A Way home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Way home

So, now that we've seen what Destiny will do when its power reserves are depleted -- I think there's a workaround to gate back to Earth.

All they have to do is run Destiny's reserves dry again (and Tau'ri are really really good at depleting Ancient power supplies -- EG Atlantis blew through ZPMs like water) to force Destiny to dive into a sun again. Now that they know how the ship replenishes its supply, they won't try to abandon ship.

Again, wait for Destiny to dive back into a star, and as soon as systems start coming back online, start dialing the stargate.

Why I think it'll work:

1) They already have the address (and should have the PoO by now, and if they don't - they can always try the procedure again)

2) The star generates the gravity well a stargate requires to establish a wormhole

3) Stargates are still able to establish and maintain a wormhole in the immediate vicinity of stars -- that's how Carter blew one up.

4) Eli already knows how much power is required to dial a nine-symbol address. It's just a matter of tweaking the gate's power interface to accommodate the fact that --

5)Dialing Earth from Destiny requires a tremendous amount of energy -- while Destiny is recharging, the gate draws power from the power reserves -- but while they're replenishing via a limitless supply of energy, Destiny should continue to try to recharge itself as the stargate continues to siphon power from the onboard supply -- EG, Destiny's power supply is simply a buffer at that point -- like a big capacitor. Think of it as running your car's engine while filling up the tank -- as long as there's gas in the station's wells, your car is never going to die, and you can use your car's power supply to power whatever you want.
    Last edited by nhall; 23 October 2009, 06:33 PM.

Creating worlds I know couldn't possibly exist. One little polygon at a time.

Not a bad idea, but generally suns screw with wormholes. I would think being in one probably wouldn't be good either.

Comment

Yeah that sounds like it would work.

Comment

1. Im pretty sure they dont have the PoO

2. Stars dont generate gravity wells that a normal stargate could use

3. Stargates have protocols that stop them from going through stars since many problems are caused by going trhough them, they would need to know alot about destiny's dialing program in order to bypass that

4. True

5. Might be possible, but it depends on how fast it takes in power, in your example the car is just sitting there, not using much fuel, if it was using as much fuel as possible the pump may not be able to pump enough fuel in fast enough to offset the amount its using, it would get choked up and fail
        Last edited by Pat1487; 23 October 2009, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind, we don't know how long it takes for the power reserves to deplete. It could be years. What they could do is just continually try to dial earth, thereby using up the power more quickly.
          Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
          encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
          3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
          4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
          5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Stars don't generate gravity wells? Everything generates a gravity well, just some are bigger than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat1487 View Post
              1. Im pretty sure they dont have the PoO

2. Stars dont generate gravity wells

3. Stargates have protocols that stop them from going through stars since many problems are caused by going trhough them, they would need to know alot about destiny's dialing program in order to bypass that

4. True

5. Might be possible, but it depends on how fast it takes in power, in your example the car is just sitting there, not using much fuel, if it was using as much fuel as possible the pump may not be able to pump enough fuel in fast enough to offset the amount its using, it would get choked up and fail
              1) True, but, again - if they don't get the PoO right, they can always try again. And again. And again. They'll have to do it 31 (39 symbols minus the eight used for the address) times max, right?

2) Um... yes they do. Everything that has mass generates a gravity well - including stars (A star's gravity well is what keeps the star together, and the planets from flying off into space).

3) Yes, but they have the advantage of knowing the programming of common, newer DHDs -- so at least they have a place to start. This is just a matter of time point

5) Hmm... good point, but again -- I think they can work around that. In the case of not using up enough power, just fire everything up while in the star (Burn as much "gas" as possible). In the case of using too much for Destiny's "pumps" - that'll take awhile to work around, but there's gotta be a way to MacGuyver a buffer or capacitor similar to the one Icarus Base had (those light-fixture things above the gate)

The way I see it, the only thing keeping them from going home is doing a little poking around and some critical thinking. The major problems keeping them from going home are pretty much a non-issue at this point.
              Last edited by nhall; 23 October 2009, 06:54 PM.

Creating worlds I know couldn't possibly exist. One little polygon at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat1487 View Post
                2. Stars dont generate gravity wells
                that stephen hawking dude is WAY off the mark then i guess.
                sigpic
                EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                -Liberty Prime

Comment

Sounds like a future plotline, someone attempts to dial Earth while in the sun, the wormhole opens, they travel through time...again.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    Sounds like a future plotline, someone attempts to dial Earth while in the sun, the wormhole opens, they travel through time...again.
                    LOL. It'll be exactly like '1969' except they meet Ancients who have no idea who they are/how they got there and Janus is there time traveling too and saves em.

Comment

You're forgetting that the ship still has to maintain shields at that point. Presumably at some point, it also started some minimal flight control to keep from overtaxing the shield. We also don't know just how much power the Destiny actually got. Yes, they have the address, but as Rush said, "the properties are unique." There are just too many unknowns.

Comment

I dont think Destiny will let them dial earth anyway I think its pre programmed not to just like nobody can alter the ships course.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          That would be awesome!

And maybe they were going too fast? In Adrift, they couldn't dial the gate because they were moving too fast and the gate couldn't connect with the gate network. (Or something like that.)

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

they would need control of destiny by then...and seeing as how they said i think 13 possibility's for there PoO (let me know if you know the right number) and im willing to bet destiny cant hold enough power to dial earth on its own (it took a planet just to dial the ship) the ship would probably fill up before they maid the right order and if they did they would be out of power by the time the left the star.

Comment

I meant gravity wells that stargates can use, i updated my other post

1) True, but, again - if they don't get the PoO right, they can always try again. And again. And again. They'll have to do it 31 (39 symbols minus the eight used for the address) times max, right?
                              Sitting in the sun dialing 31 times seems like a bad idea to me
                              If the shields fail while they are attempting it they will all be killed

For all we know the power requirement to dial earth may cause the shields to turn off, or weaken to the point where the star is too much for them

3) Yes, but they have the advantage of knowing the programming of common, newer DHDs -- so at least they have a place to start. This is just a matter of time point
                              The technology on the destiny is much much older then the DHDs weve seen
                              The programming may be completely different

5) Hmm... good point, but again -- I think they can work around that. In the case of not using up enough power, just fire everything up while in the star. In the case of using too much for Destiny's "pumps" - that'll take awhile to work around, but there's gotta be a way to MacGuyver a buffer or capacitor similar to the one Icarus Base had (those light-fixture things above the gate)
                              Maybe
                              If they could store the power that the ship is taking in from the star
                              Use capacitors to take and store energy from the ship as the ship takes energy from the star, then use that power later to attempt to dial earth

But they dont have the resources for that right now

Comment

Working...
                              X