A Way home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMForeman View Post
    Hey, man... they all can fit in that there box. All at once.
    yes it is much bigger on the inside
    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

I saw a video on youtube from the next episode ("water") where Rush is talking about what happened when they dipped into the star. This clip is a preview clip and I'm not sure if it's been brought up in this thread already but here's the gist of what he says.

Spoiler:
      Only about 40% of the reserves have been replenished. Furthermore he states that it might not even be possible to dial earth due to the ridiculous distance and power requirements. And (not in the clip) it wouldn't matter if they dialed when they were in the star. At the rate they gained power back it just wouldn't be feasible to dial. It's like I might have a 20 Mb/sec internet connection but be using an 8 Mb/sec cable. No matter how much internet speed I have I can only use so much.
      Here's a link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavOFqpWwgk
      I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of jello.

Comment

I don't think the "wormhole through a sun" thing is too relevant to the Destiny. The ship is thousands of galaxies away from earth. considering how many stars are in each galaxy, and the narrow path that would need to be taken to get from Destiny to earth, it would be a huge oversight.

If the destiny is actually designed to dial back to earth, I'm sure it would have ways to get past the sun and blackhole issues, if they were known at the time. Obviously the sun issue was known by the time the Milky Way gates were produced, since the DHD is designed to avoid the situation.

I think solar flares might still be a possibility since they should be pretty rare, and there's no evidence that the ancients knew about that possibility. Of course going off of how many solar flares were shown in continuum just for one galaxy, it again seems impossible that a connection could be made to earth without passing through one.

Comment

Originally posted by captain Qball View Post
          I don't think the "wormhole through a sun" thing is too relevant to the Destiny. The ship is thousands of galaxies away from earth. considering how many stars are in each galaxy, and the narrow path that would need to be taken to get from Destiny to earth, it would be a huge oversight.

If the destiny is actually designed to dial back to earth, I'm sure it would have ways to get past the sun and blackhole issues, if they were known at the time. Obviously the sun issue was known by the time the Milky Way gates were produced, since the DHD is designed to avoid the situation.

I think solar flares might still be a possibility since they should be pretty rare, and there's no evidence that the ancients knew about that possibility. Of course going off of how many solar flares were shown in continuum just for one galaxy, it again seems impossible that a connection could be made to earth without passing through one.
          The Destiny gate is the prototype gate, the only arguments i can think for about going thru stars and the like not mattering is that the prototype doesn't have all the failsafes installed that later gates did.

Although let's not forget, the ancients are travelling to an unexplored and potentially empty part of the universe, they may not give a crap if they detonate a star or two in their travels because the chances of it being populated is statistically insignificant. The only reason Pegasus, MW and Altera were flush with life was because it was seeded.

In fact, the only galaxy we've ever known of with life developing on it's own was Ida, and that was just one species, the Asgard.

Power is the issue, as seen in Water, adn we need not forget the ridiculous amounts of power required to dial between Pegasus and MW, the Destiny is TWENTY-SIX times that distance away (assuming it travelled in a straight line and didnt hopscotch between galaxies). Dialling Destiny could drain all Atlantis + Odyssey + Weapon Chair's ZPMs in one hit, for a one way trip To the destiny and no way back.

But i do see the chance of the SGC getting a wormhole open sometime in the future or "slingshotting" a ring transporter signal like Vala did in "Beachhead". Maybe the Odyssey or ex-weapon chairs ZPM is given to the Destiny to help them try to return home.

Comment

I don't think we know anything like enough about Destiny's capabilities, power levels, etc in order to have anything like an informed discussion about this
            Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

remember what happened when a stargate was placed in a star, it drew out too much mass and the star went supernova..if they draw too much power out that could happen...or the ship could overheat and blow up.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                remember what happened when a stargate was placed in a star, it drew out too much mass and the star went supernova..if they draw too much power out that could happen...or the ship could overheat and blow up.
                actually, that was only because the gate was connected via wormhole to a black hole that sucked matter out of the star directly.

