Do you think Rush knew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UndergroundWire View Post
    I've been meaning to either call in to the podcast or write on the forum regarding this subject. I believe Rush did not know. In "Light" he was actually very friendly. Until the end when his personality did a 180. My theory is, Rush thought he was going to die so he was friendly. But after this didnt happen, he changed. Why? Because he think he doesn't want to grow any emotional bonds with anyone. In Air Pt 1 we see Rush looking at a picture. Did this person in his life die? Leave him? We don't know but what I do believe is Rush doesn't not want to be liked. The turning point in his personality was when Young slapped him on the back thanking him for a good job.

In the end, Rush never acknowledged the question if he knew because he just wanted to seem like a "Dick". And he did it on purpose.
    I agree with you that he doesn't want to bond overmuch, however, I think that the general politeness and actually rather sweet Rush we saw in Light was the real Rush. He pushes people away for several reasons. One is, as you said, he doesn't want to create bonds. He pretty much says so when he pulls out of the lottery. Bunch of strangers, etc. The second is that at every turn, they are, for no real reason, questioning his professionalism. Their personal dislike has turned to professional dislike and it's lead by Young who should not be undermining him at every turn. That bit in a previous episode where Young actually says that Rush might be creating fires so he can put them out - why would he do that? He already knows he's indispensable. Young is acting very unprofessional.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
      He didn't know until he went to the console and checked. The lack of reaction to Young's accusation, I think, was simply that he either (a) doesn't care (and I think he does) or (b) doesn't react because that's what Young expects.
      IMO b is more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
        IMO b is more likely.
        The accusation to Rush, perhaps, is hardly worthy of a retort.

Comment

no he didn't after rewatch
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I have yet to to any idea of how much he does/doesn't know, suspects, or WANTS to know about the ship yet...and I sooo love that I don't, cause he it just makes him that much more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshuaJSlone View Post
              Let's say for a moment he did know in advance, beyond just a hunch. In that case... why his actions as we saw them? He didn't gain anything by choosing to act the way he did. He didn't even accept the goodwill of his shipmates afterward. Somehow I doubt his plan was "Hide it from everyone, then cause Young to be more suspicious of me by letting on that I knew."

Soooo I don't think he knew any more than we viewers.
              I am not so sure. - Had the shuttle not been recovered, Camille, Scott, Riley and Johansen would all have been out the airlock so to speak, and they are all characters who have stood up to Rush at least once. - He doesn;t intimidate them. - That would have left only Young and Greer as serious competition against Rush in the battle of wills.

Mind you, guesswork on my part. (Shrugs).
              Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
              Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird 2 View Post
                I am not so sure. - Had the shuttle not been recovered, Camille, Scott, Riley and Johansen would all have been out the airlock so to speak, and they are all characters who have stood up to Rush at least once. - He doesn;t intimidate them. - That would have left only Young and Greer as serious competition against Rush in the battle of wills.

Mind you, guesswork on my part. (Shrugs).
                Uh, that suggests that Rush rigged the lottery, which he clearly didn't do.

Comment

No he didn't know.

This ep is the ep when I began to realize Young is crazy.

That whole reaction at the end because Rush wasn't "whoopin' it up" with the rest of them tells me that Young is crazy.

He thinks that everyone has to have the same emotions that he has. Also his ex-wife and his behavior with her says so much.

I think this episode was showing us that Young is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibblette View Post
                    No he didn't know.

This ep is the ep when I began to realize Young is crazy.

That whole reaction at the end because Rush wasn't "whoopin' it up" with the rest of them tells me that Young is crazy.

He thinks that everyone has to have the same emotions that he has. Also his ex-wife and his behavior with her says so much.

I think this episode was showing us that Young is crazy.
                    Perhaps not crazy but aiming for paranoid certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                      Perhaps not crazy but aiming for paranoid certainly.
                      Paranoid is just one of those traits that I think does not make for good officer material.

Of course it's great for putting a little angst in the script but as a leading character I don't know.

Frank Burns in charge-wow!

Comment

I rewatched Air over the weekend and paid particular attention to the interaction between Rush and Young on Icarus Base. Young was exactly the same: passive aggressive, hostile, resentful. Rush seemed almost surprised at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat1487 View Post
                          He seemed genuinely surprised by the fact that they werent vaporized

It was in the scene where he looked at his watch, realized they shouldve been dead by now, went to the observation deck, saw how close they were to the sun, realized the destiny was doing this on purpose and that they would live, then stared laughing in joy
                          Then Eli asked him why he was happy and he explained it

So i dont think he knew before hand
                          Exactly what I was thinking too!

Comment

Originally posted by wargrafix View Post
                            If he really knew, then I would admit I was fooled. He seemed genuinely shocked and pleased. I think the final scene reflect his extreme pessimism which makes him seem like a dick. Honestly, he is right. They are back where they started since they still have no control over the ship.
                            My sentiments exactly. I don't think he knew, but he might have thought that it was a possibility, he might have hoped it was a possibility, but that's very different than actually knowing for sure what would happen. In fact, even if he really, really believed that it would happen, how would he know that the ship wouldn't fail in its attempt to shield the crew. So I don't find fault with him in this instance. I find it hard to completely believe that he is sinister, aside from actually dialing the 9th chevron. It seems that the writers want us to distrust him, more than he deserves (at least up till what's so far been shown)...

Comment

I think part of the problem is that, to my mind anyway, we're supposed to see Young as the flawed but stoic leader and Rush as sinister and wanting power but that's not how Rush is being written or played. To the writers credit (and I don't believe I actually wrote that), the writing for Rush is minimalist which means that Robert Carlyle has a lot to go on in interpreting the character and the thing is, he plays him exceptionally sympathetically. It makes Young look paranoid and while that's not completely how he's written, it's how he's played and more importantly, how he's filmed. Louis Ferreira's doing a great job playing against Carlyle.

Comment

No. He didn't knew. Emotionally wounded as he is due to the loss of his wife, he does not want to get anyone too close. Especially not Young. And Young was coming much too close in the end. So he pushed him away as perfectly as he could. What better than to rise suspicion against him, thus reinstating the status quo.

Comment

Working...
                                X