This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGU, Space: 1999, and you.

All this talk of 'OMGZ!!!1 SGU IZ RIPPING OFF BSG!!! LOLZ' got me thinking...

True, SGU does borrow some distinct elements from the newest TV incarnation of Battlestar Galactica. But it borrows just as much, if not more, from the original 'thinking mans' sci-fi show, Space: 1999. Just as you can draw parallels from most of the BSG characters to SGU's major players, so can you with Space: 1999. Commander Koenig becomes Col. Young, TJ becomes Dr. Russel (right down to the implied relationship with the commander), Dr. Bergman becomes Dr. Rush (except more insane), Tony Verdeschi becomes Lt. Scott, Alan Carter becomes Sgt. Greer, Paul Morrow becomes Riley...

But even more than the character comaparisons is the overall plot description:

Space: 1999 - on September 13, 1999, a nuclear explosion on Moonbase Alpha hurls the moon out of Earth's orbit through the Galaxy. The survivors struggle to survive in an unfamiliar and unfriendly universe as they attempt to keep what little supplies they have from running out, and fending off the many other life forms in the galaxy that don't take kindly to visitors.

Stargate: Universe - an attack on Icarus Base forces a ragtag group of survivors through an Ancient portal known as a Stargate onto an immense starship that has been traveling through the universe for 'hundreds of thousands' of years. The group must then cope with failing systems onboard the ship, lack of adequate supplies, and their own personal demons as they travel to unknown parts of the Universe.
    "All I wanna do is see the universe and eat pie"
    "Who doesn't?"

Originally posted by mr. Domino View Post
    the original 'thinking mans' sci-fi show
    Originally posted by mr. Domino View Post
    a nuclear explosion on moonbase alpha hurls the moon out of earth's orbit through the galaxy.
    lulz

Comment

Interesting point, but you can made lots of comparisons and parallels to many other shows.

Lost In Space
      land of the Giants
      Voyager
      BSG
      Even Lost to an extent, there are no new ideas, it just depends how they do it.

Comment

And as we established earlier today, BSG is ripping itself off so the point is paradoxical and moot anyway.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          And as we established earlier today, BSG is ripping itself off so the point is paradoxical and moot anyway.
          Yeah, I think that by proving that, we've actually put the universe in self-destruct mode. The very fabric of existence is being torn apart.

Comment

Oooh, don't get me going on Space 1999, hardly IMO a thinking man's show.

Last edited by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper; 27 October 2009, 09:13 PM.
            My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Who wants pie?
              A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                Oooh, don't get me going on Space 1999, hardly a thinking man's show.

how could it not be, mr spock is in it!!!!!!

yes its shopped.
                sigpic
                EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                  yes its shopped.
                  I can tell by the pixels
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                  Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                  Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                  Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                  Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                    how could it not be, mr spock is in it!!!!!!
                    I think you're confusing spock with schlock.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Originally posted by Professor D.H.D. Puddlejumper View Post
                      I think you're confusing spock with schlock.

"Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Working...
                      X