This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please let something happen!!!

As someone who was hugely excited about SGU, I feel somewhat of a traitor for posting this thread but after Darkness I just couldn't shake the feeling.

For the love of god let something actually happen in SGU!! Darkness was exactly what it was expected to be. The power goes out so they try and fix it. The end. Roll credits.

I can't help this feeling of immense disappointment and sadness that has built up over the past few weeks now. Besides some quality acting and a couple of good characters, SGU on a whole for me is actually quite boring. I can honestly say that if I wasn't this stupid Stargate nut then I would never give SGU the time of day. I will keep watching of course but during Darkness I actually contemplated putting a load of washing on, knowing I wouldn't miss anything. Washing!! I don't do washing. Let alone when Stargate is on.

Am I being too harsh? The high expectations I had being unrealistic perhaps. Am I alone with these thoughts or do I have friends???
    sigpic

I was also annoyed that nothing happened or atleast they did nothing to save themselves

Comment

Darkness was one of my all-time favorite episodes in the entire franchise. I absolutely loved it. I can understand those wanting the plot to advance quicker, but I loved just about every second of this episode. The only thing I disliked was Young on Earth with his wife. Other than that, brilliant.
      But, to each their own.
      Last edited by reddevil18; 18 October 2009, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        Washing!! I don't do washing. Let alone when Stargate is on.
        maybe you're turning a new leaf?

i'm with you. and i don't think it's traitorous to say so! it comes from a place of love and i think you have loads of friends!

here's my take: all in all, kind of a throw away ep, which hurts its momentum. it also felt like a cheat in ways, "borrowing" the story from Atlantis' Pegasus Letters.

but i sort of see the point -- ok ya let's introduce all the characters here. i just think they could have done so more creatively.

thus far it seems they're stuck in an Atlantis mold.

what i'd like to see: i want them to explore the ship. explore the galaxies being visited. and i want Rush to evolve closer to a Daniel ("wow this is awesome") and further from a Rodney ("oh my god, we're going to die and i'm solely qualified to save us!").

we should probably give it a few episodes though (hell let's be honest, we'll probably even give it a few seasons because i'm too, like you say yourself, a nut .

here's hoping! or better yet, let's will it to happen!

Comment

I'm pretty much with reddevil on this one (including Young's wife/girlfriend);
          Though indeed it seems like that characters did actually do anything to alter their situation in this episode at all (the ship pretty much did everything, and they didn't influence that even one bit).
          The main reason this episode is very important though, is that it explained many unanswered questions, and also let the characters actually try to acclaim themselves into their new surroundings;
          It's my favorite episode of SGU so far (not even close to my favorite in the franchise though ) - and I wouldn't change it a bit - you also need to remember that it originally included the plot for 'Light' as well, but got separated into two later on - which probably means that the plot stretches a bit more then it should.
          sigpic

Comment

Am I being too harsh? The high expectations I had being unrealistic perhaps. Am I alone with these thoughts or do I have friends???
            I agree..... you are being too harsh.
            Wraith ships are giant lobsters.

Comment

Originally posted by antigravity View Post
              it also felt like a cheat in ways, "borrowing" the story from Atlantis' Pegasus Letters.
              So you think SGA come up with that idea?

thus far it seems they're stuck in an Atlantis mold.
              Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                Not even close.
                no? gate to some ancient designed mega-ship, immediately struggle with life-support and power issues and looming death? cranky scientist with big ego trying to fix everything? honestly, i could go on. the only piece missing is some alien foe.

i will say though, i wish Rodney or Sam would have a go at the seat by the device so one of them could help fix everything. O'neill should at least consider that position as one he can use to insert some help.

Comment

Originally posted by renboy View Post
                  you also need to remember that it originally included the plot for 'Light' as well, but got separated into two later on - which probably means that the plot stretches a bit more then it should.
                  Indeed. I actually had to remind myself of this. I do wish they wouldn't do so many episodes that are literally multi-parters...especially back-to-back like they did with the first few SGU eps.

