Use of the Kino in 'Darkness'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of the Kino in 'Darkness'

Anyone else find it interesting how they used the kino's to record messages & get the characters to admit stuff ('I don't wanna die out here', etc) or give insight into characters?

I am really liking this 'breaking down the 4th wall' thing TPTB have going & am glad they've bought the kino into this series, it has so many uses & I think will make for some excellent story-telling IMHO.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by akren View Post
    Anyone else find it interesting how they used the kino's to record messages & get the characters to admit stuff ('I don't wanna die out here', etc) or give insight into characters?

I am really liking this 'breaking down the 4th wall' thing TPTB have going & am glad they've bought the kino into this series, it has so many uses & I think will make for some excellent story-telling IMHO.

Thoughts?
    I'm liking the KinoVision. I think there are many different possibilities for storytelling and plot with Kinos. I also think that this way, we're getting getting a view of the characters--both literally and metaphorically--that wasn't seen very often on SG-1 or Atlantis.

I'm thinking that somewhere down the road, we're going to see an episode entirely from the POV of a Kino. That would be great!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      I'm liking the KinoVision. I think there are many different possibilities for storytelling and plot with Kinos. I also think that this way, we're getting getting a view of the characters--both literally and metaphorically--that wasn't seen very often on SG-1 or Atlantis.

I'm thinking that somewhere down the road, we're going to see an episode entirely from the POV of a Kino. That would be great!
      That would be cool.

I also think it's only a matter of time before one of the kinos discovers something bad about the ship the characters didn't know abut or someone (namely Eli) reviews kino footage after it has been following certain crew members around - *cough* Rush *cough* - & reocrds something that wasn't meant to be seen/heard & gets people in a world of trouble. . .

Comment

That would be cool.

I also think it's only a matter of time before one of the kinos discovers something bad about the ship the characters didn't know abut or someone (namely Eli) reviews kino footage after it has been following certain crew members around - *cough* Rush *cough* - & reocrds something that wasn't meant to be seen/heard & gets people in a world of trouble. . .
        Well, we got a little bit of a hint with that already, with Eli "showing" Riley how to operate the Kino and Vanessa James getting pissed off as a result. "I can and will kick your ass!" Priceless.

Comedic use aside, you're totally right about Kinos picking up convenient pieces of information that should perhaps be kept confidential. Gossip and rumors aboard a ship can be problematic already. But Kino abuse could potentially cause serious problems with security and exacerbate personal conflicts between crew members. Because it can be a plot device and a catalyst for conflict, Kinos are perhaps one of the best "inventions" TPTB have come up with for SGU.

Kino abuse...almost sounds like a drug issue.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
          Kino abuse...almost sounds like a drug issue.
          Looks like Eli & I will be in the same 'Kino Abusers Anonymous' (KAA for short) group. Now if you excuse, me I am off to abuse my kino (why does that sound oddly disturbing for crying out loud?!?). . .

Comment

Just made a Kino Abusers Anonymous thread in Fun & Games section of the fourms: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...4#post10715214

Have fun!

Comment

The Kino is one of my favourite aspects of this show. Such a tiny ball, just a flying MALP really, and we've all got a little love for it.
              The interviews in Darkness made the episode great, and gave me some new characters to watch out for a little more.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

The Kino stuff was great, a really interesting way to introduce use to the supporting cast members.

The scene with Eli, Riley and that hot girl was great. I am with Eli on that one however, "Hi my Name is MechaThor and I Abuse by Kino privillages".

I am looking forward to an epsiode down the road where something or someone takes control of the Kino and uses against the crew.
                sigpic
                Banner Made By Me for Me
                The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Looks like Eli & I will be in the same 'Kino Abusers Anonymous' (KAA for short) group. Now if you excuse, me I am off to abuse my kino (why does that sound oddly disturbing for crying out loud?!?). . .
                  Lmao...I was just thinking....it took them this long to figure out the best use for this device?

Comment

Yes - Kino is good idea. But C.O. poor use it. And generally work cameraman spoil the impression from the show. He sometimes works well, and sometimes begins to hide the gaps in their skills for pseudo-style. But everything is much simpler - he is a mediocre c.o. pfffff Once upon a time I was out of stupidity graduated from Sovetskij Kinotehnikum ( movie college in town Sovetsk , one of the two in exUSSR), specializing -repair and maintenance of audiovisual equipment and soundman. And sorry but errors is visible. Perhaps because the operator uses not studied them sufficiently techniques. Or .....
                    Well, contrary to popular human belief, the Earth is not the centre of the galaxy. (c) ARIS BOCH
                    SGU DEAD - Good News !!!

Comment

It was used in a great way to put a spotlight on some of the secondary characters.

Comment

not impressed with the kino usage...who saw the use of kinos to spy on the ladies by Eli??? I saw that coming. the use of the kinos for the character intros...boring...I do not want to hear someone in SF whine. (special forces is supposed to be the best of the best...uh huh like she would be that???) I ffwd all of them, too dull and did not move the story forward one bit!

Comment

Thoughts?
                          No. Too much like Letters from Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                            No. Too much like Letters from Pegasus.
                            and about 20 other shows in the past decade
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              and about 20 other shows in the past decade
                              Possibly

But this is by the same bunch of writers....

Comment

Working...
                              X