Silver Surfer movie never to happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Surfer movie never to happen?

Thanks to a poor fan4 showing I think Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's Silver Surfer is buried and won't make it to the big screen. However there are rumors Fox might try to reboot some of its franchises, anyone hear any more?

Fantastic Four is being rebooted, announced by Fox on the date Disney acquired Marvel, we may not hear Surfer news for a while.

Comment

some news

Interview with Actor Doug Jones

Where are we on another “Silver Surfer” movie?
      http://itsjustmovies.com/2222
      Your guess is as good as mine … probably better. There are still a couple of years left on their option for two more pictures with me, as a three-picture deal is quite standard when starting a franchise-potential character. But with all the “re-boot” talk of the Fantastic Four, I have no idea where that leaves the Silver Surfer end of things. I would love to re-visit this character. I do love Norrin Radd.

https://www.mtv.com/2008/08/27/alex-...-surfer-movie/

Alex Proyas blew the lid off rumors that he was going to be directing a “Silver Surfer” spin-off, claiming the news of his involvement was nothing more than idle internet chatter.There may be more to it than that, he told MTV News.
      Although he wouldn’t go so far as to say there was ever an official offer, why would he never even consider a “Silver Surfer” movie?

“Because it’s a Fox picture,” the “Dark City” helmer said. “And I’m determined never to work with them ever again because of my experience on ‘I,Robot.’”That’s bad news for fans of the first family of crimefighting and their various spin-off characters (like Surfer) since, as Chris Evans told MTV first last March, a ‘Fantastic Four 3” is probably never going to happen.

Of course, nobody really liked “Fantastic Four 2,” especially the subplot with the Surfer, Proyas argued.“It’s like the origin of Silver Surfer was in that movie, and I’m going,

‘This is such a f--king great story, why throw it away?’” Proyas wondered. “I think they messed it up.”

So with Surfer out of the way (and, for that matter, the F4 or the X-Men, both Fox properties) is there a comic book hero or villain Proyas would like to adapt?“You know, there aren’t that many left,” he sighed. “Silver Surfer would have been something I would have loved to have done. He’s one of the last cool ones left, really."
      Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap
      They had to fake the ratings
      They had to fake the ratings.
      Let it be known for all times there were once...

Comment

Green Lantern instead of the Surfer?

Doug Jones Unsure Of 'Silver Surfer' Movie, Addresses 'Green Lantern' Rumors
        http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/10/16/doug-jones-unsure-of-silver-surfer-movie-addresses-green-lantern-rumors/
        Even though the surfer is unlikely to appear in the "Fantastic Four" relaunch being scripted by Michael Green, there’s an entire universe of space-dwellers to play—most notably a rumored role in the upcoming “Green Lantern” adaptation starring Ryan Reynolds. According to Jones, however, he’s yet to receive an offer.

“Am I going to play a part in the “Green Lantern” movie? I did hear such a rumor a couple of months ago, but no one has called me regarding this one yet. But if there’s a character I’m right for, I’d be quite interested to hear about it,” said Jones.
        Let it be known for all times there were once two planets in this system. The planet Lister made great television shows. The planet Liber made crap

Comment

I would prefer a reboot of it rather than a continuation of the style of the previous Fantastic Four films which i thought were very dissapointing.
          sigpic

Comment

I don't want to see reboots of Fantastic Four. They weren't that great, so the sensible thing is to stop making them, just like they did with Daredevil. Sure they tried to spin it off, but when that failed, they stopped. That's good common sense.

I wasn't fond that Hulk got a reboot (and ultimately was more dumbed down and focused on action) and I think that if the two F4 making over 600 million at the box office (combined) isn't good enough for the studio, then a reboot so soon won't help. A reboot of Fantastic Four will involve 5 minutes of Reed technobabble then 95 minutes of action with gratuitous nudity from the actress playing Susan (which didn't really seem to help the first two).

Just look at Hulk, first cost less and still made more than the reboot. Less said about Punisher: War Zone the better.

So I think that scrubbing the Silver Surfer movie because F4 failed isn't exactly giving the character a chance. They'd have to pretty much remake the second F4 movie just to reintroduce the character and then it still risks the chance of the character not getting his own movie. They should do the movie, ignore as much as F4 as possible and give the character a chance.

sigpic

Comment

Possible movement on Silver Surfer movie?

