Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time Line Problem (general spoilers beware)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Line Problem (general spoilers beware)

okay, i just remembered that carter said that the gate in antarctica was the oldest weve ever discovered at 50 million years old. however dr. rush said that the destiny was launched hundreds of thousands of years ago, and if that were true then why does it use an older version of the gate system than the version we use today which is the same as the one that is 50 million years old even though it was launched mush later than when the version we use today was implemented.

also, the ancients were inthe pegasus galaxy for millions of years and yet the destiny was launched from earth hundreds of thousands of years ago, so that dosent make sense that destiny was launched from earth and also, the destiny should be using pegasus type gates which are the gates the ancients were using hundreds of thousands of years ago so again the timeline dosent add up.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

As has been pointed out many times, Rush spoke wrongly, intentionally or not.
    If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)
    Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.

I own "Future War"..I can put up with a lot

sigpic - Black Belt Test 10/24/2009 -

Comment

Rush obviously didn't know the exact day the ship was launched, he was just speaking in general terms; and besides, several thousand unites of "hundreds of thousand" will equal millions of years anyway. You just need to stop thinking that what he said meant strictly 100,000 to 999,999.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Wait, was he talking metric or English years?
        If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, and other science facts...(la! la! la!)

Comment

yeah but how could he have been off by millions of years. i mean if he thought that it was launched hundreds of thousands of years ago then i find it odd how he could have been off by million of years because for the destiny to fit into the timeline properly, it would have had to have been launched at least 50 million years ago, proboably more.

however if that were true then the destiny would have traveled only 60 light years a year for the past 50 million years, and thats if its 3 billion light years away, because he said that they were several billion light years from home and i doubt that he would have also have gotten that figure so wrong since he was looking right at the navigational logs so that also begs the question as to why the destiny would be going so slow.
          STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

Maybe on a episode one of the characters will travel back to see the Destiny when it was on its prime or on flashbacks and maybe we can learn the true age of the ship and have the Ancients explain why they sent it unmanned with more details.

Comment

Oh how I wish for such a flashback!!!!!!

Comment

Ooo fun... another one of these threads. Dont worry stargater1990, I agree with you.

Ok, 3, 2, 1, here we go.....

When Rush said that the Destiny was in flight for hundreds of thousands of years, this was before any sort of power was restored to the ship - that happened after the observation deck scene. So at that point in time, you could say that Rush might of just been pulling it out of his ass. I mean, Rush, along with the rest of the crew, hadn't been on the destiny for more then 20 minutes at that scene.

I personally feel that if the writers wrote in that line, they were telling the fans - hey, this is how old the destiny is. However, most people, like to follow the logic that Rush and crew have no idea wtf they are talking about, and that it was a very vague, general estimate - or- as Lightning Ducj put it, Rush spoke wrongly, intentionally or not.

However, comma, pause for effect.... in Darkness, Rush and Voulker have the following conversation:

RUSH: Right. I'm concerned that Destiny is on the verge of losing power. Look for yourself.

(Volker walks closer to the console. Without looking at him, Rush points to a nearby console. Not quite rolling his eyes, Volker diverts to that one.)

VOLKER: The ship's been flying around for the better part of a million years.

RUSH: I know.

VOLKER: So I don't understand why, all of a sudden ...

RUSH (not bothering to let him finish his question): When we showed up and started doing things, how about that?
                ------------

At this point in time on the ship, using Destiny's computer/database/whatever you wanna call it, the crew has learned a decent amount of things. One example, Rush was able to look into the life support systems to determine which 'nodes' needed to be fixed.

Therefore, it is more then likely, at this point in time, Rush or anyone else who can read ancient, could of verified whether or not the ship was launched hundreds of thousands of years ago.

Going back to my 'if the writers put it in....' logic, they've not once, but twice, made a specific reference to the Destiny being launched/in flight for only hundreds of thousands of years (more then a hundred thousand, less then a million).

Could they change it? Could Rush be wrong? Sure, absolutely. Realistically, Destiny has probably been in flight, doing its thing, for at least 20 million years (greater then 10 million years, less then 50 million years), and is probably several trillion light years out, if not farther.

But for right now, 4 episodes in, Destiny has been in flight for hundreds of thousands of years, and is several billion light years away from home. So at the moment, there are time line inconsistencies, and since all we go on as solid fact is what is shown in the episode, unless/until they fix it with a different line, the time line is F'd up.

Saying Rush doesn't know what he's talking about, or was being general is more speculation then anything else. How could anyone possibly know that? It's implied? It's assumed? Tell me, how is a new stargate franchise viewer going to assume that, since all they've seen of stargate is SGU - and that basically the benchmark right there. TPTB decided to make this series, not so much for the SG-1/SGA fan, but to attract new viewers. So you could kind of say, to a fresh stargate viewer, SGU trumps all previous facts.

Now, if years go by and that not so new SGU viewer decides to watch the original movie/series/movies, he/she is going to come across inconsistencies about certain things about the time line, period.

stargater1990 - just saw your other reply... yea, I mean, its right in your face - when I was watching the pilot on tv, I immediately picked up all these inconsistencies with the time line... just doesn't add up.

Comment

When was it established that the Destiny uses an older version of the Stargate than the ones found in the Milky Way? I personally think the Milky Way gates look more "primitive".

Comment

there is a difference between what rush says and what rush thinks or knows

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                      When was it established that the Destiny uses an older version of the Stargate than the ones found in the Milky Way? I personally think the Milky Way gates look more "primitive".
                      By TPTB but also by Rush saying that the Destiny was 'way older' than the ATA Gene technology

Comment

Originally posted by lightning ducj View Post
                        as has been pointed out many times, rush spoke wrongly, intentionally or not.
                        quoted for truth
                        Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...light=timeline
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...light=timeline (actually called "Timeline")
                          etc etc
                          Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Working...
                          X