Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are there still religious Characters in Stargate?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are there still religious Characters in Stargate?

I recently thought about this, after I noticed some strong Christian elements in SGU. You'd think a character aware of what is going on the the universe would lose their faith in religion very quickly:

1. In SG-1 it was demonstrated that a lot of Mythology was influenced by Extraterrestrials of one kind or another. Obviously the writers strayed away from involving any mainstream religions. But it wouldn't be hard to figure out that miracles performed by various prophets could actually be ET's with advanced tech.

2. What would Christian characters think about alien races? If Jesus was only on earth, what will happen to the billions of other humanoid races out there? How would they be saved?

3. In Stargate, the human race came from the ancients, not a higher power.

People's faith don't have to be based on if the stories in the Bible are true or not. It's a way of living.

Comment

Originally posted by dmacfour View Post
      I recently thought about this, after I noticed some strong Christian elements in SGU. You'd think a character aware of what is going on the the universe would lose their faith in religion very quickly:

1. In SG-1 it was demonstrated that a lot of Mythology was influenced by Extraterrestrials of one kind or another. Obviously the writers strayed away from involving any mainstream religions. But it wouldn't be hard to figure out that miracles performed by various prophets could actually be ET's with advanced tech.

2. What would Christian characters think about alien races? If Jesus was only on earth, what will happen to the billions of other humanoid races out there? How would they be saved?

3. In Stargate, the human race came from the ancients, not a higher power.
      The problem is that most of the planet does not know the existance of the Stargate or Aliens, so the religious Status Quo remains for the world population.

Comment

Oh god this type of discussion leads to no good. But in answer to your question, why should Christians or any other religious people stop believing in God. What happened in previous stargate series is that aliens where seen to misuse religion, as many humans in earth’s history have, that doesn’t preclude the existence of God. I know that if the Stargate program was real my faith wouldn’t be challenged, I see no evidence their isn’t a God and in the end religious belief is about faith. Further, simply that we are an offshoot of the ancients would have little bearing on many. At least in the UK it’s accepted that humans evolved by most Christians, not that God stuck Adam and Eve down one day. How an extra bit to our evolution would challenge anyone who already believed in it is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          Oh god this type of discussion leads to no good. But in answer to your question, why should Christians or any other religious people stop believing in God. What happened in previous stargate series is that aliens where seen to misuse religion, as many humans in earth’s history have, that doesn’t preclude the existence of God. I know that if the Stargate program was real my faith wouldn’t be challenged, I see no evidence their isn’t a God and in the end religious belief is about faith. Further, simply that we are an offshoot of the ancients would have little bearing on many. At least in the UK it’s accepted that humans evolved by most Christians, not that God stuck Adam and Eve down one day. How an extra bit to our evolution would challenge anyone who already believed in it is beyond me.
          Good post.

And also it is clear from SG that there are many different paths to 'enlightenment' look at the difference between the ORi and the Ancients. Christianity is one path regarding ones eventual enlightenment, there is a lot of good in that realigion that would probably lead one to 'ascension' and even if no then they are still entitled to their obvious beliefs.

Comment

Originally posted by OutandAboot View Post
            People's faith don't have to be based on if the stories in the Bible are true or not. It's a way of living.
            Hmmmm that's interesting. But doesn't that just reduce it to a philosophy? After all, may different religions base key aspects of their faith on stories.

It kind of challenges the idea that humans were created by god. Many Christians I know are appalled by the idea of humans coming into being through evolution.

Comment

Hmmmm that's interesting. But doesn't that just reduce it to a philosophy? After all, may different religions base key aspects of their faith on stories.
              Your point being? Many key parts of the Bible are parables, stories designed to teach a lesson.

Comment

It kind of challenges the idea that humans were created by god.
                No it does not.
                If there is a God that created the universe, the Ancients, the Ori, and then the Ancients let us be created...I do not think we were created by them...then in the end God still made us, just in the Ancient's image

Comment

Your point being? Many key parts of the Bible are parables, stories designed to teach a lesson.
                  Well let's say Jesus sacrificing himself didn't actually happen. That is a key concept on Christianity that is needed. If it was false or a parable, Christianity would basically be a philosophy.

No it does not.
                  If there is a God that created the universe, the Ancients, the Ori, and then the Ancients let us be created...I do not think we were created by them...then in the end God still made us, just in the Ancient's image
                  Good point. Though that makes Earth religions useless; Everyone in Stargate would be Deist instead.

Comment

It kind of challenges the idea that humans were created by god. Many Christians I know are appalled by the idea of humans coming into being through evolution.
                    No it really doesn’t, if God is responsible for the creation of the Universe, and by extension the process of the universe including evolution then in a round about way God was responsible for creating humans. This is accepted doctrine, I mean the bloody Catholic church believes in Evolution.

Comment

Well let's say Jesus sacrificing himself didn't actually happen. That is a key concept on Christianity that is needed. If it was false or a parable, Christianity would basically be a philosophy.
                      Seeing as how there are historical records that Jesus existed and was put to death then there’s no question he existed. The ambiguity and the faith are whether he was divine or just some schmuck who was claiming to be the messiah and got crucified by a bunch of pissed off priests.

Comment

Seeing as how there are historical records that Jesus existed and was put to death then there’s no question he existed. The ambiguity and the faith are whether he was divine or just some schmuck who was claiming to be the messiah and got crucified by a bunch of pissed off priests.
                        I agree with you on that point.

Comment

I agree with you on that point.
                          That religion is ambiguous and up to personal belief. That’s pretty much common sense and I believe you have the simple answer as to why there are religious people in Stargate.

Comment

A very good post.

Even greenworthy, methinks.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvilSpaceAlien View Post
                              A very good post.

Even greenworthy, methinks.
                              Yay for Green . Also look we have managed a polite conversation on religion

Comment

Working...
                              X