ATA-gene on the Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATA-gene on the Destiny?

So, we learn in Darkness, that the Destiny predates Atlantis, it is also stated that it predates the use of the ATA gene. How can this be, when the body-swaping stones needs to be activated by someone with the ATA-gene? We know for a fact that the communication device/stones were created before the Ancients/Alterans left their galaxy/ Ori galaxy, as seen in both Avalon, and AoT. Did the writers forget something?

No cos the stones were brought with them from Icarus base. They weren't found on Destiny.
    In Avalon we see Daniel and Vala use the stones as well and they don't have the ATA gene as far as we know. The only time it's been mentioned that the stones require the ATA gene to operate is in citezen Joe However in that case the stones were operating without the use of another device which I believe must introduce the long range aspect into the stones. As well as the full body transferance that we see.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
      No cos the stones were brought with them from Icarus base. They weren't found on Destiny.
      In Avalon we see Daniel and Vala use the stones as well and they don't have the ATA gene as far as we know. The only time it's been mentioned that the stones require the ATA gene to operate is in citezen Joe However in that case the stones were operating without the use of another device which I believe must introduce the long range aspect into the stones. As well as the full body transferance that we see.
      actually dr lee said that the stones just had to be initialized by someone with the ancient gene and since they were any one could use them.

and since we see that the alterans obviously used the communication devices then i think the writers did overlook this because the ata gene actually predates the destiny.
      STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
        actually dr lee said that the stones just had to be initialized by someone with the ancient gene and since they were any one could use them.

and since we see that the alterans obviously used the communication devices then i think the writers did overlook this because the ata gene actually predates the destiny.
        I knew that the stones only needed to be initialized by someone with the ATA-gene, but my point was the fact they used the ATA-gene tech, before creating the Destiny, this means, either the writers overlooked it, or Dr. Rush(s argument) is flawed
        Mostly I think the writers ovelooked it, would not be the first time anyway....

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron999 View Post
          I knew that the stones only needed to be initialized by someone with the ATA-gene, but my point was the fact they used the ATA-gene tech, before creating the Destiny, this means, either the writers overlooked it, or Dr. Rush(s argument) is flawed
          Mostly I think the writers ovelooked it, would not be the first time anyway....
          I get your point that the stone tech is older than the destiny yet uses the ATA gene tech. I agree that this may be a writer oversight but it could also be that the ATA gene technology wasnt integrated into ships until the Ancients ran into the wraith - a species that threatened them.

They had the ability to implement this technology on the destiny but did not see a need to use this until they were under threat from the wraith.
          sigpic

Comment

The gene tech is also built into the control chairs and they were around before they went to the Pegasus galaxy.

Comment

do people actually WATCH the show or merely pretend? jeez, half the questions about SGU can be answered by re-watching, a quarter by thinking, and the rest by continuing to watch

Comment

Actually yeah.
                1. The Communication Stones need to be activated by the ATA gene.
                2. The Communication Stones existed before the Destiny. As they're present in the Ori Galaxy, as well as the Milky Way & Pegasus. Therefor indicating that it was developed before the Split, or both the Ori & Ancients devolped the exact same thing later, which isn't likely.
                3. The Destiny was built, not incorperating the ATA genes.

So, best guess would be that the Ancients saw no need for the Destiny to have security on it, as only they would know where it is/ be able to get onto it.

Comment

or the destiny is so old that it predates most ancient tech, including the ata gene.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                    Actually yeah.
                    1. The Communication Stones need to be activated by the ATA gene.
                    2. The Communication Stones existed before the Destiny. As they're present in the Ori Galaxy, as well as the Milky Way & Pegasus. Therefor indicating that it was developed before the Split, or both the Ori & Ancients devolped the exact same thing later, which isn't likely.
                    3. The Destiny was built, not incorperating the ATA genes.

So, best guess would be that the Ancients saw no need for the Destiny to have security on it, as only they would know where it is/ be able to get onto it.
                    I just tried to explain that but i got a bit muddled, will have to use bullet points next time. Some lovely green for you.
                    sigpic

Comment

or maybe, the ata gene is not needed for the earlier stones, or perhaps even just to identify someone using the stones.

Comment

Originally posted by timstro59 View Post
                        or the destiny is so old that it predates most ancient tech, including the ata gene.
                        The destiny was launched after the split from the Ori galaxy so they already had ATA gene technology, they just saw no use to place it on the destiny.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          or maybe, the ata gene is not needed for the earlier stones, or perhaps even just to identify someone using the stones.
                          True. The one found in Merlin's cave was probably built after Destiny, as well as the Pegasus one.

It depends if the Ori-version needs the gene to work or not. If it does, then it's an oversight, if not then the Ancients must have added the ATA gene feature for security afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                            The destiny was launched after the split from the Ori galaxy so they already had ATA gene technology, they just saw no use to place it on the destiny.
                            Why would there be no reason to use it on Destiny? ATA is used for mental interfaces too not just security. Mental interfaces work really well wherever we've seen them before (jumpers, control chairs), why not include it in your grand exploration ship? It doesn't have to be the only way of doing things, but it shouldn't be ignored. It's like building a computer and not including USB ports.
                            Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind. -Albert Einstein

I'm beginning to realize no one actually reads my posts.

Comment

If you notice, the Ancients only gene-coded their most sensitive and most powerful technologies. Keep in mind, not all of Atlantis's systems and tech require the Ancient gene. Only those technologies with neural interfaces were protected. The Destiny has no such technology. Now, Rush's comment was probably a slip up, but also keep in mind that before the creation of Atlantis, nothing bigger than the control chair was controlled through a neural interface or protected by the gene.
                              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Working...
                              X