These are the wrong people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mythophile View Post
    Young is engaging in self-sabotage. He is creating his own future failure, and if he keeps it up, eventually no one will listen to him, even if he's right.
    Maybe next time Wray will bring a tape or hidden video recorder to sabotage Young leadership and have Young rant about the people on the ship. Then show it to everybody at the mess hall.

Wray visiting Young at his desk:"I think you should do more with what we have here. You're not doing a fine job directing those people"

Young:"What!?!?! WHAT?!!!. *I* am not doing my job. I'm stuck here with a bunch of incompetent *******s. Scientists dont know nothing and couldn't divide a way to make chocolate milk even if I gave them a bottle Milk and some Quick chocolate powder. All soldiers are undisciplined and couldn't guard an empty room. Their only formation they must have been watching GI JOE during the Saturday cartoons. Civilians are nothing but a strain on our resources. Can't wait to put them into some blender to make us extra meat. Needed I remind you that those are the wrong people at the wrong place. I could muster more out of a bus of high school kids than out of those bunch of idiots!!!"
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Well this may be one of the problems that this crew is having, cause if the leader doesn't have faith in the people then who will?
      Maybe this is also more or less meant for us as a hint, that really it is his attitude that needs a kick in the pants.

Comment

We should keep a running tally of the times this is used. We're probably up near 8 at this point if I were to guess. Anyone want to do it?

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

By the end of season 1 we will be up to our necks in this phrase...honestly for crying out loud they are the right people!!
          Tst

Comment

Originally posted by AVFan View Post
            We should keep a running tally of the times this is used. We're probably up near 8 at this point if I were to guess. Anyone want to do it?
            Twice. Once in Air Part Three, to Jack, in private, and once in Light, to Camille, in private. Unless you want to count all the times it's been said in ads, and then I think the number is closer to forty-two thousand.

I find it rather telling that both times it's been said, it's been said privately. Yeah, he's got his doubts about these people, but he's not airing them to the crew at large. On the whole, he's keeping his doubts to himself. Actually speaking to the crew, he's been very to-the-point, very direct, and, when the situation allows for it, even optimistic ("Let's have a better day than yesterday"). So he strikes me as a guy who really doesn't believe in these people yet - and why would he? They're all untried under these circumstances and many, if not most, are civilians - but is making a point of not broadcasting that to everyone.

I have no problem with him starting out doubtful of the people under his command. I actually think that's an awesome and unique character beat for a commanding officer on a scifi show, and completely believable under the circumstances. And how can we have character growth, after all, if there's no growing that needs to be done?

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
              By the end of season 1 we will be up to our necks in this phrase...honestly for crying out loud they are the right people!!
              Hmm... where have I heard that before? On SG1 perhaps? Indeed.

Oh wait... I've heard that somewhere before too. Interesting.

In fact, I've heard them both about a bajillion times. Very, very interesting.

But anyway, I find sometimes that when I retell a story or express myself about the same topic to different people at different times I find myself repeating phrases. Could this not be the same thing? Two different people, two different times, but the same sentiment. We just happened to be audience to it, while we're not audience to it in real life every time someone is telling a story they've already told us to someone else.
              Last edited by M2W; 31 October 2009, 05:01 PM.
              sigpic

See ya at the con, baby! (L.A. '11) (L.A. '10) (L.A. '09) (Burbank '08) (Burbank '07)

Comment

I don't buy the line. Yes there are undoubtedly civilians and some Icarus base personnel who were never meant to become expedition members. But they are all still Stargate personnel. They had to be cleared for sensitive information. They had to be the best of the best and even more exclusive when selected for the Icarus project. What's even more baffling to me is the behaviour of the military personnel who have next to no discipline at all. Young at the moment is paranoid (unless he proves that Rush is a subversive) and has no control, Scott is not bad considering he is wet behind the ears, Greer is 'the wrong stuff' and I can't imagine why he was let within a million miles of the Stargate program, TJ is the only one maintaining a sense of professionalism and the rest of the military personnel are demonstrably involved in subversive activities. The group act as though they are survivors of an long haul plane crash on an island - sound familiar? Unfortunately that completely ignores the exclusivity of Stargate civilian and military personnel.

Comment

Working...
                X