Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For a show that's called 'Stargate'...there isn't much 'Stargate' in it so far.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a show that's called 'Stargate'...there isn't much 'Stargate' in it so far.

Please please don't get me wrong, this is not an official moan or anything like that. I am loving Stargate: Universe as much as anyone and I think last night's episode 'Light' (I'm from the UK by the way and we don't get it 'til tuesday nights...) was very very suspensful and extremly well written.

I have just noticed however that in the last two episodes, 'Darkness' and 'Light', there has been no official Stargate activity in either episode. It was only mentioned a few times in 'Darkness' and in 'Light' I think I only even saw it once, right at the start when Dr. Rush was leaning against it. In fact throughout the first quarter of the series the crew have only been through the thing twice haven't they? One to the Destiny from Icarus at the start then again onto the desert planet at the end of 'Air pt 2'. Ok, three times if you count the team coming back from that place as well.

What does everyone else think about this? I know the situation presented in the episode meant they couldn't use it anyway, it just seems strange that two episodes in a row haven't shown anything going on with the Gate. Please respond and let me know what you think about this as well.
    Check out my Stargate Fan-Fic:
    STARGATE : REGENESIS

I'm okay with everything as is. It's referenced at least, and I'm sure once the story really gets going we'll see it used more regularly. We're only a handful of episodes in and for the storyline to go where ever it's going, the Stargate needs to be out of use for now. I'm fine with that... unless the story gets way dumb. Then I'll be unhappy.

Not all episodes of SG-1 focused on gate travel either though.
    sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

Originally posted by Nova69 View Post
      What does everyone else think about this? I know the situation presented in the episode meant they couldn't use it anyway, it just seems strange that two episodes in a row haven't shown anything going on with the Gate. Please respond and let me know what you think about this as well.
      Well...four weeks of SG-1 episodes could cover weeks or even months of story time. So far SGU in four weeks of viewing has only covered maybe 48 hours. So far they haven't really gotten to a place where another stargate use was possibly or sensible for the story. So right now I'm kinda in a 'wait and see' attitude about a lot of the series to see how things progress
      If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
      Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Ehh, I'm not overly worried. SG-1 and SGA had multiple episodes without Stargate use.

It's really not big deal, to me anyway.
        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
          Ehh, I'm not overly worried. SG-1 and SGA had multiple episodes without Stargate use.

It's really not big deal, to me anyway.
          SGA went most of 5 years without showing the Stargate being used
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

From the pictures I've seen of 'Water' the stargate will be in use in this episode, perhaps now that Destiny has power again they can dial stargates further away than we saw in 'Air part 3.' We know Destiny can dial Earth, so it should also be able to dial any other stargate it wants.
            Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
              SGA went most of 5 years without showing the Stargate being used
              Even in those episode of SG-1 and Atlantis they would show another team from time to time going through/coming back but like Lightning Ducj sais the story so far has only covered three days maybe. I just noticed that when Rush said "Greer & Scott, yesterdays heroes." So yeah maybe it's not that big a deal for now. Like I said in my thread-starter I wasn't complaining just pointing it out. Hopefully now the Destiny is fully powered up we might get to see a few trips through in future episodes.

...and Wayston I will fully admit your idea never crossed my mind but now I'm thinking hmm, maybe I would like to see that too! Haha!!!
              Check out my Stargate Fan-Fic:
              STARGATE : REGENESIS

Comment

Originally posted by Nova69 View Post
                Even in those episode of SG-1 and Atlantis they would show another team from time to time going through/coming back but like Lightning Ducj sais the story so far has only covered three days maybe. I just noticed that when Rush said "Greer & Scott, yesterdays heroes." So yeah maybe it's not that big a deal for now. Like I said in my thread-starter I wasn't complaining just pointing it out. Hopefully now the Destiny is fully powered up we might get to see a few trips through in future episodes.

