Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Stargate Command dial Destiny from Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Stargate Command dial Destiny from Earth?

Now that Eli and Rush have figured out how to dial the 9th chevron, can't they share the info. with Stargate Command using the Ancient communication stones? As long as a ZPM or two is available to supply power, Stargate Command could dial up the stargate on board Destiny. Perhaps borrow Atlantis's ZPM?

Indeed.

Destiny predates Atlantis, and they found the address in Atlantis' database--the city which had its home on Earth before going to Pegasus. With Atlantis back at its home on Earth--the question becomes, why not dial it from Atlantis? Make sure it has ZPMs, and plug a couple naquada generators in if necessary, and have at it. Should work fine.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Indeed.

Destiny predates Atlantis, and they found the address in Atlantis' database--the city which had its home on Earth before going to Pegasus. With Atlantis back at its home on Earth--the question becomes, why not dial it from Atlantis? Make sure it has ZPMs, and plug a couple naquada generators in if necessary, and have at it. Should work fine.
      That might be an interesting little plot twist to be able to send supplies to the Destiny, but it would be a one-way trip since the ship doesn't have enough power to dial back to Earth (at least right now). That means any supplies sent through would have to be by MALP. Then again, the whole idea might end up getting mentioned in a future episode, only to find that it doesn't work for whatever reason and the Destiny crew would still be in their unfortunate pickle.
      sigpic

Comment

That might be an interesting little plot twist to be able to send supplies to the Destiny, but it would be a one-way trip since the ship doesn't have enough power to dial back to Earth (at least right now). That means any supplies sent through would have to be by MALP. Then again, the whole idea might end up getting mentioned in a future episode, only to find that it doesn't work for whatever reason and the Destiny crew would still be in their unfortunate pickle.
        At the very least Stargate Command could send a ZPM or naquada generator to Destiny, which would allow them to set up a stable wormhole connection. And restore power to Destiny and possibly gain control of the ship. Or perhaps in a future episode Eli or Rush will find a spare ZPM or other power generator in storage somewhere on Destiny.

Maybe whatever energy source is powering the communication stones could be harnessed?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertF View Post
          At the very least Stargate Command could send a ZPM or naquada generator to Destiny, which would allow them to set up a stable wormhole connection. And restore power to Destiny and possibly gain control of the ship. Or perhaps in a future episode Eli or Rush will find a spare ZPM or other power generator in storage somewhere on Destiny.
          But the priority has to be defense of Earth. Any ZPM can and should be used to the purpose of powering shielding and weapons right here.

I hate to play the numbers game, but the defense of the 6.5 billion people living here have to take priority over the 50 (or whatever) people aboard Destiny.

Maybe whatever energy source is powering the communication stones could be harnessed?
          That's an interesting thought/tradeoff. If they were to somehow integrate its power source, which must be immensely powerful (it lasts millions of years and transmits billions of light years) into Destiny. Of course, that would prevent them communicating any desperate needs they might have back to Earth.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

As long as Atlantis is on Earth, it's unlikely Stargate Command could dial anything, the Atlantis gate has precidence. Unless the Atlantis DHD Is disconnected or they hack the SGC gate to match the code from midway, it's unlikely that the SGC will be dialling anything anytime soon.

Comment

Sending naquada generators would definitely be a good idea but any harvested ZPMs are going to be used for Earth and Atlantis for reasons already mentioned by others in the thread.

I highly doubt that the Destiny crew will find anything like a ZPM or any Ancient technology. I think it would be problematic for plot reasons and plausibility. As far as past canon goes, the Ancients never ventured out into deep space nearly as far as the Destiny has. The ship essentially on the other side of the known universe so for better or worse, the Destiny crew is on their own.

As for the communication stones, I don't know if the actual mechanics has ever been explored in-depth. An interesting plot twist might be if they ended up fiddling with the stones and seriously damaged them, cutting off their only communication with Earth.
              Last edited by Cold Fuzz; 19 October 2009, 10:08 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

I can see Season two opening up the Atlantis -> Destiny connection for short bursts, allowing for small batches of supplies and such.

Comment

As long as a ZPM or two is available to supply power, Stargate Command could dial up the stargate on board Destiny.
                  No, it couldn't. The amount of power the naquadria core of the Icarus planet put out is far greater than that of a few ZPMs. I think there was even someone here who did the math...
                  Honestly, I hope the writers don't do anything this stupid. Don't take it as an insult, OP. But dialing the Destiny would be the type of mistake that Atlantis made.

"Oh, their situation is desperate. No problem. Turns out we didn't really need insane amounts of power. We can just use these handy ZPMs. It doesn't even matter that they're mostly depleted. They're more like Plot Device Modules anyway - they work when we tell them to. Send in everything they need. Tons of food, guns, ammo, hey, some people as well. I'm sure we'll have enough volunteers for a potentially one-way mission. Telford's one. Maybe throw in a few DVD players as well. Rush is a huge Vampire Diaries fan. He'll want to catch up. Oh, and we also have those damn stones. So, they have everything they need, plus we can basically also send all our most brilliant minds on board without actually making it permanent for them. Man, this is even easier than Atlantis. At least there are no space vampires..."

The stones are enough to piss me off at times. The day the SGC dials Destiny is the day I stop watching, because I've already seen SGA.

Comment

You need some cheese.

Comment

Heh

He makes valid points though, you have to give him that.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom6 View Post
                        You need some cheese.
                        Yeah, I was having a little craving for pepper jack not too long ago.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                          No, it couldn't. The amount of power the naquadria core of the Icarus planet put out is far greater than that of a few ZPMs.
                          Precisely. They were on the Icarus planet for a reason. Power to dial nine chevrons. If they could have done it from Earth, they would have done it from Earth.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                            That might be an interesting little plot twist to be able to send supplies to the Destiny
                            Hopefully it'll be a lil more useful than what Jack sent thru to Wier when they arrived at Atlantis

Originally posted by Count View Post
                            As long as Atlantis is on Earth, it's unlikely Stargate Command could dial anything
                            For that reason alone I believe they would have disabled the DHD and allowed the SGC to continue normal operations.

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                            No, it couldn't. The amount of power the naquadria core of the Icarus planet put out is far greater than that of a few ZPMs.
                            I agree, the amount of power required just to test it was enormous. ZedPMs are fantastic and all but for a 9th Chevron lock you're gonna need the grunt of a Naquadria cored planet!

Maybe there might be enough Naquadria on Kelowna for another dial in? It'd be nice to see Jonas again!

Neera: "You do not fear them?"
                            : "The Wraith? Naah. Now *clowns* — that's another story."

Comment

Originally posted by Encoder View Post
                              Maybe there might be enough Naquadria on Kelowna for another dial in? It'd be nice to see Jonas again!

I always wondered what happened with Jonas. The thing with Kelowna, I remember that they fell to the Ori advance. I like to think that Jonas would have been among the first to setup a resistance movement.

I don't know if there was enough naquadria on their entire planet to be able to dial the 9th chevron address but I don't think it would stop the SGC from trying.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X