This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
    It's still pretty boring...I'm hoping that the mid season finale will knock it up a notch.
    One man's boring is another man's adventure
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Tell me something I don't know, sir.

Comment

Hmm, I actually thought SGA was getting pretty boring with the 'adventure of the week' stuff. At least SGU has character threads and arcs running through the entire season instead of wrapping it all up in the 40 minutes they introduce the problem.
        Mia: Don't you hate that?
        Vincent: Hate what?
        Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
        Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
        Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
        - Pulp Fiction

Comment

That's a typical problem. When writing dies.
          It'll get worse for SGU if there is not at least some action.

Character Development is OVER RATED when they never solve problems or it's purely extraneous to the plot. It's a Teen Movie/ Soap Opera....

I'm astonished they couldn't find a balance.

Comment

That's a typical problem. When writing dies.
            It'll get worse for SGU if there is not at least some action.
            By the pure definion of action (doing some task) the show has action. Just not the kind you want. Techincally speaking these character arcs/moments are action
            Character Development is OVER RATED when they never solve problems or it's purely extraneous to the plot.
            air supply
            powe problems
            alien bugs in ships
            Stargate about to blow up
            microgranism diease
            Yeah their are not problems and I didn't even mention the character problems.
            I seem to missed the movie or teenagers in SGU.
            It's a Teen Movie/ Soap Opera....
            I'm astonished they couldn't find a balance.
            Actually I'm not. I find its a rareity for a show to find a true balance between a plot and characters. Few shows seem to accomplish this
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              By the pure definion of action (doing some task) the show has action. Just not the kind you want. Techincally speaking these character arcs/moments are action
              Sir, the post was quite comprehensive with out a technicality.
              So non technically speaking, there is no action. It's a Drama

air supply
              hardly fresh and interesting
              powe problems
              We've seen that before.
              alien bugs in ships
              We've seen that before.
              Stargate about to blow up
              We've seen that before.
              microgranism diease
              We've seen that before.

What's worse there was no suspencse at all and the character situations were just as medicore.

I'm sure you see this as exciting and action-like sir. You're one of the shows busiest proponent. But they've only manage to make the most unfocussed, mediocre and uninteresting dark show on TV.

Yeah their are not problems and I didn't even mention the character problems.

If it looks like a duck sir...
              These people act, sound, and are written like teenagers. Not like military. Certainly not like a Covert Operation operating on another planet. The idea is hashed and rehashed. You have to be intuitive, sir.

Actually I'm not. I find its a rareity for a show to find a true balance between a plot and characters. Few shows seem to accomplish this
              I'm not talking truisms, sir.

Comment

Jelgate,

Sir, I understand your literalism. If you don't see my perspective because of it, there is nothing I can do to change that. Yet, you'll find that I will maintain my position despite the literal truth because I sense something inferred, and it insults my intelligence, my grasp of the obvious. What I sense is a vulgar need to cater to deplorable behavior for ratings.

More importantly,
                I sense no story because there is no story.

Comment

Sir, the post was quite comprehensive with out a technicality.
                  So non technically speaking, there is no action. It's a Drama
                  A drama does not mean its action less. Their has been action. Maybe less and more sublte action but to say no action is absurd. Action comes in many different forms.
                  hardly fresh and interesting
                  We've seen that before.
                  We've seen that before.
                  We've seen that before.
                  We've seen that before.
                  Well of course using this simplistic defintions it has been seen before but everything has been done before. Its the more complexities on how it is approached or solved that makes it. Oh how the character approach the problems make it different
                  What's worse there was no suspencse at all and the character situations were just as medicore.
                  Subjective
                  I'm sure you see this as exciting and action-like sir. You're one of the shows busiest proponent. But they've only manage to make the most unfocussed, mediocre and uninteresting dark show on TV.
                  This show has nothing on BSG when it comes to uninteresting and dark

If it looks like a duck sir...
                  These people act, sound, and are written like teenagers. Not like military. Certainly not like a Covert Operation operating on another planet. The idea is hashed and rehashed. You have to be intuitive, sir.
                  Their is a flaw in your analogy. They don't act like teenagers with maybe the exception of Chloe. And my answer for that the idea that each age group has a certain mentality is a sterotype. People act different because of how they were raised. Some older people will have less maturity then other because they didn't have the best upbringing

As for rehash when has Stargate done anything like this before?

I'm not talking truisms, sir.
                  Well you should when you debate. Makes your arguement weak and more flawed
                  Last edited by jelgate; 02 December 2009, 01:20 PM.
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

A drama does not mean its action less. Their has been action. Maybe less and more sublte action but to say no action is absurd. Action comes in many different forms.
                    Yes, sir.

