Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why didn't they use the stones in Light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't they use the stones in Light?

One strange aspect of Light is that they didn't use the stones for the dying crew to say one last goodbye to their family (phone calls, letters, etc). Sure the Kino are fun for properity if you want to leave something behind to all the desert and lava planets out there. But what about using the stones to say one last goodbye to the family before dying? Strange that nobody even suggested it as their death was seemingly impeding.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

i dnt think there was enough time, it all seemed to happen pretty quickly and there were a lot of people onboard not to mention the confidentiality issues of everyone saying goodbye to people

Comment

they had a sex scene and "cool cgi" to fill the time......the LRC is becoming a convenient crutch for the stories....next week chloe will go visit her mom to talk about her and scott......:

Comment

Maybe they had a hard time finding volunteers on the Earth side.
        sigpic
        FOX Network

Comment

The stones were destroyed in 'Darkness' when the airlock to Earth was opened.

Comment

I think the answer to that question is entirely due to the structure of the script. Taking the viewer away from the Destiny would have cut the tension and drama immensely.

Scriptwriting 101 is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
              One strange aspect of Light is that they didn't use the stones for the dying crew to say one last goodbye to their family (phone calls, letters, etc). Sure the Kino are fun for properity if you want to leave something behind to all the desert and lava planets out there. But what about using the stones to say one last goodbye to the family before dying? Strange that nobody even suggested it as their death was seemingly impeding.
              It would have taken hours for everyone to get to use the stones to say their good byes. Given, that, if everyone can't use them, then no one should.

Furthermore, getting a phone call from someone claiming to be your wife/husband/son/daughter/brother/sister/etc in someone elses body tring to say good bye would have been a disaster
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Im glad the stones were not used in this episode, seeing them too often can ruin the idea of using them. Some people even think they have already been used too much!

Comment

were there is a episode called earth
                  Spoiler:
                  in it all crew members can get there change to talk to there loved ones

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    Im glad the stones were not used in this episode, seeing them too often can ruin the idea of using them. Some people even think they have already been used too much!
                    You, or us, not liking the stones doesn't have anything to do with it. For the Destiny crew the stones are a great opportunity to keep a link with earth, among other things, and they must love them. Obviously those quick goodbye messages could have been done mostly off screen.
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Well, I'll add my two cents to this thread by submitting part of my review here:

Eli had a flashback (sleeping in his room, with his mother coming in) with matching fall-back into reality (trying to sleep).

The reason I am mentioning this particular element of the episode is that I wanted to point how they had character development without using the Ancient Long Ranges Communication Stones. By the use of a simple, well-fitted, flashback they showed us why the show absolutely doesn’t need these stones, not until now (for character development). According to me, another factor that came into play, as to make this a good episode, is that they did not use the communication stones in this episode. They did not have the break, a drop, in the storyline by someone using the stones. I must point out that if the stones did not exist this would have been the perfect way to tell this story and there would have been nothing inconsistent about this episode.

However, now, considering that these stones are there, why did they not use them? If only it was to say goodbye to friends and family? They are making Kino-video messages, but they would not, could not, did not want to, relay messages back to Earth through the stones? Where were the stones? Although I want them gone, I do have to wonder? This was a serious lack of decent writing and consistency. Everyone on board of the ship should want to use the stones now, no? They know they are going to die. Isn’t this the moment where, as Young said to O’Neill, people would want to use the stones? Seriously, again, “What were TPTB thinking when they decided to use the stones in this series?” This, for me, has gone way too long without a proper explanation. The stones create a vast number of story- and plot-problems while giving the story very few benefits.

So we had the Eli-flashback, after which Eli came up with the idea to make the Kino-videos. Nobody thought or even mentioned the stones.
                      A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

We can't expect them to use the stones every episode, it would become very annoying, personally i don't think the stones bring a great deal to the overall plot development of the show, at least not so far. Maybe they will prove me wrong but i hope that they won't continually use the stones in each episode.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah I agree. They shouldn't use the stones in each episode. They shouldn't use them at all anymore. They don't really bring anything to the plot. I agree.
                          A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                            We can't expect them to use the stones every episode, it would become very annoying,
                            Again the stones could have been used mostly off screen. Just one scene with crew members lining up to use the stones would have been enough and more realistic. Its a plothole.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post
                              Yeah I agree. They shouldn't use the stones in each episode. They shouldn't use them at all anymore. They don't really bring anything to the plot. I agree.
                              If only they could get dropped into a vast water tank in the next episode and never recovered but somehow i think not.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X