Dollhouse to be shelved for sweeps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised. Dollhouse has been doing what (IMO) Stargate did for years: giving us half a season of half-assed garbage followed by some tight, awesome stuff that leaves you craving more. But by the time you get to the back nine (or whatever the number is) it can be too late for people who aren't entirely hooked to start with. Fans shouldn't have to sit through half a season of dreck just to get to the good stuff, shows should start strong out of the gate and keep it going. Sure, kick it up a notch for the finale, but don't waste the audience's time beforehand.
    Exactly. If more of the first season had been like the last two episodes, #3 and #4, I don't think we would have to be worrying so much about ratings. To pull off something like "Belonging" and then just leave us hanging until December is terribly unkind. If the rest of the season stays at this level, we might be able to turn this thing around. Looking forward to Double Dollhouse Days in December.

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    Can't really comment on whether it was "properly" advertised or not because 1) I don't watch much FOX and 2) I don't pay attention to the commercials, but I'm pretty sure I have seen some ads for it and as far as I'm concerned it isn't lack of advertising that is killing Dollhouse, it's the lack of better stories. And quite frankly I think the near-exclusive focus on Echo has also hamstrung things a bit. But I really dislike the character (and Eliza's portrayal of her) so that could be tainting my view a bit.
    I keep seeing more and more people who really don't care for the Echo/Caroline character. I don't like the character either, although I can't put my finger on why, exactly. This season has been much better with respect to better plots and less Echo-centric 'stuff'. With the exception of 'Instincts'. I know some folks liked it, but it did nothing for me.

Comment

Joss Whedon pretty much created the show for Eliza Dushku. She's also a producer on the show. Of course Echo is going to be the main focus of the show.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
        Joss Whedon pretty much created the show for Eliza Dushku. She's also a producer on the show. Of course Echo is going to be the main focus of the show.
        Sorry as a producer she should put the show before her own career.
        The show is clearly better when it is not focusing on her, in fact all the best episodes have been when she is not the main character in story.

As a producer she should relies that an so should Joss.
        Last edited by knowles2; 25 October 2009, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Yeah, so? It doesn't mean I have to like it.

Comment

Its a pity, the second season has really stepped up..... im hopeful that syfy would pick it up.. Dollhouse can't have that big a budget anyway
            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Sorry as a producer she should put the show before her own career.
              The show is clearly better when it is not focusing on her, in fact all the best episodes have been when she is not the main character in story.

As a producer she should relies that an so should Joss.
              Eliza Dushku is not just a producer, she's also the face of the show. She's on all the posters and billboards. She goes on the talk shows. They're using her to draw new viewers so people are going to expect her to be the focus of the show.

If all the new viewers go to watch the show because they saw Eliza Dushku on a billboard or on Letterman, and she's only in 10 minutes of the show then they're going to switch channels.

Comment

Eliza Dushku is not just a producer, she's also the face of the show. She's on all the posters and billboards. She goes on the talk shows. They're using her to draw new viewers so people are going to expect her to be the focus of the show.

If all the new viewers go to watch the show because they saw Eliza Dushku on a billboard or on Letterman, and she's only in 10 minutes of the show then they're going to switch channels.
                but Dollhouse isnt Macgyver, there cant be whole episodes around the Echo character week after week. particularly when Echo is surrounded by characters that have a lot more depth to them (which is to be expected since Echo is a doll)

I agree that she should put the show ahead of her own acting career, but then again Joss is writing these episodes, and I think he would have more sway than anyone else on matters such as this.
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Brain_Child View Post
                  but Dollhouse isnt Macgyver, there cant be whole episodes around the Echo character week after week. particularly when Echo is surrounded by characters that have a lot more depth to them (which is to be expected since Echo is a doll)
                  Actually they can. And they pretty much have. There have been a few non-Echocentric eps here and there, but that's probably done just as much (if not more) to give Eliza a break as it is to give the audience a break from the unrelenting stream of Echo. As Giantevilhead said, she's in all the ads & on the billboards and does more of the big talk shows (although the others do interviews, too). She's also chock solid throughout the opening sequence, which is where supporting characters are usually given at least a passing nod. The show may be called Dollhouse but it could more accurately be called Echo since it IS her show. In its entirety. Which is, IMO, a damn shame because the concept of the Dollhouse is an intriguing one but I think it would play out better with a wider palette. I think it'd also be a bonus to the writers to have more characters to choose from when they craft their stories.

Oh sure, you can point out that Echo is just a blank and can be made to play an infinite variety of characters, but... Personally? I think there's a sameness to most of the personalities she adopts. At least Victor and Sierra can do accents.

I suppose in the long run it doesn't really matter. The show is still toast. Maybe now Joss can concentrate on writing the Doctor Horrible sequel. I'd rather watch that, anyway.

Comment

Well it must be crystal clear to any producer, director or hell even the fans that she is not drawing in viewers.
                    An just looking on the forums they all say the best episodes are the ones with out Eliza being central to the storyline.
                    Sometimes as show runner and as a producers you got to accept the original idea is not working, an change, adapt an hopefully survive, especially when you get a second season despite the low, very low ratings it got last year, it was a second chance an they blew it big time.

They could tell from those low ratings that having her as a central focus of the show was not working, most fans could tell an that why there favourite episodes were not ones with Eliza in every scene, I am sure even the thickos at Fox could tell it was not working. It seems no one has the bulls to tell Joss that or he did not have the bulls to tell Eliza that she will not be in every scene showing her talent or lack of talent off. Them two being friends just make it harder for the show to adapt. Joss just the same as the rest of us, we fine it hard to tell our friends the truth, which is a shame because the show could really of done with the change.

The last episode was the best this season, all the reviews say, I say so, most fans say so, , it was one without Eliza being in every scene, she just does not work for the show, but it creator is to proud to admit it, and the produce obviously does not want to admit that she fail in this role.
                    Last edited by knowles2; 26 October 2009, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X