Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The power problem (spoilers for Darkness)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The power problem (spoilers for Darkness)

Spoiler:
    Anyone else think that flying into the star is going to be how Destiny recharges?
    Last edited by jds1982; 16 October 2009, 06:14 PM.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Spoiler:
    Humm...maybe. Guess the ship could have super solar panels or something. Though it sure looks a lot more like an 'end of the show cliff hanger'. They don't want the ship to be too powerful. If the ship can always fix everything, that leaves no room for drama. They could just sit back every week and say 'oh the ship will fix it'.

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
      Spoiler:
      Anyone else think that flying into the star is going to be how Destiny recharges?
      I think that is exactly the reason.

Comment

me too...its going to eat the star

Comment

Yeah it's going to fly into the star or something.... rush is going to tell everyone to remain calm and that it's going to be ok because that is how they are going to recharge.... But nobody will believe him and they will try to **** **** up like they normally do.

Comment

I think that's a good idea, but it seems somewhat funny that it would drain it's power so low before recharging. If it was fired upon / out in the middle of no where with no sun, it'd be outta luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
              I think that is exactly the reason.
              It is a good possibility.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

One thing I was wondering about, in regards to the power problems onboard, is whether or not there is any Naquadah on Destiny. Since Destiny's mission was to seed the universe with gates wouldn't that mean that there would be large stores of the mineral on board? I am, of course, assuming that there are still gates left to deploy.

Comment

You know I've been wondering what kind of power source the Destiny must be using. So far it's more or less impossible to tell, but I wonder if the ship might not have the capacity to behave like a Bussard Ramjet. Perhaps the whole "collision course" with this red dwarf star is a means to restock Hydrogen to power the ship's fusion reactors. There already seems to be an implication that the ship has a bit of a mind of its own, and who knows; there's certainly a lot more hydrogen and deuterium near a star then in the void between the stars.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled in the next episode; it does seem exceedingly unlikely that the ship would be destroyed at this point.

Comment

You know I've been wondering what kind of power source the Destiny must be using. So far it's more or less impossible to tell, but I wonder if the ship might not have the capacity to behave like a Bussard Ramjet. Perhaps the whole "collision course" with this red dwarf star is a means to restock Hydrogen to power the ship's fusion reactors. There already seems to be an implication that the ship has a bit of a mind of its own, and who knows; there's certainly a lot more hydrogen and deuterium near a star then in the void between the stars.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled in the next episode; it does seem exceedingly unlikely that the ship would be destroyed at this point.

Comment

The Destiny is not the ship making the gates, that is the seeder ships. BUT even if they had it, how would they use it. THey have no Naquida power units.

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Yes..it will.

Originally posted by briiguy View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        Humm...maybe. Guess the ship could have super solar panels or something. Though it sure looks a lot more like an 'end of the show cliff hanger'. They don't want the ship to be too powerful. If the ship can always fix everything, that leaves no room for drama. They could just sit back every week and say 'oh the ship will fix it'.
                        Spoiler:
                        You know, I kinda disagree. They don't know what the ship is doing. And they don't know if the problem is something the ship usually does -- like a routine maintenance, kinda like recharging it's batteries. But if the problem is the FTL blows up...the ship wont be able to fix it....or will it? Right there is drama, because the writers can make half the crew sit around and do nothing while Rush screams and says this is for real, and Young trys to get everyone to work together...thats drama. So yea...

Comment

Spoiler:
                          Ok so from Air 1-3 we have determined that Destiny does have some sort of advanced programming / AI... So my guess is that's why rush isnlocked out of the main systems. It is also why the ship is on a collission course with the sun. As someone suggested earlier it probably hassome sort of refueling properties. It would be mighty stupid of the ancients to build a ship that they plan for long term space exploration that can not easily be resupplied/refueled.

As for why it let it's reserves go so low, I would imagine it is due to people being on board and destiny not able to calculate for the unpredictability of what the crew will turn on.

Comment

Spoiler:
                            I was thinking the same thing, the ship is too smart to intentionally plot a course directly into a star without a good reason. It's also safe to assume that the ship has some way to recharge itself considering it's been traveling what, 500,000+ years, even ZPMs don't last that long. A better question is whether or not whatever system is going to recharge or refuel the ship still works... Or if they will have to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                              One thing I was wondering about, in regards to the power problems onboard, is whether or not there is any Naquadah on Destiny. Since Destiny's mission was to seed the universe with gates wouldn't that mean that there would be large stores of the mineral on board? I am, of course, assuming that there are still gates left to deploy.
                              Destiny wasn't the ship seeding the gates. They said in the first episode that it followed ships that seeded the galaxies with gates.
                              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X