...and Wayston I will fully admit your idea never crossed my mind but now I'm thinking hmm, maybe I would like to see that too! Haha!!!
                I was teasing, I know that
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

List of episodes in SG1 and SGA were they didn't use the gate

SG1:
                  Spoiler:

Point of View
                  Politics (clip show)
                  Tangent
                  The Curse
                  Desperate Measures
                  Wormhole X-Treme!
                  Proving Ground
                  Descent
                  Nightwalkers
                  Prometheus
                  Unnatural Selection
                  Smoke & Mirrors
                  Disclosure (clip show)
                  Fragile Balance
                  Chimera
                  Resurrection
                  Inauguration (clip show)
                  Affinity
                  Prometheus Unbound
                  Citizen Joe (clip show)
                  Ex Deus Machina
                  Crusade
                  Memento Mori
                  The Road Not Taken
                  Bounty

SGA:
                  Spoiler:
                  The Defiant One
                  Hot Zone
                  The Gift
                  The Siege, Part 3
                  The Intruder
                  Aurora
                  Critical Mass
                  Grace Under Pressure
                  Allies, Part 1
                  The Real World (Unless you count Weir's fantasy world)
                  McKay and Mrs. Miller
                  Echoes
                  Tao of Rodney
                  Sunday
                  Submersion
                  Tabula Rasa
                  Quarantine
                  The Seed
                  The Daedalus Variations
                  The Lost Tribe
                  Infection
                  Vegas

If the gate has been used off-screen in an episode it is not on the list.

Do notice how the non-gate episodes increase as the shows gets older?
                  Last edited by EvilSpaceAlien; 28 October 2009, 03:44 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Off-screen gate use was more what I was poking fun at

In any case, I'm pretty excited for this week's SGU. I'm hoping for more gate travelling too.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                      List of episodes in SG1 and SGA were they didn't use the gate

SG1:
                      Spoiler:
                      The Enemy Within
                      Point of View
                      Politics (clip show)
                      Tangent
                      The Curse
                      Desperate Measures
                      Wormhole X-Treme!
                      Proving Ground
                      Descent
                      Frozen
                      Nightwalkers
                      Prometheus
                      Unnatural Selection
                      Smoke & Mirrors
                      Disclosure (clip show)
                      Fragile Balance
                      Grace
                      Chimera
                      Resurrection
                      Inauguration (clip show)
                      Affinity
                      Prometheus Unbound
                      Citizen Joe (clip show)
                      Ex Deus Machina
                      Crusade
                      Insiders
                      Memento Mori
                      The Road Not Taken
                      Bounty

SGA:
                      Spoiler:
                      The Defiant One
                      Hot Zone
                      The Gift
                      The Siege, Part 3
                      The Intruder
                      Aurora
                      Critical Mass
                      Grace Under Pressure
                      Allies, Part 1
                      The Real World (Unless you count Weir's fantasy world)
                      McKay and Mrs. Miller
                      Echoes
                      Tao of Rodney
                      Sunday
                      Submersion
                      Tabula Rasa
                      Quarantine
                      The Seed
                      The Daedalus Variations
                      The Lost Tribe
                      Infection
                      Vegas

If the gate has been used off-screen in an episode it is not on the list.

Do notice how the non-gate episodes increase as the shows gets older?
                      I agree with the statement about the newer episodes having less gate travel, but you can't count not seeing the stargate as not having the stargate in it.

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
                        I agree with the statement about the newer episodes having less gate travel, but you can't count not seeing the stargate as not having the stargate in it.
                        Yes. It's only the epsiodes were there's no stargate use at all that are on the list. Episode were the gate is used, but not seen are not included in the list.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                          Yes. It's only the epsiodes were there's no stargate use at all that are on the list. Episode were the gate is used, but not seen are not included in the list.
                          But you have several episodes where the stargate is not seen but used on the list i.e. 'Bounty', 'Descent' and 'Tao of Rodney' and others that I think did have the stargate being used.

Also 'Sunday' and 'The Siege Part 3' did have the stargate being used in the episode.

Comment

I hope they start using it very soon, cause Stargate without a Stargate "character/prop" being used on a regular basis is just plain stupid,

I mean why call it Stargate SGU then? Just call it it "BattleStar Universe" or is the name Stargate to scoop up SG1/SGA fans?

SGA IMO was not as good as SG1 because of the lack of Gate use, the only reason I watched SGA is because of McKay, if they had killed him off I would have stopped.
                            General Jack O'Neill, still HOTTer than ever!

Comment

Fear not, there'll be Stargate activity in Water.

Comment

Working...
                              X