DNA, as random as finding a stranger on the street and having a child with them. ( actually, it is possible to share zero genetics with a first cousin, but it is very unlikely, I was going by averages.)

Considering the varied races amongst the crew, I would doubt that there would be too many double recessive genetic issues floating around (unless of course one of the African American crew members is Nigerian/Liberian decent and a "white" crew member is actually of Ashkanasi Hebrew decent, causing possible sickle cell anemia.). I would think the ideal number of males would really top out at the 5-6 number.

You are also forgetting the possibility of what is called "cross-gen breeding", using older males as a stud for unrelated 2nd gen females. This widens the genetic pool out. It can be done in reverse, but our social and cultural mores won't allow it in humans as much (as the "spacer" women would be unable to have kids with the 2nd gen males until they reached at least their early teens, when many of them might be at the end of breeding age). Also, males maintain fertility much longer than females, again making it even more likely.
          These are all valid points.

Nevertheless, IIRC, there is still a minimum population size necessary for there to be enough genetic diversity/breeding options for long-term survival. Again, if I recall correctly, that size is in the hundreds, not the dozens.
          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
          - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
          - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
          - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by dunce_d View Post
            I think Young knew that the planet was not likely able to support life. The mission of the Destiny is to follow the seeder ships that deposited stargates on worlds that the ancients would likely have visited. Since there was no stargate in that star system then all of the planets would have been deemed inhospitable to ancient/human life forms, at least at the time when they were surveyed by the seeder ships. The conditions of planets that have stargates have obviously changed since they were initially surveyed, as we have seen by the desert planet in air, but it is unlikely that they would have improved with time.
            we do not know if there are stargates in the system, because our gate had zero power and we could not dial out!

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
              I was waiting for a remark from Young, that never came.
              It was to tell people that to be chosen to go in the shuttle is not so much luckier than to stay in Destiny, since they don't know if the planet is inhabitable... So "winning" at this lottery is not necessary lucky..
              I have to completely agree!

Comment

Originally posted by Arga View Post
                Do you think Wray was right to suggest that Young individually choose people, based on their skills, to increase the chance of survival?
                I do think Wray was right, but that's my personal opinion and as much as I hate to admit it, Young has the right to his opinion. I do, however, think that Young's inability to comprehend Wray's suggestion, and his refusal to even consider the suggestion demonstrates that Young is not fit to command under such duress. In difficult situations such as these, leaders have to make decisions they aren't entirely comfortable with, for the survival of the species etc. Prime example, BSG, Roslin who was apparently pro-choice, made the decision to ban abortions because human reproduction was at that time their prime concern. She had to go against her personal beliefs for the good of her people (btw, I'm not suggesting that I am anti-abortion, just using that situation as an example).

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
                Like the first Airman
                No, we'd seen the first airman (Riley) quite a bit, as we had James, Park, Brody, Becker...while some were formerly unseen, we had been familiar with the majority chosen.

Why would they even consider having babies, stretching presumably thin resources even further?
                Because ultimately the goal of DNA is to replicate, reproduce and survive? Why else send a group of people to a planet, if they only hope to survive a few more years, then die off. I'm assuming that some were hoping that they'd be able to survive long enough as a community for Earth technology to figure out a way to find them and take them home...

Comment

Working...
                X