Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
  1. #1
    Probie
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    OK, I asume Destiny has an agenda to accomplish -a neverending agenda, it seems to be. It stops for nothnig. You can be away, it'll leave. But, having only 2 shuttles, detecting that one of them is trying to catch up, and being intelligent enough -or having been programmed to detect and fly to a star for re-fueling-, can't it wait for the shuttle? Come on, it has no sense.

    Another strange point -I won't say plot hole, I hope there's an explanation- is that you have to manually land the shuttle -and remember, against "Destiny's will"- when you have the technology to fly through many galaxies detecting and dialing stargate. Can it have an autopilot for avoiding collisions? Ancients should know Destiny would be difficult to fix if broken...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    I quite like the way it has been handled because, in reality, machines are phenomenally stupid. Like the shuttle's flight computer; it couldn't find an intercept solution because it was trying to fly straight to the Destiny. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, just that a computer won't take factors like potential-speed-boost-from-slingshot into account.

    Likewise with the Destiny; there's no need to have programmed the autopilot to check if the shuttle is nearby because it was intended to be flown by Ancients. Ancients who would have been able to tell the Destiny to stop heading for interstellar space whilst they get back on board... They could have programmed it to do all that itself, but they never thought there'd be a situation where it would actually be necessary (just like SGA "Before I Sleep"; Atlantis was originally not programmed to surface if the shield failed because, if there were Ancients around who needed to not drown, they'd tell the city to surface themselves)

    I think JM himself has stated that the Destiny has no AI, which makes sense; firstly because on the other hand an AI certainly should have slowed the Destiny to allow the shuttle to catch up, and secondly because an AI would be very un-Ancienty: a subservient consciousness, sent to roam the universe alone awaiting fellow explorers who never came? Seems more like something out the Ori playbook tbh.

  3. #3
    Lieutenant Colonel MattSilver 3k's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Space. I'm in space.
    Posts
    4,202

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Duke Flipside View Post
    I quite like the way it has been handled because, in reality, machines are phenomenally stupid. Like the shuttle's flight computer; it couldn't find an intercept solution because it was trying to fly straight to the Destiny. That doesn't mean there wasn't one, just that a computer won't take factors like potential-speed-boost-from-slingshot into account.

    Likewise with the Destiny; there's no need to have programmed the autopilot to check if the shuttle is nearby because it was intended to be flown by Ancients. Ancients who would have been able to tell the Destiny to stop heading for interstellar space whilst they get back on board... They could have programmed it to do all that itself, but they never thought there'd be a situation where it would actually be necessary (just like SGA "Before I Sleep"; Atlantis was originally not programmed to surface if the shield failed because, if there were Ancients around who needed to not drown, they'd tell the city to surface themselves)

    I think JM himself has stated that the Destiny has no AI, which makes sense; firstly because on the other hand an AI certainly should have slowed the Destiny to allow the shuttle to catch up, and secondly because an AI would be very un-Ancienty: a subservient consciousness, sent to roam the universe alone awaiting fellow explorers who never came? Seems more like something out the Ori playbook tbh.
    Exactly. Computers are phenomenally stupid somet-
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

    ~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

  4. #4
    Major Saquist's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Starbase Houston
    Posts
    2,833

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Doesn't mean there shouldn't be a set of protocols. It knows enough to activate lights and forcefields for life, and to lock out stargate addresses to avoid exposing people to dangers.

  5. #5
    Colonel Replicator Todd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The United States of Evil
    Posts
    6,874

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    The Destiny saw a candy bar it wanted really bad so it didn't have time to stop, only an Ancient ship has the power to do that!

  6. #6
    Major General Cold Fuzz's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    12,206

    Wink Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Replicator Todd View Post
    The Destiny saw a candy bar it wanted really bad so it didn't have time to stop, only an Ancient ship has the power to do that!
    It must have had some seriously delicious dark chocolate and peanut butter in that candy bar.


  7. #7
    Captain Avenger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Berkeley, Ca
    Posts
    1,935

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    If the shuttle was never intended to launch while the ship was in an automated mode, maybe there is no protocol to tell the ship that a shuttle launched. Maybe, due to damage, the ship signal wasn't sent to the computer. Keep in mind though, the ship is doing it's own thing. It wouldn't have stopped for the life support if Rush hadn't told the ship that the the life support was broken. Perhaps the ship needed to be told that the shuttle was launched .
    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

  8. #8
    Lieutenant Colonel reddevil18's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Location
    46°55'52"N 26°21'40"E, Earth
    Posts
    3,915

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    The Destiny needs one of these, as a liaison between the humans and the ship:

  9. #9
    First Lieutenant Encoder's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by faregran View Post
    OK, I asume Destiny has an agenda to accomplish -a neverending agenda, it seems to be. It stops for nothnig. You can be away, it'll leave. But, having only 2 shuttles, detecting that one of them is trying to catch up, and being intelligent enough -or having been programmed to detect and fly to a star for re-fueling-, can't it wait for the shuttle? Come on, it has no sense.
    It's likely that Destiny may not have the capacity to alter it's default programming until the controls are unlocked. AI does have it's limitations and considering it's primary mission, Destiny may simply have considered the loss of the shuttle as an acceptible loss?!

