Where/when is Sanctuary set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where/when is Sanctuary set?

I've just got my season one DVD set, and am re-watching the show from the beginning, and I'm curious.

The everyday technology seems similar to ours (plus a little extra sci-fi bling here and there), but the city they're in seems to have odd patches of destruction - like the Brooklyn Bridge lookalike that's missing the actual span of the bridge, or the skyscraper where Ashley meets the winged crime boss. (Even the view of the city from there looks as though it might have been through a war).

In the pilot the bridge (to be honest, I'm not sure it's even the same one) looked enough like the Brooklyn Bridge for me to think that the Sanctuary was on the waterfront in New York, but when the...um...thingummy...Cabal(?) come looking for the three girls whose name I have also forgotten, one of them checks a gadget which shows a map of America with a flashing dot at the upper left - apparently showing the Sanctuary in...oh...Oregon, or something.

Has anyone pieced together enough information to answer this yet?

I was under the impression the Sanctuary is in NYC, present day.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I was under the impression the Sanctuary is in NYC, present day.
      I thought that through the pilot, but when the Cabal (?) are tracking the three sisters their leader picks up a GPS unit:

...which shows them to be on the East Coast.

Close-up:

...so...yeah. I'm mildly confused. Interested...but confused.

Comment

Sanctuary is in a fictitious City (Old City, with New City across the river) somewhere in the North West part of the North American continent. They leave it vague on purpose. Listen to the commentaries for this information.

And those screen shots show them to be on the west coast, not east coast.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
          Sanctuary is in a fictitious City (Old City, with New City across the river) somewhere in the North West part of the North American continent. They leave it vague on purpose. Listen to the commentaries for this information.

And those screen shots show them to be on the west coast, not east coast.
          Aaaaaaah, thanks. Haven't got to the commentaries yet.

Also: <headdesk>

Apparently I don't know my West Coast from my Right...

Comment

Its gotta be close to Vancouver

EoN pt1

Spoiler:
            A little while after Kate escapes from Helen and co. she calls the cabal, but they try to kill her. Shortly after, she shows up at the Sanctuary, injured. I'm betting she couldn't have gotten very far, so I'm thinking Seattle or an alt. version of Seattle. Its the closest major west coast city that I can think of.
            Spoiler:
            Canceling SGU and letting the cast find out via twitter?

image from: http://www.capricatimes.com/imagine-less-web-banners

sigpic

Comment

I though i saw the Brooklyn bridge at the end of EoN pt 1
              Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
              Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

It's a fictional city, they probably just a few existing buildings and landmarks instead of having to generate them all themselves.
                sigpic

Comment

I can't ever remember hearing where the Santuary was located? Does anyone know what city?
                  sigpic There are my dogs!

If you had to chose, die or watch the world die, what would you pick?"

Comment

All I know is I believe it is either called Old City or New City!! Don't know if it is a actually city. Though it kind of looks like New York everytime than pan out the view!!
                    MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                    MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                    POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                    CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                    GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                    VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                    FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

I think they are in between, they can see new city across the water. So maybe they are set up in Old City. lol!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by badwolfSG View Post
                        I can't ever remember hearing where the Santuary was located? Does anyone know what city?
                        Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                        All I know is I believe it is either called Old City or New City!! Don't know if it is a actually city. Though it kind of looks like New York everytime than pan out the view!!
                        The basic plot for the latest Sanctuary episode here says New York.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

the new city definetely looks like new york, and i think thats the brooklyn bridge we see sometimes, so would the sanctuary be in brooklyn, obviously some kind of alternative brooklyn though

Comment

it's called 'old city' and 'new city' but seems to be located in the pacific northest
                            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I think it's not supposed to be any real city--like you said, they call it Old City and New City.

Comment

Working...
                              X