Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colonel Everett Young/Tamara Johansen Friendship Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonel Everett Young/Tamara Johansen Friendship Discussion and Appreciation Thread

I tried searching but couldn't find a thread like this so.....

I've liked what I've seen so far so decided to make a friendship thread for these two. This is a Friendship thread, not a romantic relationship thread

As I said I think these two have a good dynamic and they could become really good friends over time. From what I've seen so far they seemed to have developed a bond
    sigpic

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
    I tried searching but couldn't find a thread like this so.....

I've liked what I've seen so far so decided to make a friendship thread for these two. This is a Friendship thread, not a romantic relationship thread

As I said I think these two have a good dynamic and they could become really good friends over time. From what I've seen so far they seemed to have developed a bond
    I think you bring up an interesting point with the thread. It's often assumed that if a man and woman become close, that it's automatically assumed that there's romance in the works. That's not necessarily the case. One of the most successful platonic relationships I've seen in science fiction is between Sheridan & Ivanova in Babylon 5.

Now what we've seen with TJ and Young admittedly hasn't been developed very much but a similar friendship is quite possible with the two of them. They trust each other greatly on a professional level. This comes, I think, from them knowing where the other stands and being solid on that, with no ambiguity. Ambiguity--not knowing where the other party stands on any issue--is what creates relationship misunderstandings in the first place. I think this is the basis for the TJ/Young dynamic they have right now. I personally like this dynamic and hope TPTB don't try to make it something more.

Good, solid, platonic relationships do occur in real life and fiction. I can cite a real-life personal example in my personal life. Without going into incredible detail, my current closest friend is a woman who is not even remotely interested in me in a romantic sense. Conversely, I'm not interested in her romantically either and it's been like this for as long as we've known each other. That's not going to change.

I hope SGU explores the platonic relationship dynamic because I personally think it will result in more mature, thoughtful, and interesting drama.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
      I think you bring up an interesting point with the thread. It's often assumed that if a man and woman become close, that it's automatically assumed that there's romance in the works. That's not necessarily the case. One of the most successful platonic relationships I've seen in science fiction is between Sheridan & Ivanova in Babylon 5.

Now what we've seen with TJ and Young admittedly hasn't been developed very much but a similar friendship is quite possible with the two of them. They trust each other greatly on a professional level. This comes, I think, from them knowing where the other stands and being solid on that, with no ambiguity. Ambiguity--not knowing where the other party stands on any issue--is what creates relationship misunderstandings in the first place. I think this is the basis for the TJ/Young dynamic they have right now. I personally like this dynamic and hope TPTB don't try to make it something more.

Good, solid, platonic relationships do occur in real life and fiction. I can cite a real-life personal example in my personal life. Without going into incredible detail, my current closest friend is a woman who is not even remotely interested in me in a romantic sense. Conversely, I'm not interested in her romantically either and it's been like this for as long as we've known each other. That's not going to change.

I hope SGU explores the platonic relationship dynamic because I personally think it will result in more mature, thoughtful, and interesting drama.
      Yes exactly, two members of the opposite sex can be good friends without it having to turn romantic. My best friend is male and we've never thought of each other in a romantic sense. Male and females can be the best of frineds without it having to turn to romance all the time.

The Sheridan/Ivanova example you brought up is a prime example of this. They had great chemisrtry and good dynamic.

It's still early days yet for Young/TJ but from what I've seen so far I think this could develop into a really interesting friendship as long as the writers keep the romance out. They don't have to ship everybody they come across They seen to have a trust of one another, I'd like the writers to explore this relationship more in the coming months And don't turn it into UST or romance
      sigpic

Comment

Possible spoilers...for SGU.

That Col. Young and Tamara Johansen had some kind of relationship pre Destiny and that is at ;east part of why she was leaving the Icarus base? They seem to know each other pretty well and have some kind of history (when she said "that part isnt you fault"). The scene that has really made me start to think about this was when in episode 4 she knew almost right away that it was Telford in Young s body.

Comment

I would tend to agree

Also I think that if he hadn't cheated on his wife with Johansen (which is my theory), that he would be a lot more pissy at Rush for the situation...'cause he'd want to go home and see his wife...