JMSNews Forums > Discussion > Movies

http://jmsnews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3978

On Oct 23, 12:51 pm, Jan <[email protected]> wrote:
              > JMS:
              >
              > I noticed a few weeks ago that IMDB had changed Silver Surfer's status from
              > 'Unknown' to being back in development:
              >
              > Project Notes
              > All dates refer to when the comment was entered
              > 18 June 2007 Optioned Property
              >
              > 30 June 2007 Script
              >
              > 1 July 2008 Development Unknown
              >
              > 8 October 2009 Script
              > In active development at Fox.
              >
              > And this morning there this article was linked to on another forum:http://www.examiner.com/x-18039-Capi...-Examiner~y200...
              >
              > ..so I wondered if you've heard anything new that you can share?
              >

Nope. My guess is that since my draft was closely tied into FF2,
              which is ancient now, they've struck off in a different direction.

jms

Comment

the only place Surfer appears these days is Marvel Super Hero Squad

http://psp.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r35370.htm

game based on the kid’s animated show called “The Super Hero Squad Show.”

Comment

According to Wikipedia, we have:

Iron Man 2
                  Spider-Man 4
                  Thor
                  The First Avenger: Captain America
                  The Avengers
                  X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2
                  Deadpool

To hopefully look forward to. Which, for me, looks like a great line-up, perhaps a little bit concerned about Spider-Man 4, but still have hopes. They're all pretty solid, relatively well-known characters, and should prove interesting.

I really don't see how they could put forth a Silver Surfer movie. Him flying around space, finding planets and being angsty about it.

For DC, we seem to have

Jonah Hex
                  Green Lantern
                  Batman 3
                  Lobo

Which isn't too shabby either

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                    I really don't see how they could put forth a Silver Surfer movie. Him flying around space, finding planets and being angsty about it.
                    You can have a less angsty, less intelligent more cowabunga version

superherosquad profile
                    http://www.comicvine.com/super-hero-...ofile/112-546/

His cartoon personality is a lot more upbeat and wacky than your typical comicbook version of Silver Surfer

Comment

'Silver Surfer' Movie's Not Dead, But Is J. Michael Straczynski Still Involved?

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/12/01...till-involved/

The reports of the Silver Surfer's death are greatly exaggerated, according to screenwriter and comic book author J. Michael Straczynski.

In a recent interview, the "Ninja Assassin" scribe revealed that he wasn't sure what the status of the "Silver Surfer" movie was following the announced decision to reboot the "Fantastic Four" property. Now, Straczynski is clarifying his comments, beginning with the widespread reports that the "Silver Surfer" movie has been benched.

"When I was asked about the Silver Surfer script, I responded about the one I'd written around the time that ['Fantastic Four 2'] was launched, and was designed to pick up where that one left off," said the writer in an e-mail to IGN.

"When FF2 didn't do as well as hoped for, the script was set aside, but that has NOTHING to do with the Silver Surfer script that is NOW under development at Fox with other folks," he added. "As far as I know, that is proceeding apace. So the hysteria that's gripped the nets about 'ohmygod the Surfer movie is dead!' is not correct, as I was again referring to only that one specific script tied into FF2, NOT what's being done now."

While "Surfer Surfer" might still be flying at Fox, it sounds as if Straczynski himself is no longer on board based on the "other folks" portion of his comments. Personally, I'll be pretty bummed if that's the case. Straczynski's science fiction sensibilities and his description of the project as "adult fare" had me pretty psyched for "Silver Surfer."

That's not to say that another writer couldn't tackle the material equally well, though I'm curious to see what the next step in the saga of the troubled "Silver Surfer" adaptation ends up being.
                      sounds like it might happen but its still in limbo

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                      According to Wikipedia, we have:

Iron Man 2
                      Spider-Man 4
                      Thor
                      The First Avenger: Captain America
                      The Avengers
                      X-Men Origins: Wolverine 2
                      Deadpool

To hopefully look forward to. Which, for me, looks like a great line-up, perhaps a little bit concerned about Spider-Man 4, but still have hopes. They're all pretty solid, relatively well-known characters, and should prove interesting.

For DC, we seem to have

Jonah Hex
                      Green Lantern
                      Batman 3
                      Lobo

Which isn't too shabby either
                      Thor, Ironman or Xmen sound like more bankable hits

Loki would be played by actor Tom Hiddleston, who has worked with Branagh in the past. Chris Hemsworth will play Thor. Natalie Portman will be playing Jane Foster.[13] In September 2009, it was reported that Jaimie Alexander and Colm Feore have joined the cast of Thor. Alexander will portray Sif. Anthony Hopkins had been cast to play Odin

Comment

If you still haven't quite warmed up to "Heroing up" with Cartoon Network's "The Super Hero Squad Show" this season, this Saturday's season finale may be a decent episode to try out. After all, its not every episode that Galactus rolls into town.

The destroyer of worlds is headed to Super Hero City for an all-he-can-eat buffet lead by heralds Firelord and Stardust (not the charming Neil Gaiman tale, the cosmic lady who loves to kill things). Something tells me The Super Hero Squad stands a chance of putting a stop to that plan, however.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/0...quad-galactus/

Comment

Working...
                        X