The Lottery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lottery

I was waiting for a remark from Young, that never came.
    It was to tell people that to be chosen to go in the shuttle is not so much luckier than to stay in Destiny, since they don't know if the planet is inhabitable... So "winning" at this lottery is not necessary lucky..

Also, the idea for this escape was to take refuge in a new planet. As human instincts dictate, the goal would eventually be to populate the planet, after they secure themselves. So wouldn't it be more logical to set a 50/50 proportion of male/female to go on the shuttle? (imagine that Chance only took males from the box, TJ would have been the only female! oh dear...)

Do you think Wray was right to suggest that Young individually choose people, based on their skills, to increase the chance of survival?

Anyway, it's funny that the "lucky" 17 people, are all characters that we've already seen play a more or less important role in the series, and not some people we've never seen in close-up before, like some extra, taken in the crowd...
    I would have liked that Fate had chosen some actor/extra whom we haven't been introduced to yet.
    We see there the limits of a tv show and real life...
    Last edited by Arga; 28 October 2009, 01:12 PM. Reason: wow it's my 600th post!

Originally posted by Arga View Post
    I was waiting for a remark from Young, that never came.
    It was to tell people that to be chosen to go in the shuttle is not so much luckier than to stay in Destiny, since they don't know if the planet is inhabitable... So "winning" at this lottery is not necessary lucky..

Also, the idea for this escape was to take refuge in a new planet. As human instincts dictate, the goal would eventually be to populate the planet, after they secure themselves. So wouldn't it be more logical to set a 50/50 proportion of male/female to go on the shuttle? (imagine that Chance only took males from the box, TJ would have been the only female! oh dear...)

Do you think Wray was right to suggest that Young individually choose people, based on their skills, to increase the chance of survival?

Anyway, it's funny that the "lucky" 17 people, are all characters that we've already seen play a more or less important role in the series, and not some people we've never seen in close-up before, like some extra, taken in the crowd...
    I would have liked that Fate had chosen some actor/extra whom we haven't been introduced to yet.
    We see there the limits of a tv show and real life...
    I'm not sure Young wanted the responsibility of choosing the people who would survive, Wray only wanted Young to fix the lottery or choose the people outright as she wanted him to pick her.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
      I'm not sure Young wanted the responsibility of choosing the people who would survive, Wray only wanted Young to fix the lottery or choose the people outright as she wanted him to pick her.
      That's not true. She honestly thought the crew would be better off if they fixed it to ensure their best odds of survival... and given who went, he may well have despite what he told Rush.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I was amused that in about 10 minutes the 'survivors vs doomed' completely reversed sides
        If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
        Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

ape was to take refuge in a new planet. As human instincts dictate, the goal would eventually be to populate the planet
          No, you don't repopulate a planet with 15 people and it's very unlikely many of them, no matter what skill set, would survive whatever the planet's version of 'winter' would be. This was just a chance to live maybe another day and get a chance to go down fighting.
          If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning Ducj View Post
            ... and it's very unlikely many of them, no matter what skill set, would survive whatever the planet's version of 'winter' would be. This was just a chance to live maybe another day and get a chance to go down fighting.
            At the time of the lottery, no one knew the planet was a rock. There was only Rush's speculation that it should be 'moderate'. It could have turned out to be somewhat like Earth, in which case they could have lived long and prosper.

Of course, it could have also been worse than what they encountered. Fact stands, there was a chance they'd be able to live just fine.
            Last edited by slurredspeech; 28 October 2009, 01:46 PM.
            you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Not true. There were some unfamiliar faces and names, who hadn't been introduced before that.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                Not true. There were some unfamiliar faces and names, who hadn't been introduced before that.

Like the first Airman

Comment

I had a feeling it would all be ok... i couldn't see the series being based on 17 people who are living on a random planet without a stargate lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

Like the first Airman
                    Huh? Becker was the one who worked in the mess. I meant there was a doctor. Unfamiliar names were David Walters and Boone. And they didn't count all the 15 on screen.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slurredspeech View Post
                      At the time of the lottery, no one knew the planet was a rock. There was only Rush's speculation that it should be 'moderate'. It could have turned out to be somewhat like Earth, in which case they could have lived long and prosper.

Of course, it could have also been worse then what they encountered. Fact stands, there was a chance they'd be able to live just fine.
                      No, humans do not survive 'just fine' in isolated groups like that. "Gilligan's Island" was fantasy after all. We're too adapted too and dependent on our social and technological infrastructure. Some very few can and some can last longer than most, but for the most part, they could land on Hawaii and few would survive anyway. And with the slim chance of Greer, I don't see that any of the characters identified so far would have both the training and/or experience and mental toughness to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                        Huh? Becker was the one who worked in the mess. I meant there was a doctor. Unfamiliar names were David Walters and Boone. And they didn't count all the 15 on screen.
                        Sorry, didn't really recognize him.

There's the "A" players (Rush, Young, Chloe, etc...), The "B" players (Riley? Becker?, Wray so far?) and The "Rest" and I don't recognize all the B players from the Rest yet
                        Last edited by Lightning Ducj; 28 October 2009, 02:03 PM.

Comment

No, humans do not survive 'just fine' in isolated groups like that. "Gilligan's Island" was fantasy after all. We're too adapted too and dependent on our social and technological infrastructure. Some very few can and some can last longer than most, but for the most part, they could land on Hawaii and few would survive anyway. And with the slim chance of Greer, I don't see that any of the characters identified so far would have both the training and/or experience and mental toughness to do it.
                          Okay, first of all, you were arguing they wouldn't survive because of the climate and that they weren't doing them a favor by sending them off; I was responding accordingly.

Secondly. Had the planet been Earth-like, perhaps there would have been people already living there?

Dude. I don't know. Don't particularly care either, to be honest.
                          you're so cute when you're slurring your speech but they're closing the bar and they want us to leave

'What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches.'

"Religion is far more of a choice than homosexuality. And the protections that we have, for religion --we protect religion-- and talk about a lifestyle choice! That is absolutely a choice. Gay people don't choose to be gay. At what age did you choose not to be gay?" (Jon Stewart, The King of Common Sense)

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            That's not true. She honestly thought the crew would be better off if they fixed it to ensure their best odds of survival... and given who went, he may well have despite what he told Rush.
                            After the episode i was unsure as to whether he had fixed it or not but i just couldn't see him leaving eli behind if he had fixed it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                              After the episode i was unsure as to whether he had fixed it or not but i just couldn't see him leaving eli behind if he had fixed it.
                              I meant fixed as in "sending people helpful to survive" as "fixed." Eli would be a detriment to the colony, if anything.
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                              X