Well of course using this simplistic defintions it has been seen before but everything has been done before. Its the more complexities on how it is approached or solved that makes it. Oh how the character approach the problems make it different

Subjective
                    Yes, sir.

This show has nothing on BSG when it comes to uninteresting and dark
                    Wouldn't that fit under subjective, sir?

Their is a flaw in your analogy. They don't act like teenagers with maybe the exception of Chloe. And my answer for that the idea that each age group has a certain mentality is a sterotype. People act different because of how they were raised. Some older people will have less maturity then other because they didn't have the best upbringing
                    I disagree, sir.
                    I think we've failed to reach a common frame of reference.

As for rehash when has Stargate done anything like this before?
                    Why does it have to be stargate, sir?

Well you should when you debate. Makes your arguement weak and more flawed
                    I'm not sure if I understand.

Comment

Wouldn't that fit under subjective, sir?
                      Yep
                      I disagree, sir.
                      I think we've failed to reach a common frame of reference.
                      Then that is your loss. People's actions aren't defined by their age group. The way people act is more based on their enviroment and how they were raised. So just because a character or characters act a certain way doesn't mean they belong to this age group. This could also be applied to to race and gender among other things. So its unfair to define a show because how a character acts. More often then not a show is defined on the situations characters are faced. Science fiction shows are identified because they deal with scientific shows for example.

Why does it have to be stargate, sir?
                      Because to call it a rehash on other shows would be idiotic. Everything has been done so everything would be a rehash. The whole Stargate franchise would be a rehash.

I'm not sure if I understand.
                      It is advisiable to talk in truism in debating or an opponent will call you out as a flaw
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Then that is your loss. People's actions aren't defined by their age group. The way people act is more based on their enviroment and how they were raised. So just because a character or characters act a certain way doesn't mean they belong to this age group. This could also be applied to to race and gender among other things. So its unfair to define a show because how a character acts. More often then not a show is defined on the situations characters are faced. Science fiction shows are identified because they deal with scientific shows for example.
                        It maybe unfair but it is a scientific conclusion.
                        The thinking ability and method of teenagers is dramatically different from adults.

Because to call it a rehash on other shows would be idiotic. Everything has been done so everything would be a rehash. The whole Stargate franchise would be a rehash.
                        No, sir, not the whole, just the majority and no sir, not idiotic.
                        There have been truly unique episodes in Stargate which is the point of SCI FI. To entertain possibilities that wouldn't normally be possible. The concept of SGU goes against that SCI Foundation. SCI FI becomes background...a SCI DRAMA.

It is advisiable to talk in truism in debating or an opponent will call you out as a flaw
                        [/QUOTE]

Only the contentious, sir. But point taken.
                        I disagree with the necessity in terms of preemptive behavior.

Comment

It maybe unfair but it is a scientific conclusion.
                          The thinking ability and method of teenagers is dramatically different from adults.
                          No its not. Their is no concrete evidence needed for a conclusion in the scientific method. Just vague opinions

No, sir, not the whole, just the majority and no sir, not idiotic.
                          There have been truly unique episodes in Stargate which is the point of SCI FI. To entertain possibilities that wouldn't normally be possible. The concept of SGU goes against that SCI Foundation. SCI FI becomes background...a SCI DRAMA.
                          I guarntee you almost everything in Stargate has been done in some form before. The concept of a the stargate for example has been embedded in science fiction for decades. It what you do with those concepts that makes the difference.

You do know that is a subgenre of science fiction meaning it is science fiction. Even if that was true their have been unique things in SGU. Refueling through the sun and communication stones for example.

Only the contentious, sir. But point taken.
                          I disagree with the necessity in terms of preemptive behavior.
                          Huh?
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

No its not. Their is no concrete evidence needed for a conclusion in the scientific method. Just vague opinions
                            I'm not sure what you're saying, sir.

I guarntee you almost everything in Stargate has been done in some form before. The concept of a the stargate for example has been embedded in science fiction for decades. It what you do with those concepts that makes the difference.
                            I think we said the same thing.
                            However, I was thinking of something more specific than the concepts. I mean possibilities as situations, backgrounds, environments that would be truly alien for the background of human drama.
                            You do know that is a subgenre of science fiction meaning it is science fiction. Even if that was true their have been unique things in SGU. Refueling through the sun and communication stones for example.
                            Sir, with all due respect, that's unique to you. As I've declared before I have a long history with science fiction. Star Surfing is not a unique concept. In the video game and books of ELITE on the Commodore 64 your trading ship had the precarious and dangerous ability to skim a star for fuel.
                            True it's more unique than most but I've still encountered it quite a few times, what was unique about it in SGU is seeing it. (they did a superb job)

Huh?
                            If you react rather than act then you are susceptible to being manipulated.

Comment

Working...
                            X