Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Stargate Command dial Destiny from Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnonyMoose View Post
    Dain, who is suggesting that they will "establish a Stargate connection back home by second season and get regular starship visits from back home by the third"?
    I think that was more of a reference to SGA than anything else...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sandalhatman View Post
      I had to register just to get into this discussion.

The SGC should be able to dial destiny but won't be allowed to for plot purposes. Let me now point to my proof. In season 8, episode 4, "Zero Hour" Dr. Lee was examining a booby trapped ZPM. From Gateworld's transcript...

LEE: We were gonna send it to Antarctica! Look, can you imagine if someone had taken it and plugged it into the chair in the Ancient outpost? I-I can't even imagine the magnitude of the explosion. A charged Z.P.M. detonating that -- I don't know, I mean, it could have destroyed the whole planet.

What happened when when they dialed the Destiny? The planet exploded. So that shows that all that is required to dial to the other side of the universe is a planet-sized explosion, which a ZPM is more than capable of making.

So yes, the SGC should be able to dial Destiny, but they won't be allowed to. Perhaps its for a legitimate reason, like the Earth gate doesn't have the necessary power conduits to handle that much power, but I think its more likely for plot reasons, which just means its a bad plot in the first place.

And to stave off the argument of "But Dr. Lee said it only 'might' destroy the planet" he also says in that episode that that ZPM is only 50% charged (says so in that same episode). So a fully charged one should be more than enough.
      I disagree with you. You're totally confused.

You sound like another Potentia (ZPM) worshiper from SGA "The Brotherhood".

I agree with Dain.
      There is no spoon...

Comment

Originally posted by PacoJr67 View Post
        I think that was more of a reference to SGA than anything else...
        Oh, now I get it - thanks.
        There is no spoon...

Comment

Can Stargate Command dial Destiny from Earth?

Probably. If not the SGC then Atlantis with 3 ZPMs connected.

Will Stargate Command or Atlantis dial Destiny from Earth?

No, because 1) ZPMs are finite and of strategic importance to Earth's defense, and dialing Destiny would significantly drain them 2) it would be illogical to sacrifice a bunch of ZPMs to send limited supplies to Destiny when the survivors can get them themselves using their Stargate 3) ultimately, the Icarus Base survivors are expendable.

Drilling platform on Lantea/Project Arcturus = Ancient solutions to increasing power demands to dial Destiny.
          sigpic

Comment

Beware the Potentia (ZPM) Worshipers !

In the SGA series finale "Enemy at the Gate", Dr. Zelenka enabled Atlantis to use a wormhole drive to instantaneously transport Atlantis from the edge of the Milky Way galaxy to Earth in order to battle the ZPM powered super Wraith hive ship. The use of the wormhole drive and the battle with the Wraith almost completely depleted all 3 of Atlantis' ZPMs. At the end of the show, Atlantis had little power, but was able to cloak itself after it landed in the ocean. The ZPM powered Wraith ship, and Earth's ZPM powered Chair defense platform were all destroyed during the battle. Therefore, there were no more ZPMs with any significant power left to complete the dialing sequence of the nine chevron address that was discovered in an ancient database.

This is why the 2+ year Icarus project was funded for $1.6 billion to locate a planet with an enormous power source, then build a military base on it with a stargate, and then attempt to dial the nine chevron address in order to discover where it would take them.

Some of this was explained at the end of this 1.5 minute Daniel Jackson video from SGU "Air": http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/1654/index.html

In SGU "Air" we discover that the maximum power generating capacity of the equipment built to tap into the enormous power supply in the Icarus planet's core was needed to generate a wormhole many galaxys away, probably halfway across the universe, and to the Destiny ship. Since the Icarus planet was destroyed during a military attack, the Destiny crew are on their own, and Earth has no possible way to help them.
            Last edited by AnonyMoose; 22 October 2009, 10:21 PM.
            There is no spoon...

Comment

i doubt that even with three full zpm's on atlantis they would be able to connect to destiny but with that said im sure the ancients had some way of dialing destiny

Comment

Originally posted by aream2000 View Post
                i doubt that even with three full zpm's on atlantis they would be able to connect to destiny but with that said im sure the ancients had some way of dialing destiny
                Remember, its been thousands of yrs since the ancients left this planbe of existance, whether in death or ascension. THe ancients may have not accounted for Destiny being so far away.
                The battle for the ultimate SG team: who will it be?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X