    Neera: "You do not fear them?"
    : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

  10. #10
    Captain Steelbox's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Four possible explanations:
    1. Well it could be that the shuttle also wasn't with its full power since it took of before the destiny recharged its batteries.
    2. And/or some malfunction happened and the destiny did not count for the missing shuttle and accelerated
    3. And/or didn't knew the shuttle was whit low power and could not keep up
    4. And/or Scott didn't knew how to operate it at 100% efficiency

  11. #11
    Studio Janitor
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    The shuttle does have an afterburner button.

    And an "auto dock" button.

    No one labelled them....

  12. #12
    Major Saquist's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Starbase Houston
    Posts
    2,833

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by reddevil18 View Post
    The Destiny needs one of these, as a liaison between the humans and the ship:

    I could use one of those, sir.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Air, Part 3 - Destiny waits for away team because Eli stuck his arm into the Stargate's event horizon.

    Light - Destiny detects shuttle with 17 people on board attempting to make its way back, and yet it doesn't stop/slow down.

    Are 17 lives + a shuttle less worthy than Mr. Wallace's arm?

  14. #14
    Captain Mongoletsi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Ghetto, Manchester
    Posts
    1,489

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by sblade View Post
    Air, Part 3 - Destiny waits for away team because Eli stuck his arm into the Stargate's event horizon.

    Light - Destiny detects shuttle with 17 people on board attempting to make its way back, and yet it doesn't stop/slow down.

    Are 17 lives + a shuttle less worthy than Mr. Wallace's arm?
    Destiny didn't wait for the away team. Destiny waited for the gate to close before it jumped to FTL.
    Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...





  15. #15

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoletsi View Post
    Destiny didn't wait for the away team. Destiny waited for the gate to close before it jumped to FTL.
    And why was that?

  16. #16
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Because Eli had his arm in the event horizon. Gate protocols prevent it shuting down, so it had to wait.

  17. #17
    Airman Sim's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    42

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    They had to give Eli SOMETHING to do to make himself useful.. Thus far all he's accomplished are... kinos... which anyone could have done really..

    Plus you forget they have to obey the ticking clock for suspense. If they didn't have this PiS moment the writers couldn't use the ticking clock .
    " Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. "
    - Douglas Noel Adams ( 1952 - 2001 ), So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish

  18. #18

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    AI is essentially an intelligent program that responds to unpredictable situations and forms a common sense or higher grade response. We haven't actually seen Destiny make any intelligent decisions yet.

    1) Turning on life support when the gate activated, simple script, no different really than motion sensing lights.

    2) Stop in range of a planet, especially if Rush told it what was needed. That's basically a database search, simple.

    3) Not leaving when the gate is active is also probably programmed as a safety feature as that would destabilize the wormhole and maybe kill the travelers.

    4) Running out of power, easy, script, shut down non essential functions, if humans aboard, life support=essential function. Then a script for finding a way to recharge, meaning, in Destiny's case, find an appropriate star.

    No intelligence yet that I can see. I agree a script could have handled the shuttle issue, but would have been slightly more complex. Well, it was necessary for dramatic effect for it to be a close call.

  19. #19
    Lieutenant Colonel Eternal Density's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Messing with Repoman
    Posts
    4,185

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Agreed, plus it seemed to me that it was trying but failing to do something while Eli was holding the gate open.
    [edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
    I could use one of those, sir.
    I'll take a dozen!
    For that comment, I've decided to remove you from my ignore list.
    Last edited by Eternal Density; October 26th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

  20. #20
    First Lieutenant GateroomGuard's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Destiny Gateroom
    Posts
    772

    Default Re: Can't wait for the Shuttle?

    Maybe it doesn't have an AI... but what about a VI ala Mass Effect?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Size of the Shuttle
    By jsonitsac in forum Light
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: October 24th, 2009, 08:18 PM
  2. Um the shuttle from Air 3?
    By sjleader in forum Darkness
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
  3. SGU's shuttle
    By Edi in forum Stargate Universe
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: August 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
  4. Who wants to by a Space Shuttle?
    By ~Dave in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: December 19th, 2008, 04:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •