The Destiny's shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Destiny's shields

It only struck me today after watching it again, but i believe the Destinys shields are more powerful than any other ship we have seen so far. None of the Tau'ri ships could even approach the sun as we saw in Atlantis when the wraith virus took over the ship, they would have all been doomed because of the radiation.

Doesn't it make you wonder if the ships has such superior shields then what weapons might it have, and why didn't the other ancient ships have such powerful shields?

This also makes me think about power, why did the ancients not power their other ships on this 'solar energy' to me it seems far superior.

What do you all think?
    sigpic

Perhaps the shield only protects from stars since that is how the ship refuels. Just because it can keep out heat and/or radiation doesn't mean it can keep out weapons fire or space debris like asteroids.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlan View Post
      Perhaps the shield only protects from stars since that is how the ship refuels. Just because it can keep out heat and/or radiation doesn't mean it can keep out weapons fire or space debris like asteroids.
      or maybe it could just be absorbin all the soloar stuff going at it
      The battle for the ultimate SG team: who will it be?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by soulgazer View Post
        or maybe it could just be absorbin all the soloar stuff going at it
        True they might not even do well in a battle they might just be designed to absorb all of the radiation to recharge. That would explain all of the damage on the ship if the shields aren't effective against weapons.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post
          It only struck me today after watching it again, but i believe the Destinys shields are more powerful than any other ship we have seen so far. None of the Tau'ri ships could even approach the sun as we saw in Atlantis when the wraith virus took over the ship, they would have all been doomed because of the radiation.

Doesn't it make you wonder if the ships has such superior shields then what weapons might it have, and why didn't the other ancient ships have such powerful shields?

This also makes me think about power, why did the ancients not power their other ships on this 'solar energy' to me it seems far superior.

What do you all think?
          The Daedalus with a ZPM powered shield sat in the path of a solar flare for about 2 minutes and survived (hull damage from heat only). Granted the hull suffered head damage and a solar flare is like a thousand times hotter then the surface or interior of a star, but still. I think a ZPM powered ship _could_ potentially pull it off.

Comment

The destiny was made in the golden years of the ancients.

It has to be good.

Think of it as the expression "They do not build them as they once did.'" —Teal'c

Think of the destiny as the Brooklyn bridge... And the newer crap they made as your local bridge.

Back then, everything was over engineered, to make maximum profit... companies have started over time to make garbage.

Comment

Maybe something failed or was flawed with the solar energy thing.

Comment

OR the shields pull power directly from the sun, once the ship is in there.

Comment

It's because there's no other more interesting method, other than eating the star.

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                    The destiny was made in the golden years of the ancients.

It has to be good.

Think of it as the expression "They do not build them as they once did.'" —Teal'c

Think of the destiny as the Brooklyn bridge... And the newer crap they made as your local bridge.

Back then, everything was over engineered, to make maximum profit... companies have started over time to make garbage.
                    I agree. Probably it was the height of their civilization. Like Ancient Romans f.e.x could make many thinks people later in the Middle Ages could not pull off. Probably the Destiny was made in the peak of their civilization, back when ships were their only way of transportation... Then they created the first gates and ships started to become less needed in everyday life and tech concerning the ships regressed but tech concerning gates progressed
                    - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

It has been stated by Rush that the ship pre-dates the ancient tech we have seen so far so it is not to hard to speculate that the shield tech for the Destiny has been lost or just plain forgotten over time.

There is also the possibility that given the prolific nature of the ancients in going out into the galaxy and setting up colonies and outposts, it is possible that the shield tech for Destiny just never got any further than from its original launch point.
                      Well, let me see - we've got slow death, quick death, painful death, cold, lonely death.

Comment

@latvian_stargatefan & karoush47

Sorry guys but that makes no sense at all. You're effectively saying that Destiny is technologically superior to Atlantis and Aurora class ships, which is obviously untrue.

The "height" of the British Empire was over 100 years ago. So, single-shot Enfield rifle, or an SA80? Nuff said.
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                          @latvian_stargatefan & karoush47

Sorry guys but that makes no sense at all. You're effectively saying that Destiny is technologically superior to Atlantis and Aurora class ships, which is obviously untrue.

The "height" of the British Empire was over 100 years ago. So, single-shot Enfield rifle, or an SA80? Nuff said.
                          Ok, then we can compare Destiny with the Great Pyramids. Sure, nowadays we make more sophisticated buildings from more sophisticated materials but, as seen in the great documentary series "Life After People" only the Great Pyramids would survive another 10 000 years exposed to rain, heat, humidity, winds etc. None of other fancy Earth buildings.

I guess the same could be said about the shield of the Destiny. Sure, Atlantis time people could recreate it but they just didn't think it would be worth to waste such a sum of money (if they had money) to make a shield that would allow them to go through a sun if they didn't need to do that because they had a better and cheaper energy source.

I guess Lantians also had specific science vessels that could do that when they wanted to research the sun. But like modern submarines can't go to the greatest depths of our oceans, their warships couldn't go through the sun because there was simply no need for them to do that and it would cost amazing amount of money. The Destiny shield is still probably much weaker than Atlantis as concerns fighting off enemy ships- it's just so designed that one of its features allow you to go through the sun. Maybe this type of a shiel d was so expensive that making it do that on all the Ancient warships and transport vessels would be a complete waste of money.
                          - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Originally posted by maddmike View Post

What do you all think?
                            Do we know for sure that the shield was up for that time?

Comment

We have seen the Daedalus, albeit in variations come very close to a sun without a ZPM and we have seen the Daedalus with a ZPM take the brunt of a solar flare.

At the very least you could say given the first example that Asgard Shields are strong enough to approach a sun, Given the ancients understaning of technology it would not be suprising if Destiny's shields were developed for going near suns or other cosmic enomolies.

Comment

Working...
                              X