• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dollhouse to be shelved for sweeps

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/10/...se-for-sweeps/

Exclusive: Fox to bench 'Dollhouse' during sweeps
    by Michael Ausiello

This isn’t a good sign: Sources confirm to me exclusively that Fox has decided to pull Dollhouse off the schedule during November sweeps. Joss Whedon’s ratings-challenged drama is expected to return in December and air back-to-back episodes on Friday night.

Bottom line: Barring a ratings miracle, Dollhouse will be shut down for good after it completes its current 13-episode order.

Sounds like things are all but toast.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

It's not like we didn't see this coming. I just hope that we'll get a decent finale.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/10/...se-for-sweeps/

Sounds like things are all but toast.
      Decemeber is about the worst time to air a show. Viewership is so low or watching Christmas specials. Pretty much its toast
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Is this really a surprise? Fox already made a pretty big commitment just by promising to air all 13 episodes when it could easily get twice the ratings by airing repeats of House.

Comment

I in the middle of watching a show that lasted only one season due to terrible rating "The Middleman". I love that show so much but it didn't last. Looks like The Dollhouse will now also die a fast death. I am glad thet the doctor will be back next year (and Gene Gennie) or otherwise I would be stuck with only two shows to watch ...unless Castle will also get cancelled.
          He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
          He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
          And he's wonderful.

Comment

Well, Huntress, it would seem you're in luck. Castle was just given a full 22 ep order.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Looks like Fox is being Fox again. I don't know why Joss bothers with them. They're clearly trying to kill it- why else would they air reruns of shows during sweeps? Nothing for me to watch on Fox now.
              sigpic

Comment

Fox already gave "Dollhouse" plenty of chances. The tried the whole sci-fi Friday thing last year by pairing it with Terminator. They advertised it quite a bit. Eliza Dushku's been on Fallon, Kimmel, and Letterman to promote the show this season. No other star of a Fox show has done that many talk shows this season. Heck, considering last season's ratings, any other network would have canceled it but Fox still gave it 13 episodes and promised to air all 13 even though they could easily pull the show in the middle of the season if the ratings were bad.

Comment

Uh....I never saw any advertising for it, and Friday night on a major network is the dreaded death slot. They didn't pair TSCC and Dollhouse up for either of their benefits, it was to kill both. Friday nights have always been the death slot on network TV.

Comment

If anything Joss probably guilt tripped the execs by mentioning the fact that they screwed him over with firefly last time.........on the other hand he could have just begged and pleaded.....
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Well, Huntress, it would seem you're in luck. Castle was just given a full 22 ep order.
                      Thanks DigiFluid. At least Castle is doing well enough for a full season. I agree BTW on Friday Night Death Slot. The X-Files had also been aired on that slot because Fox wanted to get rid of the show as fast as possible but then the show became a huge hit and made Fidays on Fox a powerful viewing time. For a long time the Friday night lineup on Fox beat all other channels with huge numbers.
                      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                      And he's wonderful.

Comment

And The X-Files was probably the last show to get good numbers in the Friday Night Death Slot, too

Comment

Uh....I never saw any advertising for it, and Friday night on a major network is the dreaded death slot. They didn't pair TSCC and Dollhouse up for either of their benefits, it was to kill both. Friday nights have always been the death slot on network TV.
                          Right, because Fox loves to flush money down the toilet.

As for advertisements, Eliza Dushku has went on 4 late night talk shows this year. She went on Kimmel on March 12, Carson Daly on April 23, Letterman on October 6, and Fallon on October 8. Hugh Laurie only went on two late night shows this year, Letterman on March 23, and Leno on September 29. Seth McFarlane has only been on one show, Conan on October 1. Eliza Dushku has been sent on more late night talk shows than any other actor who works on Fox.

There are also a lot of billboards and posters. I live in Los Angeles and there are tons of advertisements for "Dollhouse."

It's just that there aren't many commercials for the show but then there's not that many commercials for "House" and "Fringe" either.

The idea that Fox set up "Dollhouse" to die is just ridiculous. They could pull the plug on a show any time they want. Instead, they gave "Dollhouse" a chance. Two chances actually, since they renewed it. As I mentioned before, they could just air a "House" rerun and get about twice the ratings and it would cost them a lot less money. In fact, they would get a lot more in return since "House" is now the most popular show in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                            Right, because Fox loves to flush money down the toilet.

As for advertisements, Eliza Dushku has went on 4 late night talk shows this year. She went on Kimmel on March 12, Carson Daly on April 23, Letterman on October 6, and Fallon on October 8. Hugh Laurie only went on two late night shows this year, Letterman on March 23, and Leno on September 29. Seth McFarlane has only been on one show, Conan on October 1. Eliza Dushku has been sent on more late night talk shows than any other actor who works on Fox.

There are also a lot of billboards and posters. I live in Los Angeles and there are tons of advertisements for "Dollhouse."

It's just that there aren't many commercials for the show but then there's not that many commercials for "House" and "Fringe" either.

The idea that Fox set up "Dollhouse" to die is just ridiculous. They could pull the plug on a show any time they want. Instead, they gave "Dollhouse" a chance. Two chances actually, since they renewed it. As I mentioned before, they could just air a "House" rerun and get about twice the ratings and it would cost them a lot less money. In fact, they would get a lot more in return since "House" is now the most popular show in the world.
                            I think the argument, though, is that Friday night really isn't giving it a chance. It's like they think, "All sci fi shows should be on Friday, because only nerds like science fiction and they're never out on Friday nights." So, while they did give it a chance, it wasn't a good one since they never really knew what to do with it in the first place.
                            sigpic

Comment

"Fringe" isn't on Friday. TSCC wasn't on Friday for the first season and first half of the second season.

There is no place on the schedule for the show. If they put "Dollhouse" in another time slot then they'll have to move another show to Friday.

Comment

Working...
                              X