No announcement yet.

SGU Tech & Plot lacking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yet you said hardcore fans, which would indicate any long-time watcher.

the major complaining group however, from observation, seems to be primarily SGA fans.

and before people start screaming, SGA (and nobody can deny that) was more about action than about actual plot depth. or atleast, later on it became.

for these people, the leap from SGA to SGU is huge. for SGA, at the end of a episode, your mind was still halfway, trying to understand what happened, as it was action after action after action.

EATG for instance was an incredible rush, just ramming in as much action as humanly possible.

SGU is slow because so much has to be explained and worked out. this is about how people react, and if we spent the first 3 episodes just with action and then SGU slams on the breaks and then goes to explain how the characters act, then everyone is like "WTF" /end show

Comment

I put it in quotes for a reason.
      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

you put what in qoutes?

Comment

Originally posted by sg-theory View Post
          So, my thoughts.
          1) The FTL, may or may not be faster than Hyperspace, it could have been so power hungry that it was deemed not worth it in typical ships, but hyperspace travel could consume a fraction of the power??? Thoughts???
          2) If the communication stones cause minds to swap between bodies, then why is it that Carter, Zlenka, McKay etc have not been brought onboard in mind swaps with some useless crew members to help solve some of these ships problems?
          3) SGU seems like a Battlestar Galactica remake so far (with Baltar basically being Stasiak), part of what intrigues us with SCI FI is the concepts & thinking through all this wonderful technology, not the drama and soap opera that is being created.
          4) What good are stargates left on planets by seeder ships without DHDs, if inhabitants ever did occurr on a seeded planet, then how would they use the stargates and none are close enough to earth to dial?
          5)The ships sent way out MUST have a recharge ability, suns, nebulas, or something and the ability to collect necessary resources to fabricate stargates automatically, but with only a few gates per massive FTL jump, what is the point of a stargate network of four gates too far to reach from Pegasus or Milky Way other than seeding new life in other galaxies?
          6) The plot needs to speed up, less drama, more learning of secrets, tapping into a deeper ancients understanding and the roots of their technology and beliefs..
          1. We don't know yet. Common sense tells you that the FTL the Destiny uses isn't as good for one reason or another as hyperspace travel, though. If it was, nobody would use hyperspace, including the Ancients.

2. They want to keep the shows as separate as can be. Bringing in Carter or McKay to solve all the problems would be about as far from this as you can get.

3. Stasiak? I believe this character was re-named Greer and is nothing like Baltar in any way. Baltar was a brilliant scientist who was extremely shallow. Did you mean Rush? Rush is nothing like Baltar. They have completely different motivations.

4. Why would the Ancients care if inhabitants of worlds could use the Stargate? The Ancients weren't in the business of charity and weren't seeding the universe with gates so other races would have a means to travel through the stars. They were seeding them so they, themselves, could explore those galaxies very easily. They most likely didn't give a crap if anybody else could use them.

5. It most likely does. The speculation is rampant on the Destiny using the sun it's on a collision course with to recharge its power supply.

6. You clearly didn't read what the show was about before you started watching. It's been explained, ad nauseam, that this is show going to be about the characters stuck on the Destiny. What it is most certainly not intended to be about is the Ancients and their technology. Those things are simply backdrops for the character drama the show is intended to be. Again, this information was given over a year ago when the show was announced.

Comment

Personally, I only accept cameos if they only take up a short time and, if they take up a long time, actually serve to develop the show's main characters. From your scenerio, I see no reason why McKay or Carter should show up if they aren't actually going to do anything. How would that help to develop the SGU characters? No, seeing McKay freak out just for the sake of seeing McKay doesn't interest me at all.
            It's not so much about having a working ship being a deterrent for stories, but rather I want to see these characters solve the problems themselves.
            Fortunately the SG writers don't consult your logic before green lighting a script. Unfortunately for SG fans, the SG writers are consulting someone with far worse deductive reasoning. You suggest as do many others that Carter & McKay will do their magic dance & that will ruin SGU, WHILE forgetting the writers are the ones scripting that dance. If you hate the way both of them solve problems quit blaming the characters, & wake up to the fact that the writers wrote them that way! When you're done doing that, you can bask in the reality that those same writers can write new angles to shed what you fear!
            If all those SGU characters have to offer can be undone by fixing the simple ship problems, they are not characters worth our time!!! Also don't name it 'Universe!' Name it SGD, for Stargate Destiny etc, don't ruin the chance to make a future project named SGU which might actually explore the universe instead of a bunch of dopes on a ship! How can you possibly miss that point?!? Just as you purposefully ignored where I suggested inventing new characters to help, if the whole Carter/McKay cameo is such an incredible issue!
            Spoiler:
            Isn't it hilarious how you bat down my valid argument in the name of that which will never be!? How splendid their own doing was in solving anything!!!!! One day you will realize your desires & longings, just never were on the table, just as mine were not, & your posts will read as frustrated as you now find mine. None of your arguments have served as plot solutions as of yet.

Stop attempting to pick apart my arguments, PG. I don't mind debate, but your style is lacking, in that you depend on what never is explored to thwart my argument for what should be explored! I say again, McKay only freaks out, b/c the writers make him do so. McKay & Carter could possibly find a solution which does fix parts of the ship, but rapes a solar system of essential resources to the point of its destruction/supernova, which would be interesting if done right, etc. The main point is the SGC would use the stones to help these people!
            If magic wands are dumb, put them away, but to say we need to pretend the SGC would do things the wrong way for the sake of making the wrong people worth watching is...telling.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
              The technology is just a way to introduce drama amongst the characters.
              And that is the whole problem with the series, they've turned deus ex machina into a Drama Tool instead of a plot tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                And that is the whole problem with the series, they've turned deus ex machina into a Drama Tool instead of a plot tool.
                1)Since the stones have established history they are not Deus Ex Machina's
                2)Technically drama tools and plot tools are the same thing (ie plot devices)
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I was not speaking of the stones, sir.
                  And, sir, I don't see how drama tools, and plot tools can be equivalent except in isolated situations, mostly because I don't see the drama as necessarily being a Plot, nor the Plot necessarily the Drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Saquist View Post
                    I was not speaking of the stones, sir.
                    And, sir, I don't see how drama tools, and plot tools can be equivalent except in isolated situations, mostly because I don't see the drama as necessarily being a Plot, nor the Plot necessarily the Drama.
                    Because they are both plot devices
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      too many do
                      It does seem that way. And for the newbie (so it seems) here is my thoughts from elsewhere.

OK. We know from both SG1 and SGA when people use those stones what happens to one body is felt in the other while linked. Do you honestly think that someone on that ship would be willing to let their body get fraked by swapping out with someone who is known to blow up stars/systems so he can tinker? Do you think carter or Mccay would willingly use them knowing if something messed up there, not only would the body of the one they inhabited die, but so would they back on earth?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        not even CARTER can solve something without ANY resources.
                        Vicious lies!! Carter BLEW UP A STAR!!!

...Valtharus of the Asuran...

Comment

There would be no plot holes if you ignore SG1 and SGA stuff. I think this show is meant for newer audiences and we should appreciate that at least Stargate is still on TV.

Comment

Working...
                          X