No announcement yet.

What good is the shutle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me or is the shuttle quite primitive? It uses engines that seem to be combustion fueled and the maneuvering thrusters seem as if they would be more at home on a NASA shuttle and not an Ancient shuttle.
    Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

undoubtedly the ancients prefer travelling by shuttle rather than on foot whenever possible... also remember the trouble the team had in Air with exploring the desert planet... ancients using a shuttle would be able to traverse those tiny walked distances in mere seconds
      I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
        undoubtedly the ancients prefer travelling by shuttle rather than on foot whenever possible... also remember the trouble the team had in Air with exploring the desert planet... ancients using a shuttle would be able to traverse those tiny walked distances in mere seconds
        That is probably why they invented the puddle jumpers later in their civilisation, we know a jumper can fly around a planet quite quickly.
        Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?

Comment

Originally posted by Automission View Post
          Ahh I didn't know there were two, I must of missed that when it was raised during the show. I suppose it could of been used if the auto pilot was turned off, though I still can't see what practical use it would have.

The second one is
          Spoiler:
          the one the senator died on trying to close the door.

I agree with someone else who mentioned the 'station wagon' analogy. If they have supplies they need to get froma planet but it's too far from the gate and too big to carry, the shuttle would be good to get the supplies back to Destiny.
          No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Rush mentioned in an earlier episode about there being other such ships that have been on auto pilot, in future episodes maybe they will find another one of these ships and try and board it for supplies (life support).
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by malfunction View Post
              Is it just me or is the shuttle quite primitive? It uses engines that seem to be combustion fueled and the maneuvering thrusters seem as if they would be more at home on a NASA shuttle and not an Ancient shuttle.
              A more fitting term would be that the shuttle is simply more realistic than the Jumpers. By about an order of magnitude. That's what this show is going for.

Of course, by actually behaving like a real space craft and requiring maneuvring thusters, it naturally looks less advanced than previous craft which were just zipping around with magic.

Comment

quite frankly, I am pretty thrilled so far with the technology on destiny. It is all fairly realistic.

we have a realistic shuttle, realistic life support, an interesting, easy to explain (to a laymen) power supply system ( solar powered, not mysterious " zero point" energy), and not a crystal in sight!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                  and not a crystal in sight!
                  I think I disagree with that bit (Inside spoilers)
                  Spoiler:
                  When (Volker?) is trying to close the outer hatch to the leaky shuttle, it looks like he's using a crystal interface in the wall to try to shut the door.

And I agree with the station wagon thing, and also for checking out asteroids and the like.
                  sigpic

Comment

shuttle is just ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                      shuttle is just ugly.
                      Aesthetics aren't important when you're thousands of galaxies away from anyone that would share the same tastes as you.

Comment

I agree with the earlier comments on the shuttle looking realistic. I'm glad to see them adding the RCS jets firing to show a change in attitude. An earlier comment mentioned there being two shuttles on the Destiny, however, I think there might have originally been at least three shuttles on the ship. During the episode "Light" in the shots of the docking clamps being released, you can see a dashed oval landing target painted on the hull below the ship. When you go back to the episode "Air Pt. 3" in the closing scene -- when the camera pulls back and we see the alien ship fly off, you can see another of these oval landing targets painted on the hull -- but no shuttle? Does this mean a shuttle is missing, maybe we'll find out with time.

So far we've seen obviously the stargate and shuttle to leave the Destiny, however in situations if the ship is in orbit around a planet, will the ship have the ring transporter to beam down crewmembers to the planet?

Comment

Originally posted by koroush47 View Post
                          shuttle is just ugly.
                          When they built Destiny rust was very fashionable. Some of their earlier ships look like disco balls.

Comment

Working...
                          X