I'd like to really get a momentum going, and I'm not quite feeling that way yet.
                  Sig by Pandora's Box
                  sigpic

Comment

Step back a minute, Phenom. We've just seen the first episode after the pilot and thus far we've had:

- travel aboard a new Earth battlecruiser
                    - an attack on an Earth base
                    - discovery of an ancient Ancient ship
                    - breathing crisis
                    - an offworld adventure/on-location shoot somewhere other than the Vancouver area
                    - the ship skimming a gas giant and firing itself at a star

I don't know how exciting your life is, but that's more than I've done in the last week
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

no? gate to some ancient designed mega-ship, immediately struggle with life-support and power issues and looming death? cranky scientist with big ego trying to fix everything? honestly, i could go on. the only piece missing is some alien foe.
                      See, you're using shallow points of comparison. Heck, Voyager started out that way...And BSG, of course, since those are the two favorite comparison models.
                      But it's the way these plot points are treated and resolved that makes the difference. By the end of "Rising", SGA had resolved all immediate threats and gone through the SG-1 treatment of picking up a main baddie as well as a token "alien" warrior. SGU hasn't actually resolved much. It's a slow simmer, as opposed to a raging inferno that then gets extinguished altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        I don't know how exciting your life is, but that's more than I've done in the last week
                        I started a revolution in Val Verde.

Comment

Originally posted by Musica View Post
                          I was also annoyed that nothing happened or atleast they did nothing to save themselves
                          Not just that but I'm having a distinct inpression that the ship is going to save the day, again.

Less they vent atmosphere to change course....

As someone who was hugely excited about SGU, I feel somewhat of a traitor for posting this thread but after Darkness I just couldn't shake the feeling.

For the love of god let something actually happen in SGU!! Darkness was exactly what it was expected to be. The power goes out so they try and fix it. The end. Roll credits.

I can't help this feeling of immense disappointment and sadness that has built up over the past few weeks now. Besides some quality acting and a couple of good characters, SGU on a whole for me is actually quite boring. I can honestly say that if I wasn't this stupid Stargate nut then I would never give SGU the time of day. I will keep watching of course but during Darkness I actually contemplated putting a load of washing on, knowing I wouldn't miss anything. Washing!! I don't do washing. Let alone when Stargate is on.

I am right there with you....
                          It was boring....massively boring....
                          Yet it was more intresting that the first 3 episodes when they started it off with Rush's crazy fit. I'm liking Rush's attitude....and little else from everyone else. I also agree that Youngs Wife issues were snoozing down field of "who cares".

Did you see his attitude when he found out Lou Diamond was questioning his authority? Not the reaction you want in a CO

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                            See, you're using shallow points of comparison. Heck, Voyager started out that way...And BSG, of course, since those are the two favorite comparison models.
                            ok. don't know either but i'll take your word for it. everything's on the shoulders of something else!

i totally agree though...nothing is certain yet. i was just pointing out that thus far the story hasn't diverged too much yet. except that it's evolving much more slowly, as you say.

there's clearly a lot of interesting things to build on though. some of which i forgot until DigiFluid pointed them out .

Comment

the only piece missing is some alien foe

I think thats actually why it feels a bit empty, in both the other stargate series they introduced the 'big enemy' as it were quite quickly, hell, in SG1 they didn't really need too due to the films. in atlantis we'd already seen the wraith, and fought them in the first 2 hours of the show. And we're what, 4 episodes into Universe now and we havent seen any major foes.

But then again, that may be the direction they're going for. The 'battle' at the minute is to just survive, the ships falling apart around them and so on. Also, I was thinking about this earlier before reading this, and was having a hard time trying to think of a new enemy race that could logically never have been seen / heard of. If the ship is travelling galaxies, any race that could logically threaten the ship (Or be an enemy for more than a few episodes / a series) should have already been heard of, or something. Im not sure.

I guess they could pull a wraith, and have a new galactic travelling enemy 'awaken' as it were. But im not sure, i don't think introducing a big enemy is at the top of the agenda at the minute. Also, theres the chance there is something / Someone else on the ship, on the lower decks or something

Also, first post here, so hi, hope it wasn't too bad xD. On a side note, is there a 'new user' forum or whatever i should post in? I couldn't see it

Comment

Working...
                              X