Comment

I doubt the destiny even at full power, ever had the power to dial earth on its own. If its power source was good enough to provide ZPM levels of power it would have been used alot more by the ancients and other species presumably. Its more likely that its power source was designed with longevity in mind rather than generating huge amounts of power. The ancients probably planned to bring another power source with them or borrow another one to gate back home such as parking near a black hole.

Of course power might not be the issue as Rush said in the past that the ship may not have the ability to gate back home which probably means the gate itsself isn't powerful enough given it is supposed to have limited range.

I guess we'll find out soon enough neway but if its merely a power issue then after recharging they should have access to alot more gate addresses. But if its a limitation of the gate then no amount of power will help.

Comment

Initially the Destiny wasn't too far away to be used. The huge power requirements are only the result of travelling away from the Milky Way galaxy for probably over a million years.

From what I understand, the Ancients simply never used the Destiny because they had enough problems in their neighborhood to worry about and then their civilization collapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by Count View Post
                      actually, that was only because the gate was connected via wormhole to a black hole that sucked matter out of the star directly.
                      if the destiny pulled enough matter out of the star it would still work

Comment

if the destiny pulled enough matter out of the star it would still work
                        No.. it wouldn't.

I'll try and explain it in lamens terms instead of getting complicated into mass depletion between stars.

Basically, the Destiny could never draw enough mass from a star fast enough to cause it to become unstable.

A star is a constant battle between the nuclear explosion that it contains, with the gravity of the dense amount of fuel within the star holding it together. The explosion and gravity cancel each other out and you get a star. Now in normal cases, the amount of mass removed by a star as it simply "burns" is so small that the amount of mass loss is neglegible and the gravity of the remaining mass can remain intact, causing nothing in the star to change.

Short of being a black hole or another star in terms of mass (gravity effect), the Destiny could never draw enough mass out of the star, no matter how much it pulls out, even if it somehow could draw enough material out, it would never actually trigger the star to become unstable since the mass loss is equal to the gravity effect of the star's remaining mass on the star itself.

You can see this in binary stars all the time:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_..._and_accretion

Basically even if something the size of another star tried to pull material out of another star, it still wouldnt' case instability in the star, the star is warped by the effect of ther other star, but it generally remains intact and wouldn't nova. Even something like a neutron star or a star orbiting a black hole would do this, it's simply impossible.

The reason stargate managed to pull of what it did was because the the stargate open was simply the equivilant of producing a "collision" between a black hole and a star, of course the black hole being represented by the stargate itself, so it was incredibly small in terms of effect, but the insane amount of energy. The mass loss was enough to push the star into instability and the remaining gravity provided by the stargate itself allowed the star to collapse (a black hole's gravity well, added to the star's own one would force the star to collapse into itself, accelerating the natural detonation of the star due to age). If the star was still a main sequence star, it's explosion would also be enhanced by the amount of hydrogen fuel left in the star. Typically old stars do not have hydrogen left in them and the explosion is a result of heavier materials such as iron, magneism and sillcon remaining.

I know it sounds complicated, but i have dumbed it down for the non astronomers in the forums.

Long story short, nothign could collapse a star in terms of "real life physics" like draining fuel from a star.

Comment

you cant state that for a fact because they are untested circumstances, stargate or destiny..

on a side note, is anyone else annoyed at the mods merging every thread together

Comment

you cant state that for a fact because they are untested circumstances, stargate or destiny..

on a side note, is anyone else annoyed at the mods merging every thread together
                            Actually... i can. It's called Physics. What astronomical sciences are based on.

I can tell you exactly what's needed to make a star unstable or explode, and short of something completely made up, there's only so many ways to do it.

Comment

When they first dialed onto the Destiny, they destroyed an entire planet. This gives some indication of how much energy is required. if they were to try this they could end up destroying the ship along with themselves. I don't think that there getting home via the gate.

Comment

Working...
                              X