Spoiler:

"Consider her reassigned"
          "But sir, we don't know why she was unassigned in the first place"
          "That's not my business..." I think it went something like that...

Comment

Nope I didn't think that. They seem more like friends than lovers to me. I didn't get that we're having an affair vibe from them. And I hope the writers don't write it in as that
            sigpic

Comment

Putting this in spoilers even though this thread is already technically warned for spoilers:
              Spoiler:
              There has been several confirmations by actors/writers that Young and Johansen did have an affair together. And by confirmations I don't mean it's been hinted at. It's been explicitly stated many times.

It seems now that they've moved beyond that and are stuck somewhere between that awkwardness and a professional military relationship between an officer and a C.O., but what happened between them will always be there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason_Clement View Post
                I would tend to agree

Also I think that if he hadn't cheated on his wife with Johansen (which is my theory), that he would be a lot more pissy at Rush for the situation...'cause he'd want to go home and see his wife...

Spoiler:

"Consider her reassigned"
                "But sir, we don't know why she was unassigned in the first place"
                "That's not my business..." I think it went something like that...
                it was like this

WRAY: There's still dozens of human resources issues we need to talk about.
                YOUNG: Pick one.
                WRAY: The matter of Lieutenant Johansen resigning her commission.
                YOUNG: Consider her reactivated.
                WRAY: Well, I don't know if that's up to ...
                YOUNG (interrupting): Up to me? Yeah, it is. We need a medic.
                WRAY: I don't even know why she resigned in the first place.
                YOUNG: Well, it's none of my business.

Comment

That scene between Wray and Young was what got me somehow. Until now we only saw a bit from her perspective (the scene between TJ and Wray in "Air1/2" and the little scene where Young says that she should have been shipped back two weeks ago), in "Darkness" we got a few glimpses from his perspective (the scene with Wray and the scene with his wife when she told him it wasn't only about the job - that made it pretty obvious to me that his wife knew about the affair). I'm curious to see how they develop this whole thing.
                  I'm a 60%er.

I will always place the mission first.
                  I will never accept defeat.
                  I will never quit.
                  I will never leave a fallen comrade.
                  ------
                  "There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives."

Comment

Video. 2:10 SPOILERS!

There you see
                    Spoiler:
                    Young and TJ kissing.

And have a look at this:
                    http://sky1.sky.com/stargate-univers...eira-interview SPOILERS
                    A black hole swallowed this sig pic.

Comment

Well you do know about this?

Video. 2:10 SPOILERS!

There you see
                      Spoiler:
                      Young and TJ kissing.

And have a look at this:
                      http://sky1.sky.com/stargate-univers...eira-interview SPOILERS

So there will be/was more than friendship... However I think it might become a good friendship over the run of the series, but there will be more "romantic" stuff first probably.

Comment

*covers eyes* NOt looking not looking

Well I don't mind if they did have a romance in the past, I would want them to move past this and not dwell, I would hope they were mature enough to move past in and they could perhaps form a good friendship because presonally I think they could become good friends given the right development from the writers.

The thing I have a problem with is the current PTB to write this out maturely and properly. I don't have faith that they can do this. They have proven time and again in the past they are not capable of this so my faith in them is a little low
                        sigpic

Comment

I agree they could "become good friends given the right development from the writers."

The thing I have a problem with is the current PTB to write this out maturely and properly. I don't have faith that they can do this. They have proven time and again in the past they are not capable of this so my faith in them is a little low.
                          I understand.

I also came in to promote my new thread:
                          TJ(Tamara Johansen)/Everett Young Impact/Speculation/Discussion *Spoilers!*

Comment

I agree they could "become good friends given the right development from the writers."

The thing I have a problem with is the current PTB to write this out maturely and properly. I don't have faith that they can do this. They have proven time and again in the past they are not capable of this so my faith in them is a little low.
                            I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jper View Post

I understand.

Man GW is going nuts tonight. There's a lot of double posts going on, I thought I was seeing double in the Sam/Jack thread

I saw your new thread, I'll post tomorrow when my brain starts working properly again. It's way too late for meaningful thoughts
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X